Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Names for a group of cells in Numbers

I have a list that when selected uses the content to define another list.

The first list is in cell B3 and the next list is defined by the following functions in cell B5 = INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(B3," ", "")

The text in B3 (Fruit) is the same as the names (group Fruit) in cell H2:H5 i.e H2 = Apples, H3 = Oranges, H4 = Plums & H5 = Grapes; then list in cell B5 will be list Fruit.

Hope this explained is clear.

Thanks in anticipation.

GeorgemcS

iPad, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 11, 2015 2:14 PM

17 replies

May 12, 2015 6:43 AM in response to GeorgemcS

Named ranges are not used in Numbers, What you have above would work in excel if the ranges for Apple, Oranges etc... were assigned names in the named range manager or through one of the shortcuts.

Since you apparently know how to use the Indirect function, You could reproduce the Concept by making a named range table, doing a vlookup of the name in the first column (using the substitute you already have as the key), to pull back the range (in text) from the next column. Which the indirect will interpret as a proper range.

Jason

May 12, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Csound1

Named ranges are available in excel, but are very rarely used by 99% of the users. I support them directly, and taught corporate level for years. Of all the spreadsheets i support now or have assisted with only the most advaned users use them, and then they usually have to undo it, becuase their typical user cant figure it out. (i dont know why, but they confuse many people who are used to being able to go look up a column Letter and row #).

What the op wants to do is workable, I learned how to make work arounds in excel over 20+ years of using it, then applied those lessons to Numbers when it was released. Its nice to remember how far excel has come since 1985.

-It took them til version 4 to figure out people might want more than one sheet to work from. 🙂

-Remove duplicates had to be done with equations and sorting, or using a pivot table, until version 2007 if I remember correctly.

Jason

May 12, 2015 8:07 AM in response to GeorgemcS

you can use indirect like this:

User uploaded file

I made a section in the table (shaded blue) that maps a name to a range

A4=SUM(INDIRECT(VLOOKUP("Range1", B7:C10, 2, 0)))

this is shorthand for... select cell A4, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=SUM(INDIRECT(VLOOKUP("Range1", B7:C10, 2, 0)))

I entered the data in cell B1 thru E2

A5=SUM(INDIRECT(VLOOKUP("Range2", B7:C10, 2, 0)))

Everything is in the same table for demonstration purposes.

May 12, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Csound1

"I use them all the time, they make life a lot simpler."

Welcome to the 1%. 🙂 And yes, they do (make life and formulas simpler). I wish more people would use them.

I used excel back when I was teaching coroprate to track the number of students that utilized the different functions (it was fairly easy since the companies bought backages that included all levels, and the lessons were broken into good segments). Then used that data as some example data for statistacal analysis training some students were asking for. So, yeah I can honestly verify you're in the 1%.

For the Common, normal user. Numbers can, and does, almost everything they need to do.

For those that need just that little bit more (the top 10% or so), we can normally help them find a work around.

When numbers first came out, I made a solution that reproduced the functionality of the Simple goal Seek dialog in excel. A co-worker last year come up and thank me because it helped them in a course they were taking. Feels good, they got to use the tool they wanted and felt more comfortable in, and got the solution they needed, and I unwittingly helped out.

Jason

May 12, 2015 8:45 AM in response to jaxjason

jaxjason wrote:

"I use them all the time, they make life a lot simpler."

For the Common, normal user. Numbers can, and does, almost everything they need to do.

For those that need just that little bit more (the top 10% or so), we can normally help them find a work around.

Except this user cannot do what she wants with Numbers, although she could with free alternatives to Numbers, so are you saying that she is in "the top 10% or so"

Have you considered entering Politics?

May 12, 2015 8:52 AM in response to jaxjason

jaxjason wrote:

Then how did Wayne solve it? with an example, of how it can be done in Numbers with a simple extra step.

Just to remind you the question was:

"Can I use Names for a group of cells in Numbers"

The answer is Yes, you can, and we demonstrated how to do it.

Thank you for your participation in the user groups

We?

Wayne actually provided a workaround for the missing function, I don't see where you provided a method, just an Excel history lesson.

Politics would suit you.

May 12, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Csound1

Cs,

This is a way to create a named range "feature" when it does not exist. If you are really moving things around often I would not use this method. I think one should use the tool best suited for the job. If this particular feature is the driving force then Numbers is NOT the tool.

If, however, the OP wants, or must use Numbers, this is an, imperfect, workaround.

Personally, I would not use this or named regions. I am not asking why the user wants to do something, I am providing the how given a what.

May 12, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Csound1

Friend, read the whole posting:

Since you apparently know how to use the Indirect function, You could reproduce the Concept by making a named range table, doing a vlookup of the name in the first column (using the substitute you already have as the key), to pull back the range (in text) from the next column. Which the indirect will interpret as a proper range.

(Exactly what Wayne did in picutres. (Thanks Wayne))

posted by:

jaxjason May 12, 2015 9:43 AM

About five minutes prior to you responding.

Have a great day sir, thanks for helping everyone out in the user groups,

Jason

May 12, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Wayne Contello wrote:

Cs,

This is a way to create a named range "feature" when it does not exist. If you are really moving things around often I would not use this method. I think one should use the tool best suited for the job. If this particular feature is the driving force then Numbers is NOT the tool.

If, however, the OP wants, or must use Numbers, this is an, imperfect, workaround.

Personally, I would not use this or named regions. I am not asking why the user wants to do something, I am providing the how given a what.

If you read my post a workaround is exactly what I called it.

But I do agree with you, Numbers is the wrong tool for this, but if the OP can accept an immovable named range then it will work after a fashion.

Can I use Names for a group of cells in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.