Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After downloading Yosemite, my iPhoto now has a grey cross over it, but AppStore says iPhoto is not available for download in New Zealand. When will iPhoto be available again?

After downloading Yosemite, my iPhoto now has a grey cross over it, but AppStore says iPhoto is not available for download in New Zealand. When will iPhoto be available again?

Posted on May 5, 2015 8:23 PM

30 replies

Aug 1, 2015 11:57 PM in response to imrefromauckland

imrefromauckland wrote:

I also experienced this issue but discovered iPhoto has been replaced by an app called Photos..one has to activate it and all your photos/albums and movies will reappear...

No

iPhotos was not replaced at all - it is still in your application folder and works just fine

Photos was added and you can use it or 9.6.1 iphoto or Aperture 3.6

LN

Aug 2, 2015 3:15 AM in response to LarryHN

OK maybe iPhoto not replaced by Photos; but as I stated the function of iPhoto is now performed by my activated Photos app.....sure iPhoto app is in applications but it has the grey bar through it and cannot be opened or upgraded through the app store...I read somewhere that Apple has phased out iPhoto with the Yosemite operating system; in fact when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Maverick I had to BUY an upgrade for i Photo for it to function...I am at the stage where I don't think i will upgrade again....also I had issues with my printer/scanner when I went to mavericks ..haven't used them yet in Yosemite.....

Aug 2, 2015 3:32 AM in response to imrefromauckland

but as I stated the function of iPhoto is now performed by my activated Photos app.

It's not. Photos has a set of features and tools, iPhoto has a different set of both. There is some overlap, but significant differences too.

sure iPhoto app is in applications but it has the grey bar through it and cannot be opened or upgraded through the app store.

This is incorrect. If you have v9 of iPhoto (That’s iPhoto 11) then it certainly can be updated.

I read somewhere that Apple has phased out iPhoto with the Yosemite operating system

They didn't. The have stopped developing it, but it still runs exactly like to always did.

in fact when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Maverick I had to BUY an upgrade for i Photo for it to function

Then you must have had a very old version of iPhoto indeed.

I am at the stage where I don't think i will upgrade again....also I had issues with my printer/scanner when I went to mavericks ..haven't used them yet in Yosemite.....

Anytime you upgrade the OS there are always going to be necessary updates to apps running on it. In the case of scanners and printers it's usually just an update to the drivers. These are made by the people who make these devices, so best contact them for updates.

Aug 3, 2015 4:10 AM in response to petermac87

>OSX is Apple's system, not yours. There was no change to iPhotos in 10.9.5 Photos was only introduced in 10.10.4

Are you kidding me? I am the user. Do you really think Apple is legally allowed to invalidate an application on my system?

It is the only application that I can(could) use to access my photos. On 10.9.5 that is.

I tried to get a new copy of iPhoto, but it is not in the AppStore, iMovie is still there.

The problem may be caused by the fact the I made a test system, on a removable disk, of 10.10.

It is always wise to test the application you use before switching. I can't switch now.

Aug 3, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Klaas.

When a company sells you a software licence it's as is - to run this version of the software on this particular version of the OS.

So, if you upgrade the OS then there is no commitment one the vendor's part to also upgrade the app for free. That's bog standard in every software licence you've every bought.

So Apple didn't "invalidate" an app on your system, and if you've not upgraded the system then the app still runs.

That said, Apple set up their OS so that versions of iPhoto going back to 2006 still run - though they may need a free update.

In one of your posts you say that iPhoto was "removed" from your system. There is no way for Apple to do that, even if they wanted to. (And the don't). So something has gone wrong, a glitch of some kind.

How did you upgrade to 10.9.5? From what version of the OS did you upgrade?

Aug 3, 2015 7:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

I worked for the largest software company for more than 25 years. That said the latest action

by Apple baffles me. After the last 10.9.5 software upgrade, I just keep my system updated.

the iPhoto icon was replaced by a "NOGO" icon and so unusable.

In the AppStore I can't get iPhoto, even if I wanted to pay for it.

Result: I cannot access my photos, some 9000-10000, all nicely organised with location

etc.

To summarize, it appears Apple could and did make my application unavailable!

It is pretty unnerving to find out this fact.

And it appears I am not the only victim, read the initial msg in this thread.

Aug 3, 2015 11:54 AM in response to Klaas.

Klaas. wrote:

I worked for the largest software company for more than 25 years. That said the latest action

by Apple baffles me. After the last 10.9.5 software upgrade, I just keep my system updated.

In the AppStore I can't get iPhoto, even if I wanted to pay for it.

Result: I cannot access my photos, some 9000-10000, all nicely organised with location

etc.

To summarize, it appears Apple could and did make my application unavailable!

It is pretty unnerving to find out this fact.

And it appears I am not the only victim, read the initial msg in this thread.

Working for the largest Software Company, you should have been aware of the importance of keeping your software up to date. Those who did didn't become 'victims'.

Good Luck

Pete

Aug 3, 2015 12:07 PM in response to petermac87

BEing aware of keeping my software up to date. -- that is exactly what I did, using Software Update dor system.

THat system is a 10.9 Apple supported system, which had a working iPhoto application just before the update until someone at Apple decided that they could invalidate my application and as such make my photos una ailable.

YEah and I installed lots of software but you can't protect yourself from things like this, at least not now anymore.

PEter, please don't reply unless you have a solution.

Aug 3, 2015 12:09 PM in response to Klaas.

For a guy who worked at "the largest software company for more than 25 years" you seem remarkably incapable of offering any information that would allow someone to help you.

So, did you try update the application, and if so, how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.