Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot rebuild spotlight index

"Rebuild the Spotlight index" has been an answer given here to the never-ending problem of App store update notifications for stuff I have already downloaded. Unfortunately the procedure of adding then removing a folder or drive to the privacy section of Spotlight preferences doesn't trigger an index rebuild.

Any ideas please?

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:07 PM

It should do

open spotlight preferences go to privacy, add the icon of the disc drive you are booted to.quit system preferences

open spotlight preferences go to privacy, remove the disks icon.

quit system preferences

go to spotlight type in the name of a folder or file you know exists on the drive press return

the window should expand and in a few moments under the entry you put in

Indexing should be confirmed with a progress bar.

User uploaded file

if you are seeing that you have updates for software that you may have downloaded, it is an indication that the software has not indeed downloaded and installed. The App Store is very bad for this. Even though it has been notified in you 30 day update list.

to check go to About This Mac

click System Report, go to the Software section and click on Installations, this will give you a list of the software that was downloaded/updated successfully.

Some Apple downloads are able to be downloaded directly from the Apple Support Downloads pages

they will be quicker and the connection more stable.

Good Luck

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2015 2:07 PM in response to chrisjk

It should do

open spotlight preferences go to privacy, add the icon of the disc drive you are booted to.quit system preferences

open spotlight preferences go to privacy, remove the disks icon.

quit system preferences

go to spotlight type in the name of a folder or file you know exists on the drive press return

the window should expand and in a few moments under the entry you put in

Indexing should be confirmed with a progress bar.

User uploaded file

if you are seeing that you have updates for software that you may have downloaded, it is an indication that the software has not indeed downloaded and installed. The App Store is very bad for this. Even though it has been notified in you 30 day update list.

to check go to About This Mac

click System Report, go to the Software section and click on Installations, this will give you a list of the software that was downloaded/updated successfully.

Some Apple downloads are able to be downloaded directly from the Apple Support Downloads pages

they will be quicker and the connection more stable.

Good Luck

Apr 24, 2015 2:07 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks, I have now rebuilt my Spotlight index (I think the key was to add/subtract the boot drive to Privacy) but that hasn't solved my App store issue. I still get told there are downloads waiting for stuff I have downloaded more than once, like the Pro Video Formats stuff - already downloaded three times.

User uploaded file

Worse still there is a list of over 30 apps that I once downloaded from the store which I deleted ages ago. If I update these, then I get back apps that I don't want on my machine.

Thanks for the pointer to direct downloads.

I really do feel that the app store app is a contemptible piece of junk. It treats users in a very offhand manner - I can't even sort the list of apps purchased and as for finding stuff in the store..

Apr 26, 2015 3:33 AM in response to chrisjk

I take it the Apps you deleted are third party apps purchased through the App Store.

If you deleted them from your mac, does not mean it deletes them from your App Store listing.

As you purchased them they will remain yours, and will be available for re-download or update

so will always be in you purchase history. you can try to Hide the notification of their availability by

pressing control-click on the item and see if it gives you the 'hide item' option.

this should make things a bit neater.

cannot rebuild spotlight index

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.