Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I now delete iPhoto after upgrading to Photos

I have upgraded to photos synced everything across iCloud and everything seems to be fine.

I have a migrated library showing in iPhoto User uploaded file

showing a size of 43gb. I know it is not this size but is it safe to delete the iPhoto library. And also can I delete the iPhoto app its nearly 2gb

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 3:35 PM

Yes - but it is not recommended - it will save very little space and if you need either for any reason you will have difficulty getting them back

LN

7 replies

Apr 21, 2015 3:34 PM in response to pfladuke

I moved the iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary to an external drive as I was suspected that my cloud backup service would back it up requiring duplicate space. Removing it caused no issues. You can safely delete it if you are certain everything is OK but moving it to an external drive is safer just in case you change your mind. You can also delete iPhoto but it might be a good idea to wait awhile to be safe in case you decide you want to go back for some reason.

Can I now delete iPhoto after upgrading to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.