Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Available app updates will not load on my I pad air

AVailable app updates will not load on my iPad air. When I touch the update icon it just spins around in a circle. April 24, 2015

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 3:56 PM

14 replies

Apr 24, 2015 6:15 PM in response to AnnArborGary

I am assuming you have checked that your internet connection is working (browse some webpages using Safari or another browser)

If so, then close the App Store app (swipe up the window). Relaunch & try again.

if it's still not working, try signing out of iTunes & App Store

Settings->iTunes & App Store->tap on your Apple ID & select sign out from the drop-down menu.

Now sign back in, relaunch the App Store & try downloading again.

Apr 24, 2015 6:16 PM in response to AnnArborGary

Close the App Store and reset the iPad.

Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps. Swipe left to find the app you want to close. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it.

To reset the device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Apr 26, 2015 4:03 PM in response to AnnArborGary

Yes, updating the iOS might help. You might want to update the iOS through iTunes & not Over the Air. I have never had a problem installing updates over the air but updating through iTunes installs the iOS fresh on the device while an OTA update is a smaller upgrade installed on top of the existing iOS from what I understand.

Just a note, when transferring purchases from iTunes to the iPad, the apps will update but sometimes the badge app icon will remain until the next round of App updates & then it should adjust itself. That has been a bug some folks have experienced for a while, including myself.

Apr 26, 2015 7:55 PM in response to jazcan

WWell prior to your response I jumped into an OTA update of the 8.3 IOS..... Still the available app updates will not load. I get a thin blue circle that goes round and round. Sometimes I get a thick circle that has a square in the center that just sits there and when I touch that, an icon that says update appears. Crazy!!! I am going to shut down now and give it another try Monday.

thanks for the suggestions so far.

gary

Apr 27, 2015 3:43 AM in response to AnnArborGary

If the two suggestions in the discussion that jazcan posted for you don't work either, try resetting your router. It can't hurt. Unplug it from power for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in again. While you are waiting for the router to come back online again, turn WiFi off on your iPad, restart your iPad then turn WiFi on again and then try to update the apps.

In keeping with that same line of thinking, you can also try Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. That will force you to join your home WiFi network again.

Apr 27, 2015 10:27 AM in response to jazcan

Last night, sunday, I updated to IOS 8.3, this afternoon, Tuesday, I tried doing the available app updates. "SUCCESS". Once I touched the icon "update" it turned to a thin blue circle then a thick blue circle with a square in it's center then the circle did

tthe spin once and after about 2 minutes Waite time the dark circle with the square turned to the icon "open". Happy days are here again!!

I did 4 app updates all were successful. I guess IOS 8.3 was the needed solution. Who knows!!!!

thanks Jazcan and Demo for your on going suggestions.

gary

Available app updates will not load on my I pad air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.