Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GHOSTING PROBLEM ON MBP RETINA DISPLAY

Dear Friend who reads this,

I am a 37 year old graphic designer from Istanbul. I’ve been a Mac fan and various Mac computers owner for nearly 15 years now. I’m using Apple iPhones, iPads, and all sorts of Apple accessories related to these equipments.

At the moment I’m using a Macbook Pro Retina Display (2,6 ghz) with an Apple Cinema Display (27”) and all other necessary equipments such as mouse and keyboard which are also Apple items. Which cost serious amount of money for me to afford. In short I’m an Apple supporter and a fan even the product prices are above my budgets. I want to believe these products deserve every dime spent.

However I’m experiencing a technical issue which makes me rethink about my desicions on spending money on Apple labeled products. My Macbook Pro retina display has ghosting problem and the Retail store wants to charge money to recover the screen of the laptop which is actually “A FLAW” for sure. I have to remind that my warranty period is over by 4 months.

Now I have done a lot of reading from Internet and I know that this is a manufacturing issue of LG screens that are used in Macbook Pro Retina Displays. Samsung screens did not have this problem. So it was a %50 matter of luck, and I was unlucky about it.

I had serious health issues and couldn’t do the necessary visit to the technical service on time, and now cannot afford an extra nearly $1000 for a product I already payed thousands of dollars for. I think this would be very very unfair to do so.

I called the apple support phone number, visited the retail store, and they all told me "because my product is out of warranty period I have to pay more money to get my screen fixed" which is obviously not a user error but an manufacturing error.

My Macbook Retina Display’s serial number is this: C02JJ0P7DKQ2

I’m deeply willing to hear some other solution then paying to replace the screen of my laptop. Because it is very important for me that my favourite brand on this world should not leave me on my own about an error it’s manufacturer did.

Please help, looking forward to hear good news from you.

Best regards,

Murat Kulacoglu

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on May 9, 2015 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2015 5:32 AM

You're not alone. Check out My Retina Display has stain damage, HELP!!!. Anyway, I did go to ebay and purchased a screen replacement for $270. The instructions on ifixit.com were very good. I think at the moment, this will be your cheapest solution. If you're handy with repairs, you should be able to do it and save some money. It's a shame that Apple is treating its customers like this. I'm with you in that I won't spend my money on another Apple product again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2015 5:32 AM in response to Mental Creative Works

You're not alone. Check out My Retina Display has stain damage, HELP!!!. Anyway, I did go to ebay and purchased a screen replacement for $270. The instructions on ifixit.com were very good. I think at the moment, this will be your cheapest solution. If you're handy with repairs, you should be able to do it and save some money. It's a shame that Apple is treating its customers like this. I'm with you in that I won't spend my money on another Apple product again.

May 9, 2015 5:33 AM in response to epvaldo

"It's a shame that Apple is treating its customers like this. I'm with you in that I won't spend my money on another Apple product again."

Exactly my friend. This is definitely a production mistake and Apple should stop behaving as if they're not aware of this fact and do what is necessary. In this case, they should change the displays free of charge. This is not our mistake, it is their manufacturer's mistake. Why would we pay another thousand just to replace their flawed display? This is UNFAIR!

Aug 3, 2015 8:05 PM in response to Mental Creative Works

My MBP is not used that often, and NEVER leaves my house. I baby this thing because it cost well over $2000.00 and I am pretty frustrated that Apple wants me to pay another $400-$500 to fix this LG display that was CLEARLY a manufacturer defect. I have many Apple products and always support them with my business and by referring their products, which makes this even more frustrating. I will not purchase another Apple product until my MBP screen is replaced free of charge.

GHOSTING PROBLEM ON MBP RETINA DISPLAY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.