Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iPhoto pictures are all gone after upgrade to Photos

Can anyone please help!!! All my pictures from iPhoto are all gone after upgraded to Photos tonight. Anyone know how I can recover them?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 29, 2015 10:19 PM

7 replies

Apr 30, 2015 9:25 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks, Terence Devlin, photos are in iCloud, it's just iPhoto which is missing. Apparently the new system no longer supports it. I'm good as long as the photos are available. I did do a back-up when I still had iPhoto, but i can't see the purpose in restoring it if it's no longer supported. I missed the news that iPhoto was to be dumped, and haven't figured out how to edit my photos now, but at least I can find the photos. Thank you so much for the reply.

Apr 30, 2015 11:08 PM in response to brrlx

Hi Brrix. I have a macbook pro. I have same problem. iphoto disappeared from bottom of my screen but is still in the Applications folder. However when I try to open it from the app folder I am prevented. A message tells me I need the latest version of iphoto to open it. When I go to the Irish app store (home country) a message says the latest version is not available. Same story when I try to log on to UAE app store where I live. I have managed to transfer all photos in the iphoto library by logging onto the Photos app and getting some help from the local app store assistant in a local mall.

Still trying to find a solution to get fully functional iphoto app back. Let me know if you find solution. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2015 11:36 PM in response to michealdebarra

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library.

BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Greeting from Co. Clare

my iPhoto pictures are all gone after upgrade to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.