Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Call Forwarding Breaks with iOS 8.3 Update on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus with AT&T

Ever since the iOS 8.3 Update, call forwarding is no longer working on my iPhone 6 Plus. I have spent dozens of hours troubleshooting with both AT&T Advanced Business Technical Support as well as many hours with top technicians from Apple at my local Genius Bars.

This is a critical bug for me as I used to use the call forwarding option multiple times a day, EVERY DAY, because when I am in certain business locations my mobile phone gets no reception and calls go right to voice mail. I need to have them forwarded to the land line I'm located at.

APPLE, PLEASE HELP!!!

I've done extensive testing, and this seems definitely to be related to Apple iOS 8.3, and it seems to be specific to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus ONLY.

To illustrate the EXACT problem:

A: Settings -> Phone -> Call Forwarding

User uploaded file

B. Call Forwarding - Turn on

User uploaded file

C. Enter Number and return to previous screen by touching the blue "Call Forwarding" to return to previous screen.

User uploaded file

D. Call forwarding button is "green" for a split second, then returns to previous OFF state and no forwarding number is displayed. DOES NOT WORK.

User uploaded file

NOT AN AT&T PROBLEM. IF SOMEONE IS EXPERIENCING THIS WITH OTHER CARRIERS PLEASE COMMENT HERE.

Further validation this is isolated to iOS 8.3 on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus ONLY and not the sim card from AT&T...

Here are the latest steps I did with my AT&T sim card and my wife AT&T sim card (she has an iPhone 5s):

1. Removed my sim and put it in the 5s. The phone said that a "carrier update" was required and I selected "NO" to that prompt. Call forwarding functionality worked as expected on the 5s running iOS 8.3

2. I removed the sim from the 5s and re-inserted it. This time I selected "YES" to do the carrier update to eliminate that as a variable, and the call forwarding functionality still worked as expected.

3. I then placed my wifes sim in my 6 Plus. Call forwarding functionality does NOT work on the 6 Plus (was not prompted for carrier update). Also, keep in mind this is my second phone (Apple provided me with a new iPhone 6 Plus when they couldn't resolve the problem at the Genius Bar after hours of troubleshooting).

Note: I did one additional test which as interesting: I put my sim in the 5s and turned call forwarding "on". Then, I put the sim back into my 6 Plus. The calls were still being forwarded to the number I put in while it was in the 5s, but the call forwarding interface in the 6 Plus showed that it was NOT forwarding calls. I could not turn OFF the call forwarding from the 6 Plus and had to put the sim back into the 5s in order to turn off the call forwarding.

If anyone has an update on this, or any other suggestions please advise! This is a critical issue for me as when I travel and when I am in poor areas of reception I need to forward calls. This is a featured I was using multiple times a day, EVERY DAY.

APPLE????????? HELP!!!!!!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3, AT&T CALL FORWARDING DOES NOT WORK

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2015 3:49 PM

Yes, I am dealing with this right now on at&t with a 6 plus. I've been down the same road as you. I got it to work with a windows phone yesterday but not my 6 plus when I switched back to the iPhone. My wifes 6 works fine. I believe it is an at&t issue and not an 8.3 issue. After dealing through several levels of support at at&t, they are telling me it has to do with their transition to hd voice. Some people are having this issue because they are updating their system and some peoples phone profile, on phones that have hd voice capabilities, are not getting added to their line and call forwarding will not work without it. I have a trouble ticket open to their engineering dept and they promise it will work for me on or before the 24th of april. Engineering has to build my phones profile so call forwarding will work with my iPhone.

This is frustrating because like you, I need to forward my calls because I have no signal in my office and need to forward to another phone so I can get my calls. If at&t would quit dragging their feet and enable wifi calling, this wouldn't be an issue for me. I would suggest you put more pressure on at&t and escalate this until it gets resolved. Or put your sim in a phone that does not have hd voice capability and see if it works then.

Good luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this will be fixed for me on or before the 24th. We'll see.

EDIT: I see you did put it in another phone and it worked. That backs up that the issue is at&t and their hd voice upgrades. They had no explanation as to why some work and some don't, but have them make sure a profile for your phone is on the line. If not, they'll need to build one for the phone so that it''l work. At least that's the story for now. Like I said, I'll know more in a day or two.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2015 3:49 PM in response to JonPennington

Yes, I am dealing with this right now on at&t with a 6 plus. I've been down the same road as you. I got it to work with a windows phone yesterday but not my 6 plus when I switched back to the iPhone. My wifes 6 works fine. I believe it is an at&t issue and not an 8.3 issue. After dealing through several levels of support at at&t, they are telling me it has to do with their transition to hd voice. Some people are having this issue because they are updating their system and some peoples phone profile, on phones that have hd voice capabilities, are not getting added to their line and call forwarding will not work without it. I have a trouble ticket open to their engineering dept and they promise it will work for me on or before the 24th of april. Engineering has to build my phones profile so call forwarding will work with my iPhone.

This is frustrating because like you, I need to forward my calls because I have no signal in my office and need to forward to another phone so I can get my calls. If at&t would quit dragging their feet and enable wifi calling, this wouldn't be an issue for me. I would suggest you put more pressure on at&t and escalate this until it gets resolved. Or put your sim in a phone that does not have hd voice capability and see if it works then.

Good luck. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this will be fixed for me on or before the 24th. We'll see.

EDIT: I see you did put it in another phone and it worked. That backs up that the issue is at&t and their hd voice upgrades. They had no explanation as to why some work and some don't, but have them make sure a profile for your phone is on the line. If not, they'll need to build one for the phone so that it''l work. At least that's the story for now. Like I said, I'll know more in a day or two.

May 4, 2015 4:00 PM in response to JonPennington

No. AT&T says I need reeducation on how to use call forwarding. Even after I told them I can put my wife sim in the phone and forward a call without any problem, they refuse to believe it's on their end. Their is no there way around it. AT&T has my profile screwed up and won't take responsibility to fix it with an iPhone. I put my sim in my blackberry and it forwards just fine. Just not with an iPhone. Changed sim, no difference. Until AT&T fixes it in their system, I can't call forward.

They would rather blame me for being stupid or apple for a broken phone, even though it forwards fine with my wife sim in it. Good luck getting them to fix it. Pretty useless. Hope you have better luck than me.

May 8, 2015 9:48 AM in response to jtmo3

Just thought I'd post a followup to this issue. I did get it fixed. Finally talked to someone at at&t who knew what he was doing. Turns out the issue for me had to do with the fact that the phone i had was bought at apple and was unlocked. Since the phone didn't originate from at&t, it didn't recognize the imei number in their system and couldn't create the full profile for the account and the iPhone. Turns out, if your phone is unlocked at&t can't set up call forwarding and profile correctly. Once he set it up using my wife imei number for call forwarding (phone bought at at&t) call forwarding worked fine. Crazy, but that's what turned out to be my issue.

May 14, 2015 8:34 PM in response to JonPennington

I'm also following another post on this same topic, so wanted to share that here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6992817?tstart=0

Call Forwarding IOS 8.3 AT&T iPhone 6

My latest reply in that thread is here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6992817?answerId=28248661022#28248661022&tstart=0#28248661

----------------

in response to BenOfTampa

Hi BenOfTampa,

I got excited when I saw your post and tried it right away! Unfortunately, still no luck!

My phone was purchased from Apple and is unlocked, so I definitely think that has *something* to do with it. I've been escalating this issue with both AT&T and Apple until I'm about to explode and still not resolved. I currently have acase open with Apple Engineering department (supposedly their top their support via the management at Apple Care). They are giving me a lot of attention but we still haven't figured out the problem.

The latest thing they are having me try is to go to AT&T and ask them to give me a SIM that is activated and working in another iPhone 6+, then take that SIM and put it in my phone.

Here are the exact instructions from the Engineer:

"Please have the customer test a known good AT&T SIM (One that can turn on Call Forwarding in an iPhone 6/6+) in this phone and see if the issue persists. Note: this is different then using a new SIM as the device willtemporarily be using a different account to activate.Once the new SIM is inserted have the customer restore the iPhone from recovery mode and set up as new to test. If the issue does not occur using the known good SIM thiswould be a carrier provisioning issue and they would need to resolve this issue.These can typically be found at a carrier corporate store or an Apple Retail Store but even a friend or family members iPhone SIM will do."

I printed out the email and took it to an AT&T Corporate store and after 20 minutes of speaking to the store manager, they REFUSED to do it. He told me that although AT&T is a "partner" of Apple, Apple has no authority to tell themwhat to do. I then asked him if I could buy a brand new iPhone, set it up and then return it. He said sure, but I would be charged a restocking fee. Horrible experience, so I left.

I'm hoping to find someone tomorrow that will let me borrow their phone so I can try this fix.

If anyone else can try this, and it resolves the issue, please post!

I can't believe how such a simple issue of call forwarding could be so much irritation, and how AT&T keep pointing fingers at one another while I've wasted countless hours on it.

I've been a devoted Apple (and AT&T) customer since day one when the very first iPhone came out, but now I'm actually considering bailing on them because of this issue.

Anyone like the Samsung?

-JP

----------------

The issue is still unresolved for me, but some people have found a few things to try worth pointing out.

Please post if anyone finds a fix.

Thanks.

May 15, 2015 4:45 AM in response to sberman

Unfortunately, sberman is correct. I've fought this for over a month and a couple trouble tickets and level three support with at&t. It is NOT an apple issue, per se. It turns out, when an unlocked at&t iPhone 6 imei is put in at&t's system, it shows up as a test device. Everything works except call forwarding. Long story short...there is nothing apple can do about it and anyone you can talk to at at&t will be able to do nothing for you. If you also have an at&t iPhone 6 around, have them put that phones imei number on your account and watch call forwarding turn on. Problem is, it'll only last about a day until the system scans your real phone and changes the account. The problem lies with at&t. I had to have call forwarding so I bought an at&t iPhone and am selling the unlocked phone. After 14 days, at&t will unlock it for you anyway. Just wish I didn't have to do a restore to unlock it though. As soon as I put the at&t iPhone on the account, call forwarding worked and has worked since. Good luck, but you're beating a dead horse fighting this with apple.

Jun 4, 2015 3:36 AM in response to jtmo3

Unfortunately, I have the same issue with a unlocked iPhone 6 bought new from Apple, and have escalated this with both Att and Apple with no solution. jtmo3 and sberman, are you 100 percent sure it is an ATT issue related to unlocked iPhones? It sure seems that way by anecdotal evidence on this forum. I certainly would like to find a solution

Jun 4, 2015 5:03 AM in response to Joe Block

100% positive. Since getting the at&t phone, not a bit of a problem with call forwarding. For some reason, at&t can't figure how to get the imei from an unlocked iphone into their system correctly. You can fight it all you want, but in the end, at this point, unless you use an at&t phone, you're out of luck with call forwarding. Is it stupid on at&t's part? Heck yes. But I have a need for call forwarding, and fighting their system wasn't getting what I needed.

Good luck. I went into an at&t store and told them I wanted to buy an iphone but if call forwarding didn't work when they activated it, I was returning it right then. They agreed. Activated the phone and call forwarding has worked since.

Jun 4, 2015 8:17 AM in response to jtmo3

Update, I just received a call from ATT as a followup, and was told that unlocked iPhones will not have all features available on the ATT network.

The rep told me that because unlocked iPhones are not 'programmed' for ATT, and don't have or will not generate the correct 'frequencies' to initiate all features available on their network. And she told me therefore my call forwarding issue is not correctable with my unlocked iPhone. Looks like I too will need to return the unlocked iPhone and get one 'programmed' for ATT. Seems ridiculous, but this is what I was told.

Jun 4, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Joe Block

OK this is going to seem crazy, but suddenly call forwarding is now working on my unlocked iPhone 6! Both with using codes and by using the toggle.

This after I got off the phone with ATT as I posted above. I really have no direct explanation of why it is suddenly working for me, except that when I enter the number I want to forward to I use the + symbol and a 1, such as: +1(XXX)XXX-XXXX

Jun 4, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Joe Block

Mine worked too when they put a an imei in to test it from another at&t phone. The problem is the next day when the system scans and sees the iphone I had and the imei on it and substituted it, it quit working again. So, the frequency thing they told you is not correct. The phone has all the correct frequencies/bands in it to work as you can see from yours working now. It's just not able to use the features because at&t's system will not recognize the imei correctly to make it function. Hopefully, yours stays working. Let us know. For me, it wasn't worth the hassle since if you look on apples site, you'll see there's very little difference between the unlocked and at&t locked phones. Basically just bands used in other parts of the world. Besides, after 14 days, at&t will unlock the phone for you if you own it.

Jun 8, 2015 7:42 AM in response to jtmo3

My unlocked iPhone model A 1586 is still call forwarding fully functional. This after I was told at one point by ATT it would not work, and there was nothing they could do. This after a previous week of escalating the issue with ATT and Apple. I am not sure what solved the problem but here is a brief synopsis of the steps I went through:

Established case with ATT, went to various levels of phone support. Did all the restarts, restart network settings etc. etc..Could not help.

Went to ATT store to get new SIM card. Made sure IMEI number matched. No luck.

Went to Apple store next. Went through most of the same procedures as I did with ATT phone support. Did a complete erase and restore, did not work. They gave me a new phone, did not solve problem!

Again went to ATT store. Discussed all the issues on this and other forums. Asked for another new SIM card. Made sure call forwarding was active on the account. Still call forwarding would not toggle on my iPhone, nor work with telephone code entry. Baffled the store reps! Put SIM card in their active iPhone and toggle call forwarding worked, then back in my iPhone and call forwarding toggle would not work!

Next day I get a call from ATT for followup. Tell the whole story again. Rep says hold on, she has the best iPhone guru near her. I hold and she comes back that unlocked iPhones may not activate all iPhone features on ATT and is not fixable. See my previous post. She again makes sure that call forwarding is showing active for my number in the ATT system, turns it on and off at her end. Still no luck on my iPhone to either toggle or enter phone codes to get call forwarding to work from iPhone.

Later that day for the heck of it I try again entering the phone numbers I want to forward to in the format 1(xxx)xxx-xxxx. Still does not work. Then try using the +1 format such as +1(xxx)xxx-xxxx and it works! And it has been functioning properly since, both with the call forwarding toggle switch or entering telephone codes.

So what fixed it I am not sure, but if you are having the problem I would get a new SIM card, call ATT and make double sure they have the correct IMEI and call forwarding enabled or provisioned for your number, have them turn it on and off and then on again at their end, and use the +1 code for entering numbers you want to forward to.

Nov 22, 2015 9:37 PM in response to JonPennington

I had this problem as well. The people at att were not very knowledgeable or helpful, but I had them check my imei number which apparently was not automatically updated when I bought the unlocked phone (iPhone 6). When the att representative put the correct imei number into their system, the call forwarding function instantly started working correctly.

Dec 9, 2015 1:30 PM in response to JonPennington

The problem identified by others is with the carrier, not the phone. In my case we switch between Bell in Canada and Verizon in the US. Here is how I solved the problem. My wife has the unlocked 6s and I have a 6. I put both phones in airplane mode and then I switched the SIM cards. Now my phone had her number and the call forward was on. I was able to turn it off using the normal procedure. I Then put both phones back in airplane mode, switched the SIM cards back and all was fine.

Call Forwarding Breaks with iOS 8.3 Update on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus with AT&T

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.