Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2560x1600 via HDMI? Dell U3011 monitor.

Connected my new Macbook 12 Retina to my Dell U3011 (30" 2560x1600 native) via the Apple USB-C Digital AV adapter and HDMI. The max resolution I can set is 1920x1200. On the display settings page on my Macbook, it's set to 60hz and there's no option to lower it to 30hz. Any ideas?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 27, 2015 9:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 11:50 PM

Figured it out! I am successfully using Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter with HDMI cable to Dell U3011.

The problem appears to be that the monitor has a faulty EDID over HDMI. It reports its native resolution to be 1900x1200 instead of 2560x1600. However, using SwitchResX, we can force the output to be full resolution.

• Install SwitchResX (follow directions for disabling System Integrity Protection). I used the trial version to test it out.
  • Choose "DELL U3011 (2)" on the left-hand list.
  • Choose Custom Resolutions tab.
  • Add the following resolution: Choose "Custom resolution" in dropdown. Check "Use simplified settings". Select "CVT-RB". Set "Active": 2560 pixels x 1600 lines. Set "Scan rate": 60 Hz.
  • Click OK, then Cmd-S to save.
  • Reboot, then go to the "Current Resolutions" tab of SwitchResX, and choose the "2560x1600 , 60Hz (NTSC)" option.
20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2017 11:50 PM in response to commasign

Figured it out! I am successfully using Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter with HDMI cable to Dell U3011.

The problem appears to be that the monitor has a faulty EDID over HDMI. It reports its native resolution to be 1900x1200 instead of 2560x1600. However, using SwitchResX, we can force the output to be full resolution.

• Install SwitchResX (follow directions for disabling System Integrity Protection). I used the trial version to test it out.
  • Choose "DELL U3011 (2)" on the left-hand list.
  • Choose Custom Resolutions tab.
  • Add the following resolution: Choose "Custom resolution" in dropdown. Check "Use simplified settings". Select "CVT-RB". Set "Active": 2560 pixels x 1600 lines. Set "Scan rate": 60 Hz.
  • Click OK, then Cmd-S to save.
  • Reboot, then go to the "Current Resolutions" tab of SwitchResX, and choose the "2560x1600 , 60Hz (NTSC)" option.

Jan 6, 2017 3:54 PM in response to commasign

I was able to get my Macbook Retina to display at 2560x1600 (30 Hz) on a Dell 3011 using the HDMI adapter when I installed Microsoft Windows 10. Had to go into the Intel Graphics Control Panel to define a new resolution of 2560x1600 at 30Hz and then it worked. This means there must be a software issue that prevents it from displaying at the full native resolution in MacOS.

Has anyone found a way around this issue in MacOS?

Nov 16, 2017 4:18 PM in response to commasign

For the record, I'm running my U3011 at 2560x1600@50Hz via ordinary HDMI cable only. I've done this on a few OS's / machines.

Windows users: your graphics driver may allow you to add a custom resolution. I use 24 as the horizontal settings (front, scan and back intervals / porch) and 6 for the verticals. With the resolution above, 50Hz pushes the pixel clock to 212 MHz I believe, which seems to be about the limit the HDMI input can handle.

Linux: It's easy to translate the above into a modeline, and add using xrandr "addmode". Mild googling will solve.

OSX: I believe you can add an EDID override file. Hopefully the figures above can help, or just buy the adapter mentioned in the other replies.

Jul 29, 2015 6:54 AM in response to commasign

Hi, I bump this old discussion because I'm about to buy a Macbook that I plan to hook up to my old Dell 3008 FWP that I have in my office. Honestly I can hardly believe a simple HDMI-DVI (single-link) adapter can handle native resolution of 2560x1600, because DVI single link (not even considering the adapter) is not able to go that high. I remember when I bought this monitor I didn't even know about the existence of DVI dual-link, so I just hooked it to my PC with the existing single-link cable (to not have to pass it again behind the desk) and it looked awful. Then I took out of the monitor box the dual-link cable, used that and 2560x1600@60Hz looked wonderful.

Maybe a HDMI-DP adapter could work? Can't find anything suitable around...

2560x1600 via HDMI? Dell U3011 monitor.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.