Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add an SSD to my iMac without removing my existing hard drive?

Hi, I have a mid-2011 iMac, and it's time for the SSD upgrade. My question is, can I still keep my existing disc based hard drive and a new SSD? Also, does my optical drive need to be removed, or can it stay inside the computer? Also, what is the best guide for how to install the SSD?

Thank you for your help.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 6:44 PM

18 replies

Apr 24, 2015 7:59 PM in response to theappleone

Yes, if you are willing to replace the DVD with an SSD (the DVD can go into an external USB case).

I did this with my Late 2009 27" iMac this past summer. I also bumped the RAM up to 16GB.

I used an OWC (MacSales.com) Data Doubler kit and a 480GB SSD from OWC. OWC also provided the tools for opening the iMac. iFixIt.com provided instructions on how to access the iMac and remove the DVD.

<http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDIMCL0GB/>

You can use Applications -> Utilities -> System Information -> SATA -> Link Speed, to find out what speed SATA bus your iMac has (3Gbits/sec or 6Gbits/sec). I suspect it will be 6Gbits/sec as my 2011 Macbook Pro has 6Gbits/sec. You want to know the speed so that you do not over pay for an SSD with a faster interface if you cannot use the extra speed.

There are other vendors that provide DVD to SSD conversion kits for iMacs.

Apr 24, 2015 8:12 PM in response to BobHarris

Bob, I bought an iFixit kit including suction cups, screwdrivers, etc. Do I need the data doubler in order to install the drive? Can't I just connect the cables that went to the Optical Drive to the SSD, and use the double sided 3M tape that came in the iFixIt kit to adhere the SSD? What is the advantage of using the SSD DataDoubler?

Thank you for your help again

Apr 25, 2015 7:11 AM in response to theappleone

Bob, I bought an iFixit kit including suction cups, screwdrivers, etc.

That works. As long as you have the tools, along with iFixIt guides, opening the iMac is not too difficult. HOWEVER, I do suggest you have someone with you while you are removing the screen, as someone holding the screen while someone else is removing the cables attached to the screen is very helpful.

Do I need the data doubler in order to install the drive? Can't I just connect the cables that went to the Optical Drive to the SSD, and use the double sided 3M tape that came in the iFixIt kit to adhere the SSD? What is the advantage of using the SSD DataDoubler?

The DataDoubler is a bracket that holds the SSD in the DVD slot. Like I said there are other sources for the mounting bracket, or if you just want to double sided tape it to the iMac, that should work.

<https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2389+SSD+Dual+Drive+Instal lation+Replacement/9068>

<http://guides.crucial.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2390+SSD+Dual+Drive+Insta llation/632> this is a double sided tape example

<http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/>

I'm sure Google will find other examples for you.

If you are not going to use a bracket, you should put something over the DVD slot so that it does not modify the normal airflow through the iMac and so that someone doesn't forget and jam a DVD into the slot (kids for example).

Apr 25, 2015 8:05 PM in response to theappleone

No matter what you do, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP. Make sure you have a backup. Preferably 2 that are outside your Mac. That way if anything goes wrong, you will have all your data.

If you upgraded to Mavericks from a prior version of Mac OS X, then you can use the App Store -> Purchases to download a copy of Mavericks, assuming you did not save a copy from the first time you upgraded from Mavericks.

If you never upgraded to Mavericks, and your Mac came with Mavericks, then you an try a Net Boot (Boot holding the Option Key), and hopefully you will be able to get the shipped operating system over the network from Apple and point it at your SSD.

If none of the above are applicable, and you are running Mavericks, then you can use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the current boot disk to the SSD. If your SSD is smaller than your boot disk, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner's ability to select which files to be copied. You can then NOT select the Pictures, Movies, Music, Documents, Downloads, -OR- any other folders where you have the bulk of your storage. Once the bootable system is on the SSD, you can use Unix symbolic links to point the SSD to the folders you left back on the original disk. Some apps such as iTunes, iPhoto will allow you to tell the app that the files are in at a different location.

In my case I got an SSD that was larger than what I was using for the boot disk, so all I needed to do what just fully clone the original to the SSD. For my iMac I went from a 300GB boot partition to a 480GB SSD in the DVD location. For my Macbook Pro I went from a 750GB disk to a 1TB SSD (I just replaced the boot disk and kept the DVD).

Carbon Copy Cloner has a 1 month demo with all features enabled. Then again, it is a very good utility so you might consider purchasing it and having to automatically update a clone of your boot disk to an external drive (or a partition on your original disk). That way you can always boot from a recent copy of your system should something go wrong with the SSD (my iMac's SSD died after about 5 months, and OWC replaced it no-questions-asked; I was able to quickly boot from a Carbon Copy Cloner clone until OWC send the replacement SSD).

Keeping your home folder on another disk is similar to Google "move home folder to another drive mac" and there are many articles on the web.

As far as creating Unix symbolic links, there are GUIs that will do this if you google search for "Mac symlink". Or you can use an Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal session

ln -s /Volumes/originalBootDiskName/Users/yourOriginalShortUserName/Movies /Volumes/SSDBootDiskName/Users/yourUsername/Movies

ln -s /Volumes/originalBootDiskName/Users/yourOriginalShortUserName/Pictures /Volumes/SSDBootDiskName/Users/yourUsername/Pictures

ln -s /Volumes/originalBootDiskName/Users/yourOriginalShortUserName/Documents /Volumes/SSDBootDiskName/Users/yourUsername/Documents

ln -s /Volumes/originalBootDiskName/Users/yourOriginalShortUserName/Music /Volumes/SSDBootDiskName/Users/yourUsername/Music

Apr 25, 2015 8:17 PM in response to BobHarris

Bob, I was planning on not even using Carbon Copy Cloner. I was just going to copy my iTunes Library, iPhoto Library, Documents, etc to an external hard drive. Once I install Mavericks on my SSD, could I not just wipe the old hard drive in my iMac and place the home folder there? Do I then use the terminal commands to do that, and then I can place my old files in their respective folders?

Apr 25, 2015 8:29 PM in response to theappleone

You can use any method you like. But I would still have full backups (multiple) before starting any of this, especially erasing the original disk. Whatever works.

And if what you decided to do does not work as expected, having a full backup, means you can try something else because you have everything on a backup (or hopefully several backups).

May 1, 2015 7:02 AM in response to BobHarris

Bob, I have another question regarding iPhoto and Photos. I have noticed that there are two photo libraries in Mavericks. The Photos Library and the iPhoto Library. Do I back up both and then import them into the new Mavericks installation? Is there any way to combine them?

I bought the Data Doubler, but I just wanted to clarify, regardless of the method I use (tape or data doubler), I cannot leave the optical drive in the computer correct?

Also, should I disconnect my iCloud account from my iMac before installing the SSD? I am worried about the bookmarks being wiped, notes, and everything else.

Thank you for all your help.

May 1, 2015 2:17 PM in response to BobHarris

Bob, I have another question regarding iPhoto and Photos. I have noticed that there are two photo libraries in Mavericks. The Photos Library and the iPhoto Library. Do I back up both and then import them into the new Mavericks installation? Is there any way to combine them?

I bought the Data Doubler, but I just wanted to clarify, regardless of the method I use (tape or data doubler), I cannot leave the optical drive in the computer correct?

Also, should I disconnect my iCloud account from my iMac before installing the SSD? I am worried about the bookmarks being wiped, notes, and everything else.

Thank you for all your help.

May 1, 2015 4:34 PM in response to theappleone

Mavericks? I would have expected "Pictures" with all your iPhoto stuff inside of "Pictures"

I do not know where you are getting iPhoto and Photos? The only guess about Photos is if you are really running Yosemite 10.10.3 which has the new Photos app.

I'm sorry but you are going to have to figure this out some other way, or just transfer both.

If you are going to use the DVD SATA controller, then you CANNOT have the DVD drive AND the SSD. You get 2 SATA power and data connections. One for the primary disk and one for the DVD. If you are going to put a SSD in the DVD slot, then you are going to be using the DVD's SATA power and data connection.

You can put the DVD into an external USB DVD case and connect it to your Mac via a USB cable when you need a DVD drive. I use a DVD so rarely that my DVD in an external USB case is gathering dust.

I do not have an opinion about iCloud.

BUT you should have backups (multiple) before doing anything. "Stuff" happens, and a backup is good protection.

May 31, 2015 6:59 PM in response to BobHarris

Hi Bob, how did you decide on replacing the optical drive as opposed to replacing the original internal HDD and leaving the optical in place.

I have a late-2011 27" iMac that I am going to upgrade form a 2TB HDD to SSD. Ideally, I would like to have one SSD drive to handle it all, but my photo collection too large to allow that even on a 1TB SSD. So I am going to need to do a hybrid of an SSD and the spinning disk. Now what I am confused on is whether to make the existing HD as an external one or the optical drive. What are your thoughts.

Also, if I do end up using an SSD for my system files and the spinning HD for my photos, etc. what size SSD would you recommend. Is 1TB overkill and should I be ok with 500GB?

thanks!

May 31, 2015 7:52 PM in response to Community User

Hi Bob, how did you decide on replacing the optical drive as opposed to replacing the original internal HDD and leaving the optical in place.

I did not use the DVD. I used it one or twice when I got the 2009 iMac, as that was Snow Leopard days, which came on a DVD, and I may have burned 1 or 2 CD's. But for most of the 5 years I've had the iMac, I have not used the DVD, so it was an easy decision to put the SSD in the DVD slot.

Another factor in my decision was the cost of a replacement 1TB SSD for my hard disk was not cheap. The smaller 480GB SSD I installed was less expensive, and it was more than sufficient for my needs. You needs may be different.

And I did put the DVD in an external enclosure, just in case I did need a DVD (1 year and still haven't plugged in the DVD 😁 ).

The OWC DataDoubler Kit was easy to use.

I have a late-2011 27" iMac that I am going to upgrade form a 2TB HDD to SSD. Ideally, I would like to have one SSD drive to handle it all, but my photo collection too large to allow that even on a 1TB SSD. So I am going to need to do a hybrid of an SSD and the spinning disk. Now what I am confused on is whether to make the existing HD as an external one or the optical drive. What are your thoughts.

If you have USB3 or Thunderbolt, an external disk might be OK. However, a Thunderbolt disk is rather expensive compared to USB disks. However, if all you have is USB2 or Firewire, accessing the external disk is going to be much slower compared to an internal disk.

Also, if I do end up using an SSD for my system files and the spinning HD for my photos, etc. what size SSD would you recommend. Is 1TB overkill and should I be ok with 500GB?

I decided based on cost. Otherwise, choose what makes your life comfortable. A 500'ish GB drive is more than enough for the operating system all applications, and a moderate music library, your documents, etc... You could put your pictures, movies, and if a huge music library on the hard disk which can be just about as big as you like.

Then again, if cost is not the factor, you could replace the DVD with a 1TB SSD, and put another 1TB SSD into the original disk slot.

No matter what you decide, make sure you have 3-2-1 backup.

3 copies of your data on different devices (the original is one copy)

2 different backup formats (protects you from a bug in one backup utility)

1 copy off-site (protects against natural disasters and theft)

Can I add an SSD to my iMac without removing my existing hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.