Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't insert Special Characters/Emoji/Symbols to any document

Since I updated to OSX Yosemite I can no longer insert Special Characters (now called "Emoji and Symbols") to any document: Word, Text Edit, Pages, Keynote etc. Double clicking the symbol doesn't do anything, drag and drop doesn't work and neither does copy and paste. Are there some settings I need to change?

Thanks

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2015 7:08 PM

I found the secret answer! From any text field, press the Command, Control, & Space keys at the same time and the Emoji selector will magically appear :-) Thanks so much to these people for this info…

http://blog.getemoji.com/emoji-keyboard-mac

http://www.imore.com/how-insert-emoji-text-os-x-yosemite

64 replies

Feb 2, 2017 11:52 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

This problem started (as far as I know) since the upgrade to Sierra and I have not seen it before. I do not have Webroot, and I don't know which other application could have Secure Keyboard Entry turned on. I toggled this setting in the Terminal (which I rarely use). I have added a French keyboard and rebooted, but none of this helps. I would not really know where to start looking from here on. I have used special character entries for a few years without any problem. The only thing I have recently installed (besides the Sierra upgrade) is VirtualBox and Windows 10 but they are currently not running. I guess I have to try removing those to see if it makes any difference?

Feb 2, 2017 12:25 PM in response to tapt

Responding to myself: it turns out that using option + key is working fine, e.g. I just used "option + r" (®) and "option + 3"(£) and these characters are entered normally for my US keyboard. But combinations with "option + ctrl" are not working. On the French keyboard, option+ctrl combinations work for the numbers, but not for special characters.

If you ask me: this is some kind of bug.

Feb 2, 2017 12:32 PM in response to tapt

tapt wrote:

This problem started (as far as I know) since the upgrade to Sierra

Could you tell us more about the problem? if you have TextEdit running and you do Edit > Emoji & Symbols, does the Character Viewer come up? If so, and it is the small version, expand it to the full version by clicking on the icon at the top right of the panel. Then select the emoji category at the left. Using the center display of emojis, can you input via double click? Can you input via drag drop?

Feb 2, 2017 12:53 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for your reply, Tom! Yes, I can do all of that.

But if I use keyboard shortcuts as per the keyboard viewer, and use any combination of option+CTRL, nothing happens.

I rarely use the window show/hide emoji & symbols and double click or dragging. The symbol I use most often is the euro sign €, and maybe I tried the wrong keystrokes (I switch back and forth between mac and windows), but anything combined with control does not work. That's my biggest find for today. I can now enter € with option+2 on the Dutch kb or option+shift+2 on the US kb. I'd swear they didn't work earlier today, but maybe I am confused now.

Remains that I would like to find out if any combination with option+ctrl+key works for other people.

Thx!

Feb 2, 2017 3:14 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

tapt wrote:

Remains that I would like to find out if any combination with option+ctrl+key works

Perhaps you have it mixed up with Windows or another platform. Apple normally only uses option and option+shift for special characters. Control is only used with keyboard shortcuts for menu items.

Hm, you must be right. Now that I have a look at the keyboard viewer again, I see that even though it LOOKS like option+control has additional symbols, it actually doesn't. Problem solved; it must have been a confusion with windows. Thx!

Jun 3, 2015 6:41 PM in response to Anna Slater Bee

It works for me in Yosemite in everything, and does so with a single click—thankfully; try single clicking. Under some circumstances (not sure which) it will insert and then the utility will vanish. Here's some examples using this Safari: ▼⎂♸✔️⬅️

If you want it to stick around, click on the tiny box at its furthest upper right (it has a classic Command-symbol ⌘ in that box) and you'll get the whole thing essentially the same as the old style special characters entry.‱ <— These were done with this expanded entry-box, and even required the classic double-click.

User uploaded file

If none of that works, then re-start your machine or... (insert favourite facile but useless advice here —>) __________ .

Can't insert Special Characters/Emoji/Symbols to any document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.