Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No bootable disk after BCA restart nor after restart with alt/option key on Yosemite 10.10.3!

So I just got back from the Apple store and had my hard disk completely erased and fixed, fresh with the newest Yosemite 10.10.3!

I can't manage to install Windows 7 64bit on it after using Boot Camp Assistant and a USB (2.0).

I have already done the partition by dividing equally, downloaded the Boot Camp files to support windows.

Every time Boot Camp Assistant restarts the laptop, I get to the No bootable disk Error!

A lot of people mentioned restarting again using the alt/option key and after trying that I ONLY get the Macintosh partition as an available boot up system! Which I think means the USB is not even correctly prepared and the ISO image is not well burned (except if I'm wrong, no idea)!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

thank you 🙂

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Apr 26, 2015 12:39 PM

13 replies

Apr 26, 2015 12:49 PM in response to Sebalex

It's apparent you don't really know what you are doing, so here goes.

To start from the OS X volume:

Boot Using OPTION key:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the

"OPTION" key.

3. Release the key when the boot manager appears.

4. Select the Macintosh partition - Macintosh HD.

5. Click on the arrow button below the icon.

How to install Windows using Boot Camp

Boot Camp - Apple Support

Boot Camp- System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems

Apr 26, 2015 3:38 PM in response to Kappy

Okay I did a MAJOR mistake in my explication. That is really not what I needed, I know how to use and sign in my macintosh HD hard disk.

I'm talking about the USB that is supposed to Boot in (in order to install windows 7) after being restarted by the Boot Camp Assistant.

1-After the restart I get the ''no bootable device'' error instead of the Windows installation page

2-If I restart and hold down the option key it does not see any other drive than my Macintosh partition (no bootcamp, no bootable USB), when I click on the option key.

Sorry for explaining it bad, and thanks for your time!

Apr 26, 2015 3:58 PM in response to Sebalex

1. If your Mac has a built-in Optical drive (or used to have on originally), you cannot use a USB to install Windows. There a few models which are an exception to this rule, for example the 2012 MBPs, which support both.

2. You cannot use a USB3 device, if the Item #1, is satisfied. You must use a USB2 device. It should be flash drive of 8+ GB. It cannot be external disk storage.

Apr 26, 2015 4:07 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you;

Last year I used a USB to install windows using BCA and that worked perfectly. Right now I'm using the same USB (32GB 2.0), it can't detect it after bootcamp restart. I also tried it with another USB (8GB 2.0) and same problem... So it can't be #1 cause I've done this before with the same laptop, and can't be #2 cause it's anyway 2.0 and definitely not an external disk storage.

Anything else I can check?

(Also, just last week I was trying the same thing and both USB's were being perfectly recognised after restarting by holding down the alt/option button! But then I had a problem and reinstalled the OS from zero)

Thanks again!

Apr 26, 2015 4:19 PM in response to Sebalex

If the USB is a USB2, then your ISO is most likely corrupted. If this was created from a retail DVD, you should look at Boot Camp: Creating an ISO image from a Windows installation DVD - Apple Support. The retail DVD cannot be a mixed 32-bit and 64-bit version.

If the ISO came from a different source, you should validate the MD5sum/SHA1 of the ISO with the source. You can either use OS X Terminal (openssl md5 command) or M$ FCIV tool on a Windows machine.

Apr 27, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Sebalex

From OS X Terminal (the .cdr and .iso are equivalent).

$ ls ~/Desktop/Windows8.1-64bit.cdr

/Users/MyName/Desktop/Windows8.1-64bit.cdr

$ openssl md5 ~/Desktop/Windows8.1-64bit.cdr

MD5(/Users/MyName/Desktop/Windows8.1-64bit.cdr)= f104b78019e86e74b149ae5e510f7be9

From Windows PC (I am using Windows 8.1)

1. Install FCIV - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11533

2. Run FCIV in a Command Window as an Administrator

User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the tips. Since I do not have a windows partition installed nor a windows laptop in the house, I followed the Terminal tips and did what you said.

I also downloaded the Windows 7 ISO image from an official windows-selling website.

Still, when BCA finishes partitioning and preparing the bootable USB, it restarts and stops at ''No bootable device. etc.''. If I restart holding down option/ALT key, it only shows the Macintosh partition...

I really don't understand why it can prepare the USB and do the partition with no problem whatsoever and then get stuck and not even see the USB! 😕

Thanks again!

Apr 27, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Sebalex

Modifying the Bootcamp Info.plist can cause additional problems. Based on your signature

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)

From MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) - Technical Specifications,

Storage

• 500GB or 750GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive; optional 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive, 500GB 7200-rpm hard drive, or 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive6
  • 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW
  • Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

you have a built-in Optical drive. With very few exceptions from 2011/2012, if the BCA does not show the option to build a USB, forcing it causes 'no boot device' or black screen errors.

Is your Optical drive functional? If yes, you must use it to install Windows. The BC drivers can be installed after Windows has been installed using generic drivers. If the Optical drive is not functional, you will need to get it fixed. BCA uses The Mac Model Identifier to set the boot path to be the Optical drive and it will not boot from the USB.

Apr 28, 2015 2:28 AM in response to Loner T

Hey!

I ended up finding an old CD I had prepared of windows 7 and installed it with no problem whatsoever.

Even though I have installed all the Windows supporting files downloaded from BCA, I can't see my macintosh HD partition to copy some files to my windows partition, not even with the Macdrive software (I also ticked the box of sharing files with windows in System preferences). Any tips on that?

here's the link to my question concerning that problem: Can't access nor see Macintosh partition and files in Windows

Thank you for your help and time!

No bootable disk after BCA restart nor after restart with alt/option key on Yosemite 10.10.3!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.