Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pro Video Formats 2.0.1 update issue with software update

I have installed the Pro Video Formats 2.0.1 update six times and it still keep showing up like I never updated.

Posted on Apr 21, 2015 6:37 PM

21 replies

Apr 21, 2015 11:41 PM in response to Mark Harbison

I was able to fix this by downloading the update from Apple Support, opening the package file with Pacifist, selecting the top-level item, and hitting the Install button. Pacifist installed it perfectly, and the update notices disappeared.

I'm not sure what the problem was, but I noticed that the update contained Application Support files for Compressor that Apple's Installer did not install. In fact, the Installer removed the Compressor folder when I created one!

I think maybe Apple got all the file and folder permissions wrong too, because after installing with either the Apple Installer or Pacifist, Disk Utility had a lot of permissions clean-up to do.

Apr 23, 2015 3:07 PM in response to Mark Harbison

I ran into this problem and found that it MAY be due to the fact that I have a "backup" folder for my Applications on another HD. I went into System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy and found the backup folder listed there. I deleted the folder from the list and the problem stopped. This may not have anything to do with the causes you are experiencing... but this isn't the first time I've run into problems with the App Store application installing software (I've had it update Motion to my backups first and NOT the main application folder!)

Apr 23, 2015 4:56 PM in response to Mark Harbison

Just called Apple support... here is the official fix.

1) Move all files from /Library/QuickTime/ to a temp older on desktop

2) Open AppStore and download/install update

3) Reboot

4) Copy any missing files from temp folder on desktop to /Library/QuickTime. For me this was 1 file, AppleMPEG2Codec.component.

Hope this helps someone!

-emde

Apr 23, 2015 8:30 PM in response to emde

emde wrote:

Just called Apple support... here is the official fix.

1) Move all files from /Library/QuickTime/ to a temp older on desktop

2) Open AppStore and download/install update

3) Reboot

4) Copy any missing files from temp folder on desktop to /Library/QuickTime. For me this was 1 file, AppleMPEG2Codec.component.

Hope this helps someone!

-emde

Worked for me... I also had to trash the codecs in the Qt folder before updated. A repair permission is needed when done.

Apr 24, 2015 3:21 AM in response to Mark Harbison

I tried the "Pacifist method" and it seems to work well, but when I took a look at the QuickTime Folder it looked that nothing with new date had been added. So I used the Apple official method and there were files with new dates. I put back those items that were mising. After running permission there was a lot to repair, but I got the harmless but annoying "ALC found but...." and it did not go away after another permission repair. To get rid of this I ran a terminal found here http://nomulous.com/blog/getting-rid-of-acl-found-but-not-expected-errors-when-r epairing-permissions/ and now all is well.

Apr 29, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Daily_llama

Okay. The Library>>Quicktime fix did not work at all for me. On my MBA 13" 2013 I attempted to successfully install the PVF 2.0.1 update no less than 16 times. On my MBP 17" 2011 - which I use for the bulk of my NLE editing - 6 times.

So I decided to look more closely at the "backup" scenario hinted at by fox_m earlier - plus run down the instances of a file named "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" which is ubiquitous in both FCP Events and Projects folders and Libraries.

First some background on what I found about this file "CurrentVersion.fcpevent".

Each FCP Project and Events Library, be it the default named "Final Cut Projects and Events" or a Library you create with a custom name like "Old Stuff", will have two versions of this file - each with the same name - but with different content - presumably because one contains metadata pertaining to the project and the other to similar content related to the associated event. Two files, each with the same name - for each event/project in the Library. Hmmm. Smell a problem?

Also, FCP X likes to create Project/Event/Library content on your local HD and in doing so will create versions of this "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" if or when you elect to start a new library/event/project - on your local disc. If you subsequently decide to to move your project/event/library to an external HD - which I have done because I was not careful enough in the first place to tell FCP where I wanted this new "epic" stored, then you - like I - can wind up with duplicate instances of this "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" for the same Event/Project/Library.

Thirdly, your FCP backups folder can also contain versions of this file.

So what did I do about it?

From my local HD (on each machine) I moved the FCP backup folder to a remote disc and deleted all instances of it on my local disc(s). Then I did the same with all FCP Libraries, Projects, and Events packages or folders.

Then I shut down, restarted, and re-installed the Pro Video Formats 2.0.1 update. I launched FCP X (10.2) and made sure I could access my active projects and events. Everything appears to be normal and the update prompts from the App store have ceased.

Pro Video Formats 2.0.1 update issue with software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.