Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WARNING - Spam email that almost caught me

I know this isn't a question, but I didn't know where else to put this as I couldn't find an email address to send it to. However, I felt as though I couldn't just mark the email as junk and forget about it based on the fact that the moment I realised that it wasn't a legit Apple page was just before I pressed send.

If somebody can tell me a more appropriate place to post this, that would be very much appreciated.

This was the email:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

Your Apple ID was used to buy a iOS Game "Lifeline..." from the App Store on a computer or device that had not previously been associated with your Apple ID.

Order total: 2.29 GBP

If you initiated this download, you can disregard this email. It was only sent to alert you in case you did not initiate the download yourself.

If you have not authorize this charge, log in as soon as possible to cancel the payment!

When the payment will be canceled you will get a full refund.

-------14d0accbf8b_14312--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------

'Log in' was linked to a page that requested your billing information.

Somehow this wasn't marked as junk mail and all I was paying attention to was the fact that somebody had logged into my Apple ID and I wanted that 2.29 back before going to my Apple ID to change my password.

I could not believe how close I was to sending my bank details, which is why I wanted to warn others.

Posted on May 4, 2015 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 4:23 AM

If you still have it you can forward the mail

http://www.apple.com/legal/more-resources/phishing/

reportphishing@apple.com

Unfortunately these scams are very frequent. A good rule of thumb with Apple, they will rarely if ever initiate contact with you. And they don't ask for your billing out of the blue. Customers usually have to start something with them, then they respond.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 4:23 AM in response to SaucySloth

If you still have it you can forward the mail

http://www.apple.com/legal/more-resources/phishing/

reportphishing@apple.com

Unfortunately these scams are very frequent. A good rule of thumb with Apple, they will rarely if ever initiate contact with you. And they don't ask for your billing out of the blue. Customers usually have to start something with them, then they respond.

May 4, 2015 8:58 PM in response to seventy one

This is as good a place as any to point out the way these scam artists operate.

Turned on my Mac Pro a few minutes ago and I got the following "Pop-up" message.

" Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iCloud on a new iPhone. " ( my iPhone 6 is about 8 months old. )

" If you recently signed into "xxxxx iPhone" you can ignore this notification."

On the bottom of this pop-up window is an "OK" button. Well it's NOT "OK" what should I do?

I have made no changes to my iPhone 6. Just normal use today. In my iPhone, iCloud settings, everything is turned off except sharing Contacts and Find my iPhone.

Any ideas why I received this message on my Mac today ?

May 5, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Ziatron

This sounds consistent with "Continuity" feature - here's an exact duplicate of your issue that senior leveler here in ASC responds > "Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iCloud on a new iPhone" Message?

Google results in other sites seem to support it being in some way legit, but also recommend common sense approach > Apple ID: Contacting Apple for help with Apple ID account security

ÇÇÇ

WARNING - Spam email that almost caught me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.