Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks on iOS 8.3 crashing/closing interactive books

I'm a writer and creates animated children's books for iBooks Store. Of course during all time I've testing them thoroughly on Mac before send them to Store using iBooks Proofer and iBooks.

Since iOS 8.3 I have observed my old books are crashing/closing or not opening on iPads. Just on iPads (normal on iPhones, Macs). My last book just open 3 pages and crashes as if the gadget had some memory issue. I've tested on 2 iPads II and a new Mini iPad Retina.

Someone suffering the same problem?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 4:30 PM

2 replies

May 29, 2015 10:36 AM in response to MiriamBR

I'm returning because my problems are not over yet. Actually worsened. Recently got a new iPad Air for testing/work but continue the same problems on iOS 8.3 with the same book (https://itunes.apple.com/br/book/luna/id982836844?mt=11).

First I've used Adobe Flash CC, inDesign CC and Adobe Media Encoder to create all animations and final EPUB. During the 7nd Page (second animation) it crashes and close the book just in iPad (iOS). Not crashes in iPhone or OSx.

Tired of seeing this happen I decided to recreate the entire book and animations now using iBooks Author and a now update with no issues. Now in addition to brake at the same point (second animation) some animations displays bugs during the presentations as you can see here: http://pt-br.tinypic.com/r/214uvc1/8

As I explained I don't have any explanation about all this bugs except because entire book is interactive. Or a big file (170MB).

I used several attempts to circumvent the problem: I exported in Flash for .mov only (no conversion to .mp4), imported to Quick Time and again exported for better compatibility. Nothing worked.

Before sending it to iBooks Store I did regular testing in iBooks Author and iPad and no such problems. Sometimes had these problems during the tests but I returned to convert the videos and seemed no longer have these issues.

iBooks on iOS 8.3 crashing/closing interactive books

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.