Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep titles when moving from iPhoto to Photos

I can only sort my iPhotos by title as the current iPhoto Album is a mix of thousands of scanned, dated photos from 30 years of photos imprinted with incorrect dates depending on the scanning sequence. I couldn't sort my photos by title when I opened the new Photos because the titles didn't come over with the automatic import.

Is there a setting I have missed to see the titles and then sort by title in Photos? Or doesn't the title come over in the conversion?

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 3:39 PM

Is there a setting I have missed to see the titles and then sort by title in Photos? Or doesn't the title come over in the conversion?

You have enable titles to show in the View menu in Photos:

View > Metadata > Titles ⇧⌘T

But your iPhoto titles will only show, if you entered them manually in iphoto, not if iPhoto used filenames as title by default.

Filenames will not show as titles in Photos, only in the Info panel.

User uploaded file

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2015 3:39 PM in response to wdtoppin

You have enable titles to show in the View menu in Photos:

View > Metadata > Titles ⇧⌘T

But your iPhoto titles will only show, if you entered them manually in iphoto, not if iPhoto used filenames as title by default.

Filenames will not show as titles in Photos, only in the Info panel.

User uploaded file

Apr 26, 2015 3:05 PM in response to léonie

I used titles in iPhoto/Aperture and like to display the file name when browsing.

I used to batch change all my photos when importing to iPhoto so that the file name was always the date.

Now I've moved to iPhotos I can see all my previously imported photos with the file name displayed (i.e. the date).

However how do I change the file names of new imports to Photos to be the date?

Thank you

Apr 28, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Jerry Dammers

Jerry, try an Apple Script to set the titles to the date:

Open the Script Editor and paste this in:

(* Batch change the titles of the selected photos to the capture time

How to use this script:

- select all photos you want to change the title in Photos

- Open this script and run it by pressing the "Run" button.

- The script will read the capture date from the images and create a short date string according to the system preferences for the short date format set in System Preferences > Language and Region > Advanced

- The script will return the last date of the last photo it changed

- if you save this script as an Application you can add it to the Dock and run it from there

This script has been tested in Photos version 1.0, with MacOS X 10.10.3

© Léonie

*)

(* select at least 1 image in Photos *)

tell application "Photos"

activate

set imageSel to (get selection)

if (imageSel is {}) or (the length of imageSel < 1) then

error "Please select at least one image."

else

repeat with i from 1 to count of imageSel

set next_image to item i of imageSel

set capture_date to (the date of next_image)

set short_capture_date_string to the short date string of capture_date

set capture_time_string to the time string of capture_date

set new_title to short_capture_date_string & " @" & capture_time_string

tell next_image

set the name of next_image to the new_title as text

end tell

end repeat

end if

return "Adjusted the titles of " & (the length of imageSel) & " photos. The last date is " & ((the date of next_image) as date)

end tell

Then select the photos from your most recent import in Photos and click the "Run" button in the toolbar of Script Editor.

The script should look like this:

User uploaded file

It will format the date like in the short date format set in System Preferences > Language & Region > Advanced.

May 2, 2015 11:50 AM in response to wdtoppin

This app might be of interest to you: Photos for Mac: Batch Change Title to Capture Date-Description-Padded Sequential Number

It was created mostly by léonie and modified a bit by me to fit my requirements. It's good for doing batches of photos taken at the same event or occasion on the same day. There's a link at the end of the tip to download the app.

User uploaded file

May 3, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Old Toad

Still no luck unfortunately.

My photos are stored locally rather than iCloud Library

I've tried the original script with a small number and a large number photos, and within Photos and Albums.

When I cut and pasted the script from Dropbox, Script Editor doesn't accept it and unfortunately I can't get Old toad's script to work either. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Jun 14, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

With iCloud Photo Library active the scripts will frequently give timeout errors and the selection of photos with (get selection) is not very stable.

Either select the photos only in the "All Photos" album - nearly impossible in a large library or put them into a top level album with a fixed name.

I modified Old Toad's script above, so it can receive the photos in an album name "PhotoDropBox". You can change the name of the album in the script.

I also added error checks. The script will repeat the action after a delay and try again:

-- on run {input, parameters}

(*

batch change the title to the input with capture date and padded numbers, © léonie and Old Toad , version 2.0

The title format is: EXIF Capture Date (System's Short Date)–Description–Padded Sequential Number

Open this script in Script Editor. Launch Photos.

The photos can be passed to the script in two ways:

1. Either select photos while viewing the "All Photos" album; this works better than Moments or smart albums

2. Or collect the Photos in a top level defined album with a fixed name.

If you want to select the photos without collecting them in an album, set the variable "ReadFromAlbum" to false

If you want to pass the photos in a toplevel album, set ReadFromAlbum to true and change the variable "theAlbumName" to the name of the album you are using.

When all all photo are selected or in the album and all parameters set, press the "Run" button in Scripteditor. The script will prompt you for the caption to be added to the photos.

*)

set ReadFromAlbum to true

-- set this to true, if you want to pass the photos in a toplevel album

set theAlbumName to "PhotoDropBox" -- change this to the name of the album you will use

set titleSuffix to text returned of (display dialog "Enter the new description: " default answer "" buttons {"OK"} default button "OK")

set n_digits to 2 -- how many digits for the appended number

set answer to display dialog "Select the number of digits for the appended numbers (0 .. 10). Selecting '0' will suppress the leading zeros." buttons {"o.k"} default answer n_digits

set n_digits_text to the (text returned of answer)

set n_digits to n_digits_text as number

tell application "Photos"

activate

set counter to 1

if (ReadFromAlbum) then -- the photos will be passed in a toplevel album named "PhotoDropBox"

try

if existscontainertheAlbumName then

set thePhotosBuffer to containertheAlbumName

set imageSel to every media item of thePhotosBuffer

else

error "Album " & theAlbumName & "does not exist"

end if

on error errTexttwonumbererrNumtwo

display dialog "Cannot open album: " & errNumtwo & return & errTexttwo

end try

else -- process the selected photos from the All Photos album

try

set imageSel to (get selection)

display dialog "Cannot get the selection: " & errNumtwo & return & errTexttwo

end try

end if

if imageSel is {} then

error "Please select some images."

else

repeat with next_image in imageSel

-- the counter with padded numbers

set ntext to the counter as text

repeat while (the length of ntext < n_digits) -- add leading zeros

set ntext to "0" & ntext

end repeat

-- retrive the date

try

-- set capture_time_string to the time string of capture_date

set new_title to short_capture_date_string & "-" & titleSuffix & "-" & ntext as text

tell next_image

set the name to new_title as text

set counter to counter + 1

end tell

display dialog "Error: " & errNum & return & errText & "Trying again"

try

delay 2 -- second try after delay

set new_title to short_capture_date_string & "-" & titleSuffix & "-" & ntext as text

tell next_image

set the name to new_title as text

set counter to counter + 1

end tell

display dialog "Skipping image due to repeated error: " & errNumtwo & return & errTexttwo

end try

end try

end repeat

end if

end tell

return new_title

-- end run

This version is a stand-alone script, that does not need Automator.

If you want to compile it, uncomment the "on run" and "end run" lines.

It is working well on my larger iCloud Photo Library with 37000 photos right now.

Keep titles when moving from iPhoto to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.