Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I tell if I have a virus or just battery issues?

So a few days ago I let my MacBook die, when I tried turning it back on the next morning it would shut off as I logged into my account. So I tried to log into guest user and it let me but it doesn't recognize my network. If I don't log into either accounts it shuts off in about five minutes. When I run diagnostics it gets to about 95% and then it freezes. I think it's a virus but I also think it might be a battery problem. Even when it's plugged in and it still doesn't stay on more than five minutes. Unless I log into guest user but I can't go anywhere in guest user.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 4:27 PM

It cannot be a virus as none exist for Macs.

Post an etrecheck report for analysis.

Pete

34 replies

Apr 25, 2015 4:46 PM in response to lakegigi

Click on the blue etrecheck link, read the directions on the site and then post the results back here. It is safe, will not post any personal details and may give an indication of what may be causing your issue. There are more complex ways to try to resolve your issue, but an etrecheck gives a quick way to remedy any 'obvious' third party conflicts.

Cheers

Pete

Apr 26, 2015 3:40 AM in response to lakegigi

It sounds like a battery issue. On a laptop it is underneath, under a removable panel. You should need tools.

But it will depend on the year of the laptop if this is a problem to be easily fixed. Most laptops will remain operational while plugged in, no matter the condition of the battery.

A good test is to boot the computer, check the battery level, and then unplug from the charger. If the computer shuts down, then its the battery. Some laptops register a full battery or half charge when the battery can't charge at all, its just pass due.

Batteries are easily replaced but usually cost around 200 bucks.

Apr 26, 2015 4:40 AM in response to lakegigi

lakegigi wrote:

So a few days ago I let my MacBook die, when I tried turning it back on the next morning it would shut off as I logged into my account.

It sounds like something is badly wrong with your system. It is not a virus, nor is it related to the battery. (You may or may not also have battery issues, but if it were a battery problem, it would affect all users and wouldn't affect you if you had the machine plugged in to a power outlet, as you describe.)

Do you have Time Machine backups? If so, you may want to restore your system to a state prior to when this problem occurred. See:

How do I restore my entire system?

If you don't have Time Machine backups, do you have any backups at all?

How do I tell if I have a virus or just battery issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.