Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Under iOS 8.3 with iPhone 6, GPS now works perfectly across all apps in Airplane Mode even with Wifi and Bluetooth turned off. Is this a new feature?

Beginning with the iOS update to 8.3, my iPhone 6 GPS now works in Airplane Mode.

This is a huge new feature, but the lack of documentation makes me wonder if it is a glitch or something done on purpose?

By allowing the GPS radio to work in Airplane Mode, those of us who use the phone as a GPS device when hiking, biking, etc. in areas with little or no cell reception, can save battery by enabling Airplane Mode, while continuing to use GPS.

I realized this in the bottom of the Grand Canyon last week. There is no service, no wifi, no bluetooth ... nothing down there. My phone was in Airplane Mode, and all the photos I took were correctly geocoded. So the built-in Photos app used Location Services (in this case ONLY GPS) to correctly geocode my photos.

I tested it again with third-party map apps over the weekend and Location Services locates me correctly on cached maps and correctly recorded a GPS track while hiking for over 6 hours in airplane mode in a no-service area.

This experience is contrary to everything I have read about how iOS handles GPS and Airplane Mode ... as well as many reports that the GPS chip is actually part of the cellular chip which would make it impossible to activate when in Airplane Mode.

Please tell me this is a new feature! It has been my biggest complaint on iOS vs other devices which have no problem running GPS apps in Airplane Mode!

Posted on May 4, 2015 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2015 11:36 PM

I just noticed the same thing. GPS seems to always be on even in airplane mode now.

10 replies

Jun 30, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Community User

It's a logical change to airplane mode since GPS doesn't transmit - it's only a receiver.

A mini-education:

GPS signals are separate from and completely unrelated to both the Internet and the cellular telephone network. GPS signals come directly from the GPS satellites. They provide signals that allow GPS receivers to calculate latitude and longitude information. Map software then takes that latitude/longitude info and converts it to land mass, roads, bridges, highways, buildings, etc. Navigation software is "map software on steroids." It goes one step further in that it provides real-time directions to enable you to reach a desired destination.

Most navigation software stores the maps right in the iPad/iPod/iPhone but a disadvantage is that the maps must be periodically updated (perhaps once/year). The Internet is not required to use the system but it is required to update the maps.

Some navigation software gets the maps from the Internet and requires an Internet connection to function but an advantage is that the maps are always up-to-date.

The WiFi+3G/4G iPad and the iPhone both have a GPS receiver. The WiFi-only iPad and the iPod do not and these devices require an accessory.

Under iOS 8.3 with iPhone 6, GPS now works perfectly across all apps in Airplane Mode even with Wifi and Bluetooth turned off. Is this a new feature?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.