Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sunrise / sunset application does not show time

Hi there!

just set up my Apple Watch and noticed that sunrise / sunset application on all watchfaces always stays empty displaying "--:--"

All other applications seem to work ok.

Anyone else having this problem?

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 3:11 AM

The solution is luckily very simple. On your iPhone, go to to Settings: Restrictions: Location Services. Allow for changes. Allow Apple Watch to use location when in use. Then you may click "Do not allow changes" again.

60 replies

Apr 25, 2015 5:56 AM in response to batristain

It's working for me this morning as well. I took the watch with me on a walk, but did have my iPhone with me as well. So maybe something with being off of wifi, although I had that theory yesterday while on the support call with Apple and turning off wifi on my iPhone did not fix it. Maybe it's a length of time thing, and something to do with not getting the signal from the phone while on wifi?

Apr 28, 2015 11:42 AM in response to Str1atum

Hi folks! I have the same problem too. The time is missing in the complications for sunrise/sunset, but also in both the solar and astronomy watch faces.

So far none of the below mentioned measures helped:

On the watch:

* Turning the watch on/off

* Switching watch faces

On the iPhone:

* Killing/restarting apps like Settings and Apple Watch on the iPhone

* Turning Wifi on/off on the iPhone

* Turning Location for Watch Faces on/off

Currently I am waiting for Apple Care to come back with a solution.

BTW I also noticed that it takes quite some time to update the weather glance or app in the "current location" setting for this reason. However this update seems to work, albeit with a significant time lag.

Apr 28, 2015 11:21 PM in response to Marc

UPDATE:

I made a hard reset on the iPhone, which in turn solved the issue in the first place. However the next day the times were gone again. Switching watch faces didn't help at first, but eventually after a couple minutes the location was updated for the watch face app.

Will have to continue to monitor this behavior.

Apr 29, 2015 4:29 PM in response to Str1atum

what worked for me was turning my bluetooth off on my iPhone and letting the watch and phone work together over wifi. in order to get this to work if you have authentication on your wifi, another user pointed out that you may need to forget the wifi network on your phone and reconnect to allow your watch to recognize the wifi network. So....

Forgot network and reconnect

Turn bluetooth off on phone

Sunrise and sunset now showing

Turn bluetooth back on

Not sure what weird bug is causing this since it seems a variety of solutions have worked for people. Unfortunately nothing above worked for me so I wanted to chip in and include what worked for myself in case others are having the same issue. Thanks to all.

May 1, 2015 9:30 PM in response to bahamas1

Okay. None of these worked for me but I'm going to tell everyone what did work for me. I spent hours with Apple chat and support and my last option was to send my watch in to be replaced. After factory reset of my phone and watch and many re pairs it still didn't work. The only thing that worked is going to settings: General: reset: reset location and privacy. After I did that nothing worked still yet. What this does is it makes the 'Apple watch faces' feature disappear in locations. Once you've done that you need to reset and repair the watch and it will ask you if you want to use location for watch face. Choose yes. Once all of this is done you need to turn Bluetooth off on the phone and put the watch in airplane mode. Turn the phone off and the watch off and then back on and make sure that bluetooth stays off. As long on the phone boots up first with the Bluetooth off and the watch in airplane mode and not connected you're good to go. Make sure you're in a good area for Gps signal and take the watch off airplane mode then turn the bluetooth on using the toggle on the iPhone. This is the one and only thing that has worked for me. I hope this helps for people with future problems.

Sunrise / sunset application does not show time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.