Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS keyboard shortcuts

Using a Bluetooth keyboard, what are the iOS keyboard shortcuts?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/keys-to-go-ipad

It says on the Logitech link that there are iOS keyboard shortcuts in the specifications for the keyboard, however there is no manual coming with the keyboard and I can't find a reference for the 'iOS keyboard shortcuts' nowhere.

Also, using apple's 'pages' app with the Logitech keys-to-go keyboard seems to disable the spelling correction

iOS 8.3

Posted on May 13, 2015 11:52 AM

17 replies

May 13, 2015 12:16 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

It did not answer my questions, i accidentally pressed a button saying it did, action which i cannot undo, nor can i delete the question that i marked as answered..

there were two questions, one was not answered at all, and the other, not to my satisfaction, it was a partial answer.

what is meant by 'iOS shortcuts'?

i was expecting something like this, but for iOS and not OSX:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

May 13, 2015 12:25 PM in response to charles.damboise

You were referring to the keyboard, and it was referring to shortcuts you would use on the keyboard to get the iOS device to do something. There are no real standard iOS shortcuts as far as Apple is concerned, they do not exist. With a touch keypad on the iOS device, it is not possible to press more than one key at a time. What was not answered to your satisfaction? You need to contact the keyboard manufacturer to get information about what shortcuts they are creating/providing and how to access them. As I provided in my original answer, I can use a special key or combination of keys to emulate the pressing of a particular key/button on my iOS device. There is a key for the home button, there is a key combination to make the device think I tapped to select and copy some content, etc. However, they are created by the keyboard manufacturer. That is also why I provided you with the link to the manual for my Logitech keyboard so you could see what I was referring to. As far as the keyboard disabling a function of the iOS device, you would have to question Logitech on that one as well, since it is a 3rd party device.

May 13, 2015 12:36 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

According to this:

http://www.macstories.net/tutorials/a-list-of-new-ios-7-keyboard-shortcuts/

the keyboard shortcuts are implemented at the software level in iOS/apps and work using any bluetooth keyboard.

i was just wondering if there was a up to date list for iOS 8

also i have no idea why the spelling correction stops woking when using the bluetooth keyboard in another langage. it will work in english but not in french.

May 13, 2015 12:40 PM in response to charles.damboise

No, it did not say any Bluetooth keyboard, it has to have been implemented by the app developer first, so even if they exist in iOS, if the app developer has not implemented them into their keyboard for the iOS device, then it wouldn't matter. Then, it would take an external keyboard to support it. So there has to be more than one thing going on for it to work. As far as a list, that would be at the developer level, since they would have to code that into their app. That is why the article you posted showed some of them, since a list does not exist at the user level. The app developer would have to provide the documentation for what shortcuts the will or will not support. And as you have unfortunately found out, the use of external keyboards can disable some features.

May 13, 2015 2:14 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

In the case of pages/keynote/numbers/mail/iOS it would be great if Apple provided a link to some shortcuts that could be helpfull with a bluetooth keyboard.

My point is that there are some shortcuts that do work, and i can't find a reference to them in the app's help section that could include a 'shortcut' section to help achieve better workflow with the apps.

May 13, 2015 2:19 PM in response to charles.damboise

Then provide feedback to Apple if you would like to see that, http://www.apple.com/feedbackand then click on the appropriate subject area. As far as 3rd party apps, you would have to deal with them about that. The keyboard question about the difference in spell check in English and French, might need to be addressed with the keyboard manufacturer.

May 13, 2015 2:53 PM in response to charles.damboise

what should be clear is that there are bluetooth keyboards that implement 'functions' (fn key) related to iOS operations (volume up, down etc) and there are command keys that are implemented by the OS and have nothing to do with being implemented by the keyboard or not...

so some shortcuts or buttons on a keyboard (bluetooth or not) can be implemented by it's manufacturer, while other are 'standard'. correct me if i'm wrong, but unless your computer's driver is messed up AND unless you connect a keyboard that sends the letter 'w' when you press the letter 'e', when you press the letter 'e' on a standard keyboard, the computer displays it no matter what brand of keyboard you are using...

and if a logitech or any brand keyboard manufacturer makes a button that does a special function, until the keyboard driver is installed, it will never work, but when you press a letter button, the default keyboard driver will display the letter you pressed..

my whole point is that if an app manufacturer makes the app do something when you press cmd-something, the keyboard manuf. does not need to do anything special... other than 'implement' a standard cmd key...

as far as the spell checking not working in apple's 'pages', i don't think it's a logitech keyboard issue.. as it does the same problem when bluetooth is off, using the iPad's screen keyboard.

May 13, 2015 2:58 PM in response to charles.damboise

I think we are both arguing the same thing here. I was referring to the fact that the keyboard manufacturer had to provide these additional keys, or in the case of my Bluetooth keyboard, they provide special keys to be used in combinations that emulate certain keystrokes on the iPad. I also agree, press an "e" get an "e". I never disputed that. I also agreed that if the app developer does as you say, then yes, it has to exist on the keyboard for it to work. That is not always the case. Either way, you may want to contact Apple support to ask them about the Pages spell check issue. I cannot answer that, or you can post another question just about the spell check in the Pages for iOS forum. Have a great day.

May 13, 2015 2:59 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Agree with you..

correct me if i'm wrong:

on a standard computer.. if a manufacturer makes a keyboad with, say, a built-in joystick.. and you connect it to the computer... the computer will try to find the driver for it, an if it doesn't, will install the default keyboard driver, thus enabling the keyboard to work, in a 'standard' way, however any special functions implemented by the keyboard manuf. (joystick, control buttons etc) will not work until the proprer driver is installed for the keyboard.

how does this work with iOS? Does a bluetooth device send it's driver software over bluetooth? How are those 'updated'?

iOS keyboard shortcuts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.