Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else getting a random "pop" sound when the screen comes on?

It's random and doesn't seem to affect anything else, but every so often when I raise my wrist to view, a small pop sound emits from the speaker. It doesn't happen every time, and the speaker itself works fine. The only water that has come into contact so far has been from washing my hands.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Watch Sport 42mm

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 8:05 AM

I have this happen too! 42mm Stainless Steel.

I thought at first it was just the strap or strap connectors clicking when raising my wrist to view the screen, but today I isolated it to the speaker on the device. It doesn't happen every time, but enough that it's a mildly annoying quirk.

Also, if I take my watch into a very quiet room, hold the speaker slits to my ear, I can hear extremely faint white noise coming from it when the screen is lit. So for some reason when the screen turns on on the Apple Watch, the speaker wakes up too, and when the speaker wakes up, it sometimes emits an clearly audible popping noise.

Also of note, the speaker functions perfectly fine when on. Notification sounds and calls sound crisp and clear, just for some reason it pops when turning on the circuitry that controls the speaker.

My device has never touched water.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2015 8:05 AM in response to JustinTheDezyner

I have this happen too! 42mm Stainless Steel.

I thought at first it was just the strap or strap connectors clicking when raising my wrist to view the screen, but today I isolated it to the speaker on the device. It doesn't happen every time, but enough that it's a mildly annoying quirk.

Also, if I take my watch into a very quiet room, hold the speaker slits to my ear, I can hear extremely faint white noise coming from it when the screen is lit. So for some reason when the screen turns on on the Apple Watch, the speaker wakes up too, and when the speaker wakes up, it sometimes emits an clearly audible popping noise.

Also of note, the speaker functions perfectly fine when on. Notification sounds and calls sound crisp and clear, just for some reason it pops when turning on the circuitry that controls the speaker.

My device has never touched water.

Apr 29, 2015 8:05 AM in response to DaytonaZ33

Yeah that's exactly the issue I'm experiencing! Not a huge problem, just annoying. And an issue that I'm worried will get worse with time.

I talked with Apple this morning to add AppleCare and so far this is not a known issue. They'll be working with me to figure it out and I'll update this post with any information I get from them!

Apr 29, 2015 8:18 PM in response to Jerryb

I think what you're hearing is a notification, but what we're describing is definitely not a notification. It's a very subtle (but annoying) sound that happens when you raise your wrist (sometimes) and the screen comes on. I keep saying "pop" but it's more of a "pip" or a "click" sound, like the speakers are kicking on with some feedback or something.

May 7, 2015 6:27 AM in response to JustinTheDezyner

I have the exact same issue you described. My alert volume is all the way down and the haptic strength is set at max. If my watch screen has been off for a few minutes or so and I raise my arm, i get a pop from the speaker at the same time the display comes on. Its starting to get annoying. I have the 42mm sport and its never come in contact with water.

Anyone else getting a random "pop" sound when the screen comes on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.