Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch running accuracy

Curious to hear about other's early day experience with Apple Watch while running. Results for me, relative to what I've seen using other devices or apps, are a bit all over the place.

For example, for a 7 mile run in 60 minutes for a 41-yr old male, 6'0 185 lbs:

- Strava: ~1000-1050 calories burned, avg heart rate ~ 140-150bpm (outdoors)

- Life Fitness: ~1000 calories burned (on a treadmill)

- Nike+: ~ 900-950 calories burned (outdoors)

- Apple Watch: 690 calories burned, avg heart rate 190-210bpm (this is on a 'Run Outside' setting)

As an aside, I also tried it with Insanity for a 42-minute Plyo workout and only burned around 350 calories, which I could just about do walking (and break a much lighter sweat).

What are others seeing, and are there tricks to improve accuracy? Thanks.

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 11:13 AM

43 replies

Feb 22, 2017 6:46 AM in response to davecz

I use the Series 2 watch for Outdoor Cycling with my iPhone 6S and I'm surprised at how inaccurate it is considering it's using GPS (Apple maps) to calculate it's distances and from that along with heart rate, calorie burn and exercise level. I've ridden the same route for years, here are the distances from several sources;

Bike Odometer; 18.61 miles

MapMyRide; 18.44 miles

Google Earth; 18.36 miles

Apple Watch; 17.36 miles

The first 3 I consider within the margin of error, but Apple Watch is almost 6% less. For me that's not acceptable. Manual calibration in an upcoming software would be greatly appreciated. Also, while they are working on the Workout App, how about a whole lot more choices in the "Other" category such as Golf, Yard work, Strength Training, etc.

Apple has a lot of room for improvement in the iWatch as sport/fitness trainer.

May 2, 2015 7:39 AM in response to davecz

It is possible you are comparing apples to oranges. The “Workout” app reports active calories burned. The “Activity” app displays both the active and resting calories burned during the workout. The total calories burned during the workout will include both the resting and active calories. It's likely that the other devices you used include both. I assume the 690 calories you report are just the Active calories.

One example: I walked a 5.1 mile route at 4.3 mph and the workout app says I have burned 451 calories, but the Activity app also includes 130 calories of resting, for a total of 581 calories. I used an online calculator that uses my height, weight and age and it estimates I should burn 517 calories. The online calculator doesn’t use my heart rate or the elevation change during the walk, so it should be less accurate. The walk has an elevation gain of 600’, so it is logical that my calorie burn should be more than the online calculator. The watch appears to be fairly accurate in this example.

I have made this same walk four times using the watch and it has been within 6 calories each time… very precise! My walking speed ranged from 4.1 to 4.3 mph on the four walks. I also have made two 6.3 mile hikes (with a 1300’ elevation change) and the watch calculated a total (resting plus active) of 850 and 828 calories (also quite close). The 850 burn was at a faster pace with a 128 bpm heart rate, compared to 115 bpm for the lower calorie burn, so the difference in the calories seems about right.

I put your statistics in the same calculator and it estimated a 966 calorie burn for your run (again, no heart rate info). I assume the 690 calories you report are just the Active calories, so that would require 276 resting calories to make up the difference. I am about the same height/weight as you and my resting calories for an hour would be a little over 100 calories, so 276 seems a little high. However, I am over 20 years older than you with a 50 bpm resting heart rate, so your resting calories would likely be higher due to your younger age (and possibly a higher resting heart rate). Given all this, I would say the watch may be slightly low in your case (assuming the online calculator is accurate), but the watch still seems more accurate than the other devices (assuming the 690 is only the active calories).

The only other thing that seems odd is the heart rate during the run… it seems very high. Do you think it is accurate? Are you using the “Power Saving Mode” in the Workout app? You can check this on the Watch app (on the iPhone) and look under the Workout app settings. The Power Saving Mode still measures your heart rate, but is less accurate than the default mode.

The most accurate way to measure calorie burn requires measuring your oxygen consumption, which has a direct relationship to calories. The Watch/iPhone (and all your other devices) use indirect methods to estimate calories. In general, a device that use heart rate, distance and elevation should be better than a device that only counts steps. However, I don’t really care if the results are completely accurate, as long as they are consistent. I simply want to be able to compare one workout with another. The Apple Watch has proven to be VERY consistent in my experience so far.

Dave

May 1, 2015 1:43 PM in response to davecz

Howdy davecz,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

As far as increasing the accuracy of the measurement in the Workout and Activity apps, one of the best steps you can take is to calibrate your Apple Watch. To do this, please follow the directions in the first link below. Then please look at the other tips outlined below to ensure you get the best measurement on your Apple Watch.

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Get the best measurement

Your Apple Watch will estimate your measurements during workouts based on the information that you entered during setup, but you can further improve its accuracy using these tips:

• Wearing your Apple Watch regularly can improve the accuracy of the Activity and Workout apps.
  • Choose the Workout that best matches what you’re doing. For example, if you're running on a treadmill, choose Indoor Run.
  • For GPS accuracy when you walk, run, or cycle outdoors, select the appropriate Workout and bring your iPhone. This will also help calibrate the accelerometer in Apple Watch for times when you don’t have GPS, such as during treadmill workouts or when you're running outside without your phone.
  • To get the most accurate heart rate measurement when you use Workout, make sure your Apple Watch fits snugly on top of your wrist. The heart rate sensor should stay close to your skin.
  • You can also use another heart rate monitoring device, such as a chest strap. To pair an external heart rate monitor with your Apple Watch, tap the Settings app on the Home screen, then tap Bluetooth and select it under Health Devices. Learn more about the Apple Watch heart rate sensor, its accuracy, and its limitations.

Learn more about how to wear your Apple Watch.

Use the Workout app on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Have a great weekend,

Alex H.

May 2, 2015 7:43 AM in response to David Strait

Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Dave. The watch said I had around 100 resting calories, bringing the total to around 800, which still seems light to me. I have a resting heart rate around 45-50bpm as well.

I need to certainly give this more reps before drawing any conclusions, but am hopeful this will turn out to provide consistent, reasonably accurate quantification of calorie burn and heart rate - reason I bought it in the first place. Hopefully this will calibrate a bit better with additional use.

May 3, 2015 9:25 AM in response to davecz

Some more data points to share:

Bike ride:

- 30.4 mi, avg speed 13.8 mph, 2:11:22, 120bpm avg heart rate, 1273 active calories burned (1512 total)

This to me seems like a pretty reasonable accounting from what I've seen in other cases

Run (w/ Apple Watch, iPhone 6 on armband, Nike+ and Apple Watch Workout 'Outdoor Run' tracking)

- Nike+: 4.10mi, 35:44, 8'41 avg mile, 141bpm avg heart rate, 542 calories burned

- Apple Watch: 4.00mi, 35:41, 8'54 avg mile, 143bpm avg heart rate, 381 calories burned (446 total)

I've run with other trackers for years and continue to feel Apple Watch is low on calorie burn when it comes to running. Not sure why the distance conflicts with Nike+ as they should be using the same GPS. Also how did I have 65 'resting calories' when I ran non-stop?

Someone from Apple did contact me directly on my post so I appreciate the fact they are taking this seriously and trying to get this right.

May 3, 2015 10:15 AM in response to davecz

As I attempted to clarify in my first post, your resting calories are the calories that you would burn if you did no exercise at all (many of them are used simply to operate your brain). The active calories are the additional calories used because you were exercising. It is useful to know how much benefit you get from completing the exercise. The total calories burned during your run are the total of resting and active calories.

The difference between the run and bike ride makes sense to me if you look at it as calories burned per hour. The bike ride (~692 cal/hour at 120 bpm ) compared to the run (~750 cal/hour at 143 bpm) seems about right. Your heart rate during the run was higher than than during your bike ride, therefore the calorie burn per hour should be greater. Yet you seem to think the run was low on calories compared to the bike ride(?).

The distance difference between the two makes little sense to me as well. You could run a measured mile and see which is more accurate. It would be interesting to see if the Nike was always longer (systematic error) or random. With this info, you could decide which to use. On the other hand, the difference between the two is less than 3% (it may not matter).

One thing I am sure of is none of the fitness trackers (including the Watch) will be completely accurate. The best methods to estimate calorie burn requires measuring oxygen consumption. Fitness trackers simply use other metrics to indirectly estimate calorie consumption. I don't know which tracker data is more accurate, but at least the data I have seen from the Watch (including your data) seems consistent and makes sense.

Dave

May 11, 2015 9:04 AM in response to davecz

Ok, so I tried calibrating the accuracy of the Apple Watch Workout app as explained by Apple Support. I went for and outdoor walk for 20 minutes with the Apple Watch Workout app activated and with the Iphone on my pocket. After the walk it showed that I walked for 23,36 minutes and a total distance of 1,29 (picture attached).

Ok so it looks like my Apple watch was calibrated let's head to the gym!!! I got on the Treadmill and launch the workout app and selected indoor run, I set it up for a goal of 2,0km (aprox. 1,24 Ml). On the treadmill on a slow with some sprints I am able to reach that distance in approximately 14 minutes. After that time I looked at the watch and it showed half the distance it was showing on the Treadmill. So I kept running for a couple more minutes and checked the final data showed on the Treadmill and on the Watch. It is ridiculous the gap between the distance on the Apple Watch workout app and on the Treadmill. On the Treadmill it showed that I ran for 18 min and a distance of 2,45km (aprox. 1,52 Ml) and burned 171 cal (picture attached) and on the Apple Watch it showed that I ran for 18 min and a distance of 0,76km (aprox. 0,47 Ml) and burned 52 cal (picture attached). That is a third of the real distance and calories on the Apple Watch!!!

Before I bought my Apple Watch I was using the Microsoft Band and before that I used the FuelBand, both of them was very accurate on measuring paces and distance without the need of special calibration and using the GPS of the phone... What happened with the Apple Watch???!!!

Looking forward on an update that solves this gap between steps and distance... Very disappointed...

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

May 11, 2015 8:37 PM in response to David Strait

I think in the end this description of gross vs net calorie burn, or active versus resting calories helps reconcile most of the difference from what I was seeing. I didn't realize treadmills typically use gross calculations. The Apple Watch still seems a bit low when compared to other sources on a consistent basis, but not enough to be the outlier I originally perceived it to be.

Thanks for everyone's help here.

Apple Watch running accuracy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.