Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why cant you rename "events" or minimize them? Where is the organization.

Spending so much time going through all your pictures without being able to minimize or organize the events like you could in iPhoto makes me want to never this app and switch to lightroom which allows more control.

I cant find a way to get back to iPhoto either to export my photos with all the organization I had so all that work is just gone? Help Please. Why does apple do this to us, they force software on us before its ready and not allow us to access our old apps? Do you know how much time this can cost people.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 15, 2015 12:26 PM

8 replies

May 15, 2015 1:14 PM in response to AudaciousB

I do agree that Events was easier to manage than the new system. You can, however, use Photos to create folders and albums within the folders and organise your photos that way. It's just not automatic, like Events were.

You should be able to get back to iPhoto. It should still be on your computer, under Applications. If not, you can go to the "App Store", go to "My Purchases" and download it again. Mind you, if you download it again, you'd have to assume all your work is long gone (unless you've been using Time Machine). It is unlikely you have actually lost it, though, unless you actually deleted it.

May 15, 2015 2:24 PM in response to AudaciousB

Maybe if you simply ask for help rather than get paranoid life would be easier

Going back to iPhoto is trivial (it does have to be unto date version 9.6.1 - simply launch it (it is in your application folder) - if you did not stay up to date and do not see 9.6.1 available drag the iphoto application to the trash (n=do not empty yet) and then go to the Ap store to Purchases - 9.6.1 should be available

And the following post is not correct

Mind you, if you download it again, you'd have to assume all your work is long gone (unless you've been using Time Machine).

While you must certainly must always have a good backup downloading iPhoto has no effect on your photos as they are stored in the iphoto library not in the application so no matter what you photos are safe unless you delete the iPhoto library with no backup

LN

May 15, 2015 2:18 PM in response to AudaciousB

There are no Events in Photos. Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

May 17, 2015 4:54 PM in response to LarryHN

I went into the mac store and worked with a genius, they were no help and said they had not been trained in the new software before it was released. So id hardly call this paranoid. I appreciate your response though this didn't really solve the problem at all, just pointed fingers at me being paranoid and only reiterated that i am stuck with this new software. I don't mind upgrading eventually to this in theory but not before the bugs are worked out. Id like to move to light room but cant export my photos the way iPhoto could unless I'm missing something.

May 17, 2015 5:02 PM in response to AudaciousB

I gave you the exact answer

Going back to iPhoto is trivial (it does have to be up to date - version 9.6.1 - simply launch it (it is in your application folder) - if you did not stay up to date and do not see 9.6.1 available drag the iphoto application to the trash (n=do not empty yet) and then go to the Ap store to Purchases - 9.6.1 should be available

And sorry that the Genius is not trained in Photos - unfortunately they are untrained in lots of things - st least the one you to was honest - often the are not trained and act anyway creating major messes and even costing people their entire photos library due to their lack of training - I can not do anything about that

I gave you the answer - you choose to ignore it and o to the Apple store and get what they often have - untrained personal

Have a nice day

LN

May 18, 2015 1:08 PM in response to LarryHN

I apologize for not stating this more clearly. I didn't ignore your response, it just didn't work unfortunately on my machine, and didn't really address the full question of how to create organization on the new photos app. I will try again though as well. but I have done what you said in addition iPhoto has still always been on the machine it just won't open anymore.

May 18, 2015 4:20 PM in response to AudaciousB

iPhoto has still always been on the machine it just won't open anymore.

Try the procedure posted by Terence Devlin in this post:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

May 18, 2015 11:21 PM in response to LarryHN

"

While you must certainly must always have a good backup downloading iPhoto has no effect on your photos as they are stored in the iphoto library not in the application so no matter what you photos are safe unless you delete the iPhoto library with no backup

"

Sorry about my mistake. I forgot that iPhoto actually makes a separate image file when you do an edit and, of course, that is still in the Library as you say (along with your original file). Other software stores your edits in a different way but iPhoto is quite "safe" like this.

why cant you rename "events" or minimize them? Where is the organization.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.