Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BMW bluetooth audio not working iPhone 6 iOS 8.3 (12F70)

I have a 2013 BMW X3 and have updated to the latest bmw firmware here:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/navigation/bluetooth/bluetooth_software_update_ vin.jsp?region=&country=

I have iOS 8.3 (12F70) on an iphone 6.

bluetooth audio streaming doesn't work

USB audio doesn't work.

when playing music from the phone (with bluetooth on, connected, BT audio checked in bmw settings)

the iphone shows the track playing (not audible), and nothing comes out of the bmw speakers.

the same is true for being connected via USB

also, when BT is connected, phone calls work normal. when switching audio modes via i-drive button, the radio display says "no CD inserted"

It does not recognize the paired iphone and only switches back and forth from FM to CD.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 5:37 AM

21 replies

Oct 5, 2017 9:18 PM in response to bigTom4

Hi,

I just encountered the same problem today with my iPhone6s on IOS11. I just "delete all personal data" under bluetooth setting menu and waited for about 2 mins. Then I forget the BMW bluetooth on iPhone and set up connection again. The problem got solved. However, the shortcut I saved got deleted by this process, too.

It looks like a BMW problem but not iPhone problem. The computer on BMW may have bugs. The losing connection using USB also gets me headache. Looks like the integration between iPhone and BMW is just so bad...

Btw, my car is 2014 BMW 435i

Apr 30, 2015 2:33 PM in response to bigTom4

Hi bigTom4,

I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your iPhone. If you continue to have audio issues when connecting to your BMW's stereo via Bluetooth or USB, you may find the troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful (apologies if you have already seen it):

Get help using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo - Apple Support

Regards,

- Brenden

May 1, 2015 5:20 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks Brendan.

This doesnt help, as I have everything updated On both the car and the iPhone. It's really disappointing that both Apple and BMW claim that it's supported when it just plain is not. There are so many people on here that have the same issues.

And since streaming was working before the latest iOS update, apple should fix this ASAP.

May 4, 2015 3:01 PM in response to bigTom4

Hello,

bigTom4, sorry to hear you're having these issues, but since I'm having exactly the same problem, I have to admit it's nice not to be the only one who is frustrated.

Deggie, you have a different audio/infotainment system than the CIC found in 2013 models. You have a faster processor, and other goodies. So, it's not surprising that your system is working while our virtually obsolete 2013 CICs are not.

Apple, please address this. The BT audio was indeed working just fine until the last iOS update.

Thank you...

May 10, 2015 6:40 AM in response to dr-j

dr-j,

I have good news. I brought mine to BMW for standard maintenance and asked them to take a look. They said that since I updated my phone, sometime the car forgets about external devices. here's what to do:

when you push the audio button to switch from FM radio to CD and it says "no cd" blah blah,

when you're on that screen, push the iDrive wheel to the left, then you'll see a list of audio sources, scroll down and select your paired iPhone. then you should be back to how you knew it before the last update.

I hope this helps you.

May 10, 2015 12:03 PM in response to bigTom4

bigTom4,

Glad you found a solution that worked, and thank you for posting what you discovered in hopes that it would help me and others. Unfortunately, though, after the CD (no cd inserted) screen, when I click iDrive to the left, the paired iPhone does not come up as an available option. I get the external devices, tone, and bluetooth options, but no iPhone. And of course, when I click external devices, the next screen shows my iPhone, already paired/connected. But clicking on the iPhone option from there only starts the image of a song playing on the CIC screen, but with no audio coming out of the speakers.

Please let me know if I misunderstood your post instructions. Otherwise, it seems I'll have to have BMW look at it the next time I bring in my X3, or will have to hope that Apple finally gets it right with Bluetooth connectivity (though I'm not holding my breath on this one).

Thanks again, though!

May 23, 2015 1:02 PM in response to bigTom4

Hi all,

I have the same problem. I also made an update of the system to versions MN-2.255.60, TN-2.255.62, but in official papers is written :

Supported devices The software update improves the compatibil‐ ity of the following devices: Multimedia ▷ Apple: iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S (iOS7)

So nothing about iOS 8.

And I dont understand why I cannot use USB stick, why it is not recognized ?

Do you have any idea ?

Jul 22, 2015 2:11 PM in response to bigTom4

i have a 2013 M3, and was extremely disappointed to find the BT audio no longer worked. Here is what helped me.

Confirm phone is paired:

1) press Menu on the controls near the shifter

2) select CD/Multimedia

3) press left until you see cd/dvd, music collection, external media, etc

4) select Blueooth audio

5) select your phone and wait until it successfully pairs

Pull up bluetooth audio

1) go back to list cd/dvd, etc

2) select external devices

3) select your phone

Confirm that your phone is playing music

1) Push play on the car or on the phone

caveats:

It is important to note that the volume on your phone and car are controlled INDEPENDENTLY of each other. Confirm your phone's volume is up all the way, THEN try turning up the volume on your car. I thought it wasn't working until I realized the volume on my phone was down all the way.

Sep 12, 2015 12:03 PM in response to bigTom4

Pure and simple IOS 8 and its connectivity is a piece of garbage! I have given up trying to make Apple's software work. This is not a BMW issue, since many other auto manufacturers are having the same issue. I was running iOS 7 fine. As soon as I upgraded the 8 all the issues began. Here are just some of them:

1. The Phone Book does not fully sync. I get a partial list of names and then just a bunch of "..." for remaining names.
  2. Phone book look up has stopped working
  3. Only way I can initiate a call is by starting it first on the phone. Only redial works from the car

Its as if Apple changed their Bluetooth command structure. Apple proclaims that they care about the "customer's experience". Well the customer experience with iOS 8 and the connectivity to auto's is HORRIBLE. I spend a significant amount of time in my vehicle and I am close to pulling out my old 4S which I fortunately have not upgraded, to use in my car. I need the connectivity, but not the headaches.

If Apple wants drive iOS version fragmentation like Android, keep building and releasing POORLY TESTED (if any) OS's!! I'm looking for a way to downgrade my iPhone 5S to iOS 7, since I can't downgrade my iPhone 6!!

Furious!

Steve Sykes

Oct 5, 2015 1:31 PM in response to veen_4u

Hi there,

Joining this thread late but I've been having the same problem after updating my iPhone to iOS 9. Tried everything but just found a tip from another site that suggested a fix that finally worked for me!! Settings > General > Rest > Rest All Settings. Ok so you'll have to re-enter wifi password settings, the finger-print login process (if you've set it up) plus some other minor customization stuff but the fix does work - and well worth the minor hassle of re-setting things up.

BMW bluetooth audio not working iPhone 6 iOS 8.3 (12F70)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.