Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple watch does not connect to wifi when out of Bluetooth range

My Apple watch works ok when in Bluetooth range of the iPhone but it does not connect via wifi when out of range.

Watch Sport 42mm, null

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 4:01 PM

I have the same question: Same Wi-Fi Network?

36 replies

Apr 24, 2015 4:08 PM in response to mfeather77

“Apple Watch uses Bluetooth® wireless technology to connect to its paired iPhone and uses the iPhone for many wireless functions. Apple Watch can’t configure new Wi-Fi networks on its own, but it can connect to Wi-Fi networks you’ve set up on the paired iPhone.

If your Apple Watch and iPhone are on the same network but aren’t connected by Bluetooth, you can also do the following on Apple Watch without iPhone:

Send and receive messages using iMessage

Send and receive Digital Touch messages

Use Siri

Excerpt From: Apple Inc. “Apple Watch User Guide.” Apple Inc., 2015. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright

Apr 25, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Trevor Nash

Hi!

I had the same problem!

My watch was not connecting to my iphone over wifi. It turns out the watch could not connect to the wifi at all. I have sky broadband here in the uk. But i have turned off the wifi transmitter on the sky hub as I have an apple airport express cabled into the sky router and all my devices connect to the airport express.

A bit of googling implied that the people with similar setups to mine have issues with the wifi of their apple watch.

I decided to turn back on the wifi on my sky router (which is the dhcp server) entered the password and connected to the sky router on my iphone. Opened the apple watch app and waited for a few minutes and hey presto my watch connected to the wifi!

I can see the mac address of the watch on the dhcp table in my sky router, and switching bluetooth off on my iphone now still allows me to ping the phone from the watch!

Downside: I now have two wifi routers switched on and close to each other.

May 3, 2015 1:03 AM in response to Trevor Nash

To use wi-fi to pair to your iPhone, you need to do the following:

turn off bluetooth on your iPhone

be on the same wi-if network

The Apple Watch will automatically pair to your iPhone. The apps on your Apple Watch will work with Wi-Fi pairing to your iPhone. I did the above and was able to use my Apple Watch apps including 3rd party apps like CNN, Amazon, etc.

May 7, 2015 12:09 AM in response to macfields

Un-pair and re-pair did not work for me.

For the wifi network that your watch can't connect to, go to the iPhone Wifi network page and "forget" that network. Then reconnect to it while the watch is connected to the iPhone via bluetooth. Once the iPhone re-establishes wifi, this password would be passed to the watch.

If you don't re-enter the password for the wifi network, the new Apple Watch won't connect to it.

May 7, 2015 8:11 AM in response to macfields

macfields wrote:

I could not get my WiFi on the watch to work at all. I contacted apple support and they had me unpair and re-pair my apple watch. I selected "restore from back-up" and now Wi-Fi is working.

Hope this works for others.

Thanks heaps! This worked like a charm (I set up as a new Apple Watch though – just to be sure).

May 14, 2015 1:05 PM in response to MikeLandau

Mine is working fine now, too. I checked my router and there is the Watch, connected. It only connects to wifi if Bluetooth on the phone is turned off, but it can be useful if, like me,you don't carry you phone round the house with you and the bluetooth range doesn't cover the whole house. Unfortunately, it does not seem to pick up the wifi automatically when you are out of bluetooth range.

I don't know what I did to get it working, I did not disconnect from the network. I just switched off the wifi and bluetooth on the phone, and restarted the phone and Watch, then turned wifi back on again. Worked for me!

May 14, 2015 1:10 PM in response to dacheng81

Thanks a lot, this helped here too. But had to make sure to re-enter password when reconnecting to my WiFi net. So I had to connect to "other" network when in wifi settings and fill in the network name, encryption type and password, otherwise iPhone would have used password from keychain and that would´t have solved the issue. (Wonder if there´s an easier way? Anyway it worked.)

May 22, 2015 9:10 PM in response to Trevor Nash

What I found when my Watch is still connected to the phone via Bluetooth, if I just step out of range but still within the same WiFi network, it doesn't switch over to WiFi automatically. It will just show that the phone cannot be found.

But if, while connected via Bluetooth, I switch off the Bluetooth on my phone, my watch connects to WiFi and it works.

Strange? Anyone having the same issue?

May 22, 2015 10:22 PM in response to Trevor Nash

Both my husband's and my watch were not connecting to wifi and we followed the advice in this thread

Re: Apple Watch is not using WiFi ?

which involved a process of forgetting the home network on the phone, turning off the watch, temporarily reconfiguring our home network to 2.4Ghz, reconnecting the phone to the network, and powering the watch back on and waiting for it to connect completely with the phone. Then testing, and when all was working, configuring the router back to 5Ghz.

This solved our problems, both our watches now are using wifi when bluetooth is off on the phones.

My Apple watch does not connect to wifi when out of Bluetooth range

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.