Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound Files Won't Copy Over to FCPX

Hello,

I have 2 drives (a and b). I have copied my library, projects and all of my original media from drive a to drive b. Everything is perfect except for my sync sound/ off camera sound is not showing up in FCPX when I open my library from drive b. I can see all of the clips in FCPX, but there is just no sound. Can somebody please advise me on this?

Thank you,

Trey

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 9:36 AM

Do you see the clip in the library? Does it appear to play but without sound, or does it show as offline? You may just have to relink.

28 replies

May 4, 2015 12:30 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes I do see the clip in the library and it is playing without sound. I wonder what happened. I thought I could just copy from one drive to another and everything would be in tact. I've relinked in the past before, but it's been very tedious for me because I've had to do one clip at a time. Thanks for getting back Luis! Please let me know if you have any more thoughts on this one.

Trey

May 4, 2015 1:21 PM in response to entrevon

Relinking does not have to be done one clip at a time. FCP X is very clever, so much so that you can usually just select the top level of the drive and it will relink everything for you.

Relinking may work, or not. You may also want to delete the render files, as they may have become corrupt.

Also, when you say it plays without sound, is that in the browser, the timeline or both?

What do you see in the inspector? And the waveforms?

May 5, 2015 1:25 AM in response to entrevon

To delete render files, select the library (or project or event) and go to File->Delete Generated Library Files (the wording changes according to your selection).

Can you post a screenshot showing one of those clips as it appears in the browser and the Inspector? You say you are not getting anything in the Inspector: select one problematic clip in the browser and show us exactly what you seen in the Inspector audio pane.

May 5, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Russ H

Hey Russ,

Here's a screen shot of what I dragged from one drive to the other. I did not go any deeper than what you see here. I simply highlighted the "22" folder and then dragged it over to my other drive. All of my sound was synced inside of FCPX using synchronize feature that comes built into FCPX. I did not use any other software like Plural Eyes or anything else.

Thank you!

Trey

User uploaded file

May 6, 2015 8:46 AM in response to entrevon

entrevon wrote:

Luis,

I see found the "delete generated files". Before going through with this, may I ask what the effects of this will be on my projects?

The key word is "Generated" - these can always be regenerated. These include render files, proxy mediaand optimized media. You can check just the render files. This will NOT touch your media.

May 6, 2015 10:12 AM in response to entrevon

I am not sure that relinking would work. Relinking usually is needed if FCP X cannot find some files, or is pointing at a different version than what you want.

Are the sound files in there? Do they play in the Finder?

Relinking - in theory - be a matter of choosing File->Relink Files..., then selecting "All" and pointing to this 22 folder (assuming all files live in subfolders of this one). But before trying this it is useful to take one of these in the browser and choose "Reveal in Finder" to see where FCP X is looking for it. If it is looking in the wrong drive, then relinking is the way to go.

May 6, 2015 3:23 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

When I reveal in finder they are showing up in a subfolder labeled original media that is under my actual project. Their is nothing to play. I'm not sure why they are there (first picture) because I'd like for them to be here (second picture).

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

If I plug my original drive back in and open FCPX everything is ok, but as soon as I eject my original drive all of my sync sound files are gone. Again, I copied everything including my project files, library and original media from one drive to another, so I'm hoping to figure out why my sync sound is no longer available inside of my FCPX library.

Thanks for your patience on this Luis,

Trey

Sound Files Won't Copy Over to FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.