Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iPhone upload to my iCloud photo library, even though it's turned on in my setting and I have enough spare storage in iCloud?

I have iCloud Photo Library turned on, for both my iPhone 5s and Macbook Air.

The problem is that my iPhone will not upload photos to iCloud. I’ve included a screenshot of both the settings on my phone and another for my Macbook.

My iPhone says that it is uploading 3,164 items, however this number hasn’t change over the past 2 or 3 weeks. I’ve tried a number of things like, opening and closing the Photos app, having it closed, turning the iPhone off and on, reconnecting to wifi, reconnecting the charger. Nothing has worked. I have 180GB available of 200GB on iCloud. Can someone please help me?

I am running iOS 8.3 (iphone 5s) and OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (MacBook Air 13-inch, Early 2014), and Photos 1.0

User uploaded file

Here is a screenshot for my MacBook Air iCloud Photo library setting

User uploaded file

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 14, 2015 1:42 AM

24 replies

May 22, 2017 5:54 AM in response to Eric Root

I am having the same problem and tried signing out and then signing back in, but lost pretty much ALL of my pictures. Prior to signing out, it has been saying 'uploading 7,715 items' but wouldn't ever upload them. After signing out and back in, I have hardly ANY of my pics/videos on my phone and it now says 'uploading 1,391 items' but they still won't upload.... PLEASE help!!!! Starting to worry just a bit!!!

Aug 10, 2017 8:19 AM in response to amay022

I am having the same issue with my iPhone 6s Plus iOS 10.3.3! My iPhone told me it could no longer back-upload photos/videos to iCloud because my initial 5 GB iCloud storage was getting full. So I went ahead and bought the 50 GB storage at $.99 per month. But after buying more iCloud storage, my iPhone still will not resume uploading backup copies of my photos and videos to iCloud. I tried completely turning off the iPhone and then rebooting. No success. I then tried sliding off the iCloud Photo Library tab within setting in the hopes that this would re-trigger the sync process. No success. I don't know what to do and am getting very frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 11, 2017 2:52 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your response.

I don't know how to "sign out of iCloud and then sign back in."

I am on vacation in France and taking a lot of photos and videos with my iPhone 6s Plus. A few days ago a message came up telling me my iCound photo library was getting full and would stop uploading unless I got more space. I went onto my MacBook and bought more iCloud storage. But the iCloud Photo Library did not resume the uploading backup process and, when I went into settings it told me there were 17 item that were not being backed up. I went the Apple support thread and followed the advice of the original postings. I turned off the iPhone and rebooted. That made no difference. I then tried sliding the green button to "off" corresponding to iCloud Photo Library. When I slid the green tab back on, the text immediately underneath said: "uploading 599 items " I waited overnight and the message did not change and no recent photos or video has been uploaded into iCloud Photo Library. I have taken a bunch more photos and videos and now the settings message says: "uploading 677 items. " But still the iCloud Photo Library backup process is not uploading. Last night I plugged my iPhone in to the charging cable, I made sure wifi was on, but nothing changed overnight. The settings message still says uploading 677 items and no new photos or videos have been added to the iclound photo library as viewed on my MacBook.

I am willing to try signing out of iCloud and signing back on if I can find out how to do it and am assured I would lose any of my photos or videos on my iPhone.

Thanks.

May 14, 2015 1:59 AM in response to amay022

Sorry, I couldn't upload screenshots, here are my setting.

iPhone > Settings > iCloud > Photos

iCloud Photo Library : On

Optimize iPhone Storage : Selected

Upload to my Photo Stream

Macbook > Photos > Preferences >iCloud>

iCloud Photo Library : On

Optimize Mac Storage : Selected

My Photo Stream : On

iCloud Photo Sharing : On

User uploaded file

May 25, 2015 10:34 AM in response to amay022

I too have had many upload and synch issues between iPads and the iCloud library, and also have plenty of paid for unused space. Often the synchronizaton process appears to get stuck on iOS devices, and Apple support staff at the iCloud online desk never have a clear answer for why or for what to do.

One action I was walked through was to sign out of iCloud services (at the bottom of iCloud settings) being careful to keep your data, wait a bit, and then sign back in to iCloud services. This wakes up the library synchronization. And for me it kicked off days of re-sync'ing, with 40,000+ photos.

I have found that simply turning off or rebooting the iOS device will usually wake up the sync activity, and seems as effective as recycling the iCloud service settings.

However, after weeks now, 2months maybe, I still have a couple of devices that appear to be fully synchronized, and keep synchronized when I edit or delete photos, yet still show 200-sh photos to upload, and are just stuck there, never changing.

Fortunately my Mac, once it was done clogging the network with uploads, seems to have no sync problems. I did opt to keep a full copy of all photos on the Mac (Optimize Mac Storage: no). Even though my internet connection and wifi are pretty fast, iCloud is often slow (or stalled) to offer up photos to iOS devices. Seems like there are various performance issues. So keeping a local copy on the Mac has helped me keep reasonable photo editing performance.

Best of luck to you. I hope the iCloud library settles into a more reliable and performant service; the idea of it is great.

Jun 2, 2015 10:32 AM in response to amay022

I am having the same issue. Did you happen to experience the issue after saving a photo to your library from a third party app like pro cam or Photogrid after editing or creating a new photo? That seems to be the common thread both times this has happened to me. Resolved it the first time by deleting that photo (also from the Recently Deleted album). But that doesn't seem to be working this time.

Why won't my iPhone upload to my iCloud photo library, even though it's turned on in my setting and I have enough spare storage in iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.