Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after 8.3 update, battery drains quickly

after updating to iOS 8.3 the ipad battery is now draining quickly.

What can I do?

iPad, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:25 PM

14 replies

Apr 25, 2015 5:23 PM in response to rdmchavez

Using the battery level meter in this manner is comparable to using your car's fuel gauge to calculate miles per gallon. The only thing that matters is the total amount of operating time from full charge to auto-shutdown.

Use the wall-mount charger that came with the iPad and charge overnight. Do NOT use an iPod/iPhone charger. Do NOT use a computer's USB port. Then, operate it normally until auto shut-down (ignore any low level alerts that may appear). An irony is that doing that test to determine the total operating time is also the procedure necessary to calibrate the battery level meter.

I'm not claiming that you do not have a problem. I am stating, however, that we don't yet know. If the above test does, in fact, indicate a problem, read this.

Also, according to Apple:

Use Your iPad Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Elsewhere, Apple elaborates and explains that two half-discharges (or four quarter-discharges, etc.) equals one full discharge.

Apr 25, 2015 7:35 PM in response to rdmchavez

Since the upgrade my battery ran to zero in about half a day in standby mode when before it used to last for a full days use. I believe this is an 8.3 error judging by other forums. Mine has gone on to totally lock up now with the swipe screen and the home key not working to allow me into it. Feel free to follow my question to see if anyone comes up with a reply that could help...

Jun 22, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Key words there are the "vast majority"...but there are quite a few people that are having this issue that also includes lack of cellular coverage where it used to be fine getting "No Service", 1x, 3G coverage now. cannot make or receive calls many times, and when I do the battery drains quickly and the phone gets so hot that it's hard to hold sometimes....to name a few of the issues that "the minority users" are having after upgrading to 8.3

Jun 22, 2015 9:19 AM in response to Philly_Phan

I'm not doing anything differently....that's my point..currently sitting in my house where I have had perfect network coverage for the past 15 years and if I shutoff WiFi my phone shows 1x in the connection status, and actually just switched to "no service". Also when my phone battery drains at about 2x what it used to even when having just 1 or 2 apps like facebook and messaging running

Jun 22, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Philly_Phan

If I new exactly what was causing the issue I wouldn't be on an Apple support forum now would I bonehead? It's obviously a bug in the software release that must be affecting only the iPhones of a specific manufactured time frame, or chip set, etc. for example....you can search the internet and find many users that are having the same issues that I am so it's not just something us minority of affected users is doing differently. In my previous post I told you about the connection status being "no service" or 1x or 3G when it was previously LTE. I'm sitting in the exact same chair in the exact same home office location where I used to be able to use my Verizon iPhone to make and receive business calls. Now since I cannot communicate with my customers and potential customers it is costing me money in lost opportunities. If you can't assist me and aren't willing to admit that there is a definite issue, however big or small it may be, just say so and spare me the smart *** responses. You obviously have attended some type of Apple "Genius bar" training on how to treat loyal customers like Sh*t. While I was typing this a missed a call from a customer. My phone never rang and suddenly I had a voice mail alert. This isn't "user error". This is a real issue that Apple doesn't want to acknowledge as it would damage their reputation for quality products...oh wait, their existing reputation already *****.

Jun 22, 2015 10:48 AM in response to mbarikmo

mbarikmo wrote:

If I new exactly what was causing the issue I wouldn't be on an Apple support forum now would I bonehead? It's obviously a bug in the software release that must be affecting only the iPhones of a specific manufactured time frame, or chip set, etc. for example....you can search the internet and find many users that are having the same issues that I am so it's not just something us minority of affected users is doing differently. In my previous post I told you about the connection status being "no service" or 1x or 3G when it was previously LTE. I'm sitting in the exact same chair in the exact same home office location where I used to be able to use my Verizon iPhone to make and receive business calls. Now since I cannot communicate with my customers and potential customers it is costing me money in lost opportunities. If you can't assist me and aren't willing to admit that there is a definite issue, however big or small it may be, just say so and spare me the smart *** responses. You obviously have attended some type of Apple "Genius bar" training on how to treat loyal customers like Sh*t. While I was typing this a missed a call from a customer. My phone never rang and suddenly I had a voice mail alert. This isn't "user error". This is a real issue that Apple doesn't want to acknowledge as it would damage their reputation for quality products...oh wait, their existing reputation already *****.

Then how do you explain why your device is functioning differently from the vast majority of users?

Considering your offensive comment, I honestly hope that you never solve your problem. Cheers!

Jun 22, 2015 11:28 AM in response to Philly_Phan

haha...I knew from your initial response that you didn't have a clue about a fix for my issue and that when I do resolve my issue it wasn't going to be with any assistance from you.

"Perhaps you should investigate what you're doing differently." and...

"Then how do you explain why your device is functioning differently from the vast majority of users?"

Really? That's your response to my question and explanation of what is going on with my phone? "Then how do you explain why your device is functioning differently from the vast majority of users? That was my question to you..LOL

I have pages and pages of error reports in the diagnostics including bugs 179, 193, 156 to name a few. When searching on line for these I find many people that have the same issues with battery life, the service toggle form 1x to 3G to No Service etc....but no information on any Apple resolutions...

Cheers

Jun 25, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Philly_Phan

haha...I knew from your initial response that you didn't have a clue about a fix for my issue and that when I do resolve my issue it wasn't going to be with any assistance from you.

"Perhaps you should investigate what you're doing differently." and...

"Then how do you explain why your device is functioning differently from the vast majority of users?"

Really? That's your response to my question and explanation of what is going on with my phone? "Then how do you explain why your device is functioning differently from the vast majority of users? That was my question to you..LOL

I have pages and pages of error reports in the diagnostics including bugs 179, 193, 156 to name a few. When searching on line for these I find many people that have the same issues with battery life, the service toggle form 1x to 3G to No Service etc....but no information on any Apple r

Jun 25, 2015 2:26 PM in response to mbarikmo

I've continued to search the internet for solutions to the problem and continue to find many people , although not the vast majority of iPhone users are having the same problems as I am having nothing to do with something we are doing differently. Obviously Apple has not been able to come up with a fix since this thread below was started last fall.

Take a look at this thread for example:

Verizon iPhone 6 Signal Problem

Jun 25, 2015 2:40 PM in response to mbarikmo

mbarikmo wrote:

I've continued to search the internet for solutions to the problem and continue to find many people , although not the vast majority of iPhone users are having the same problems as I am having nothing to do with something we are doing differently. Obviously Apple has not been able to come up with a fix since this thread below was started last fall.

Take a look at this thread for example:

Verizon iPhone 6 Signal Problem

User uploaded file

after 8.3 update, battery drains quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.