Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume locked in MacBook Air

I have a MacBook Air 4GB. OS X Yosemite is installed.

The volume appears to be locked. When I press the volume keys, all i see is the speaker icon with a cross underneath. It won't let me adjust it in the toolbar. In settings > sound, there is no input or output devices found, nor will it let me adjust the output volume from there.

I tried restarting the computer in safe mode, resetting the SMC, force quitting the coreaudiod, plugging in headphone/usb speakers, and nothing has worked.

Please help. This is really annoying.

User uploaded file

^ screenshot of what the volume key does

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 5, 2015 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2017 1:53 AM

I had the same problem. I resolved it as following:

• Go to System Preferences -> Sound -> Output. There should be item 'Internal Speakers (type: Built-in)' selected. In my case, 'Internal Speakers' were not present, rather there was 'Digital Out' selected and below message 'Volume cannot be controlled'.
  • I plugged in headphones. The selected device changed to 'Headphones'.
  • Unplugged the headphones. 'Internal Speakers' now appeared and were automatically selected. The volume control started to work.

Another thread on this topic: Volume Locked

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2017 1:53 AM in response to ArientheSun

I had the same problem. I resolved it as following:

• Go to System Preferences -> Sound -> Output. There should be item 'Internal Speakers (type: Built-in)' selected. In my case, 'Internal Speakers' were not present, rather there was 'Digital Out' selected and below message 'Volume cannot be controlled'.
  • I plugged in headphones. The selected device changed to 'Headphones'.
  • Unplugged the headphones. 'Internal Speakers' now appeared and were automatically selected. The volume control started to work.

Another thread on this topic: Volume Locked

Volume locked in MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.