Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else used Apple Watch in the shower? :-)

I just used my stainless steel with sports band in the shower, anyone else tried this or similar?

As I have the same model Tim Cook wears and he has publicly stated he does the same, I thought I'd give it a try. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I won't be doing it all the time, as I understand the steam and water of persistent showering over time will damage the watch, right?

However, I like the idea of not missing an important call or notification when showering! I have a ring doorbell, which notifies me if anyone calls at the door, so its great for not missing deliveries etc.

I don't think I will be as crazy as some of the reviewers out there who have successfully swam with the watch for 15 minutes at 1.5metres.

Thought it would be good to start a thread on those who have used the watch testing the water resistance.

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 6:12 AM

you have guts! i'm too scaredy cat to try that lol....i did get it wet while cooking dinner though. didn't die.

27 replies

Apr 25, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Ben_23

Yes, I've worn it in the shower. I will continue to do so, as any IPX-7 device should be more than up to the task. If it fails in the shower, it isn't IPX-7 or it was defective to begin with.

Steam could potentially be an issue. A former colleague of mine brought his cell phone (not an Apple device, and not IPX-7) into the bathroom everyday while he showered. One morning while he was in the shower the screen on his phone audibly cracked. He feels it was the exposure to steam that did it.

I won't wear it for swimming. While I feel it should be feasible, I don't yet trust the band 100% (though the sport band design is very clever compared to the other wearable tech I've used, had fall off due to poor band design, and lose) and I'd be worried that it would wind up at the bottom of the pool or dive tank where it would die a watery death before it could be retrieved. I have a swimming fitness watch with excellent metrics anyway.

I don't think I'll wear it in hot-tubs or saunas for fear of damage.

Apr 25, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Ben_23

You might want to consider Apple's own handling information:

Important handling information

Exposure to liquid Apple Watch is water resistant but not waterproof. You may, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise (exposure to sweat is OK), in the rain, and while washing your hands. If water splashes on to the watch, wipe it off with a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth. Try to minimize exposing Apple Watch to these substances and follow the instructions below in the “Cleaning and care” section if Apple Watch comes into contact with them:

Soap, detergent, acids or acidic foods, and any liquids other than fresh water, such as salt water, soapy water, pool water, perfume, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, adhesive remover, hair dye, or solvents.

Submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant. Water resistance is not a permanent condition and Apple Watch cannot be rechecked or resealed for water resistance. The following may affect the water resistance of Apple Watch and should be avoided:

• Dropping Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.
  • Submerging Apple Watch in water for long periods of time.
  • Swimming or bathing with Apple Watch.
  • Exposing Apple Watch to pressurized water or high velocity water, for example, showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, jet skiing, and so on.
  • Wearing Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room.

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd707b42a5e

It's going to be a lot easier for Tim Cook to get his watch replaced if it's damaged than it will be for you.

Apr 25, 2015 1:32 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Of course Apple are going to be cautious by advising people how to use the watch in writing on their website. Otherwise you will have people using it going surfing and using it in a pool!

The IPX-7 rating is determined independently and determines that a device with this rating can survive water up to 1 metre for up to 30minutes. That means they wouldn't class the watch this high unless it could do more than this (I'm not suggesting anyone should try more!).

Plus, Tim Cook and Apple are pretty tight lipped about Apple secrets, so he's not going to say publicly that he wears it in the shower if he doesn't want people doing the same! That would not be smart product communication by a CEO!

Apr 25, 2015 1:36 PM in response to Ben_23

"Plus, Tim Cook and Apple are pretty tight lipped about Apple secrets, so he's not going to say publicly that he wears it in the shower if he doesn't want people doing the same! That would not be smart product communication by a CEO!"

I'll bet that the people in the legal department spilled their coffee when they heard what he said.

George

Apr 26, 2015 7:37 AM in response to Ben_23

Ben_23 wrote:

Yes from a legal point of view and insurance / replacement purposes the view is to be stingy with what you say is covered. Its a shame really. Apple should be proud that they produced a decent water resistant watch. Better results can clearly be seen from the video testings I have seen online.

I suspect Apple is very proud of the Apple Watch. They are also very clear about the limitations to its water resistance, especially over time. You are free to do whatever you want with yours. Apple is also free to interpret the warranty based on their published information.

May 21, 2015 6:33 PM in response to PyxelShooter

Actually, while your other IPX7 watches may have been ok to wear in the shower, they wouldn't have had microphone and speaker ports.

IPX7 means the watch is capable of surviving immersion in water of depth of 1 metre for 30 minutes. 1 metre of water has a pressure of 1.4psi.

Energy efficient shower heads in the US (per the US EPA) have source of between 45 and 80PSI. Fairly safe to say many of these will have jets of pressure considerably higher than 1.4psi.

Me, I wouldn't be too comfortable having pressurized sprays around my watch.

Washing your hands. Splashing. Walking / jogging / running in the rain. These are the uses for IPX7. Swimming, showering and bathing are not.

May 21, 2015 6:40 PM in response to G3gator

Find an article that directly quotes Tim Cook as having stated this in public. You won't.

This hit all of the online publications on February 25th. It (supposedly) was a group of Apple employees having a discussion with Tim in Germany. It's rumoured he said it there. To a group of INTERNAL employees. People under NDA (that are likely a little nervous that one of them went running to a blogger friend and leaked the story).

That means it's still heresay. No reputable source. Apple legal can keep their coffee in their mugs. Done.

May 21, 2015 11:49 PM in response to Open_mobile

Done? Who are you, Gordon Ramsey?

Its not done and I'm not done. I'm still using my Apple Watch in the shower occasionally at the gym. I also wash it under a tap, as advised by Apple. (Get help with the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch - Apple Support).

I'm not holding the watch under the jets when showing! The jets make contact with your body and the run off water is what soaks the watch.

Now I don't need anyone to tell me that I can or cannot do this, I'm going to do it every week and should my Apple Watch fail for any reason, I will promise to post on here that its failed. On this thread.

If you are this jumped up about using the watch in the shower, here, this might freak you guys out: Its a 10 metre high dive wearing Apple watch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_ZMhKAhs8) and in his other video he does lap swimming at 1,000m. Guess what? It still works!

Enjoy!

May 22, 2015 5:58 AM in response to Ben_23

Yes, but you started with saying Tim Cook said this in public. If he did say it, he didn't say it in public (and the group he said it to were under contract to not repeat it).

The problem is, people come to these forums seeking support and knowledge. You post something like this, you make people think it's ok. You're comfortable that several people may have put what you posted here as advice that they should do the same and damage their watches? (and there's a very good chance that Apple won't be covering that damage, as it's exceeding the rating).

Post all the sensationalistic videos you like. Already seen them. They aren't scientific testing proving higher ratings. (want a great video - go see the consumer reports one - the first sport watch failed, but as the next two passed, they considered it a "fluke" - that's just the standard IPX7 test).

The smart money is avoiding the things that Apple tells you to in the users guide. Don't bathe with it, don't swim with it.

Pg. 84, following Exposure to liquid

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1708/en_US/apple_watch_user_guide. pdf

I'm not saying you shouldn't do whatever you like with your watch. I'm saying you shouldn't encourage others to do the same. And don't expect Apple to clean up the mess.

Anyone else used Apple Watch in the shower? :-)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.