📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings to get the most from the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Ultra

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hey Siri Problem

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else was occasionally having trouble with "Hey Siri" while using the watch. When I press and old the digital crown, everything works as expected and Siri takes the request. However, when I raise my wrist and say "Hey Siri," Siri will sometimes give up listening immediately with the message of "How may I help you" and a microphone button appears. Other times Siri will just wait patiently until I say something. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't suspect there are any hardware issues as it does work well when Siri does give me the time to state my question. Now I have tried saying "Hey Siri" and immediately stating my question instead of waiting for Siri to listen, and it works every time. It only seems to happen when I say "Hey Siri" and wait for Siri to show that it's listening.

Thanks,

Gabe

Apple Watch, iOS 8, Silver

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 8:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 9:14 PM

My issue is that "Hey Siri" doesn't work at all. I'm speaking directly in to the microphone with no success. Oddly, in the dozens of times I've tried it, "Hey Siri" has worked ONCE and I have no clue what could have caused it.

17 replies

Apr 25, 2015 9:47 PM in response to Brandon Murry

Hi Brandon. I found that you have to be pretty close to it and pretend your James Bond. Otherwise it doesn't work. I put Siri through the paces today and found out that Siri will quit responding after a while. "hey Siri" brings Siri up to listen, but it gets stuck in eternal listening limbo and quits answering questions all together. It isn't until I restart the watch that it goes back to working. But just as I stated, sometimes Siri waits listen and other times it shuts you down and you get a Microphone button.

Apr 25, 2015 10:18 PM in response to Brandon Murry

Let me know if Siri waits patiently for you to ask a question after you say "Hey Siri" or if it occasionally just goes to a message stating "How may I help you" with a microphone button. I can reproduced the after a few tries on mine. But as stated above, if you say "hey Siri" and immediately ask your question, it works flawlessly.

Apr 25, 2015 10:52 PM in response to GabeZs

Ok GabZs, I tried what you suggested.
I hate to tell you but when I say "Hey Siri"... Siri will wait patiently until I start talking. If I say an incomplete phrase she gives me some sass, but she will wait until I say something. There was one time where the button popped up, but I don't know how to replicate it. I just kind of assumed it was for when Siri heard something but wasn't quite sure what it was.

However, if I activate Siri by holding the crown, she will only wait for a question or command for 2-5 seconds before she stops waiting. Also, pressing and continuing to hold the crown will bring up Siri, once the crown is let go Siri's waiting period ends as well.

Good luck to you man if you are having problems. I think Siri is one of the most important features for the watch, so getting it fully up and running is a big priority.

-Bradon

Apr 26, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Brandon Murry

Hi Brandon, The button popping up is what I'm referring to. I would assume that whether or not you use use Siri through the crown, or simply say "hey siri", it's probably not supposed to wait to long for a response. However, like your watch, Siri can wait patiently after saying "hey Siri". I've been playing with it more and more, and I can't figure out why I get the microphone button immediately as opposed to other times when Siri will just wait. At first I though it might be do to the sensors seeing movement in my arm, but I can hold the watch in my hand and still see it (once I unlock it and keep it pressed against my hand). I then though it must be related to too either too much noise or too little noise for Siri. However, whether I'm in a quite room or noisey restaurant, I get the same results. I then thought it might be related to connection. But I live quite litterally next to a Verizon tower...... I'm still thinking this might be normal operation or possibly a bug that needs fixed. I just want to put my mind at ease and not continue to think there's something wrong with the watch. I would really hate to go to the Apple Store just to pick up a refurb after spending this much on a new watch.

Apr 30, 2015 5:59 PM in response to GabeZs

I am also having issues, but slightly different. My problem is that once I am done issuing a command siri continues to listen and never goes anywhere. So the raise of the wrist and "hey Siri, tell so and so this and that" all works, and I see the words appear... but the little audio waves continue to bounce and nothing happens for a long time until it just times out and shuts off.

Restarting my watch solved the problem but its pretty annoying to have to restart it every day or two. However, there will always be bugs with new products, and this watch has worked pretty well other than that.

Hey Siri Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.