Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Items can't be copied because you don't have permission to read them

I have a Lacie Rikiki external hard drive connected as a NAS on my Netgear DGND3700 router. I am able to copy from the hard drive to my MacBook but not the other way round.

When I try to copy to the hard drive I get the message "one or more items can't be copied to (folder on LaCie) because you don't have permission to read them. Do you want to copy the items you are allowed to read?" There are "Stop" & "Continue" buttons. Nothing happens regardless of which button I click.

I have disconnected the drive from the network and connected it via USB to my MacBook and checked the Info window to look under "Shared" and untick the "Ignore Permissions on this Drive" box. But there are no options under Sharing and Permissions. It just says "You can read and write" as shown below.

User uploaded file

I have reformatted the drive and this has not had any effect and the issue remains that same.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on May 17, 2015 9:46 AM

6 replies

May 17, 2015 1:22 PM in response to derekgray

How did you try to clone with CCC? Did you mount the disk via USB or did you mount it via the NAS? You were inside an admin account?

The NAS will have it's own sharing permissions that are controlled in it's own software, that may cause issues that don't occur when the disk is mounted via USB.

I wonder if the issue is that you have folders within the destination disk that cannot be read, if you are merging many files & folders you will need to have read & write access to all items. Have you tried copying subset of the files into a new folder on the disk?

Sorry the 'read error' suggests the issue is in the source, which should allow CCC to read those items with admin access, very odd.

May 17, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Drew Reece

I used my account to logon (this is an admin account). The disk was mounted via NAS. I can copy no problem when connected via USB and can transfer files to the disk. The NAS sharing permissions are set to allow all with no passwords

User uploaded file

I am using the disc as music storage at the moment to provide music for my Sonos system and would like to copy the music from my MacBook without having to connect the disk via USB when I get new music. I would like to have it also containing movies etc and use it as a media storage.

I have tried creating a new folder on the disk when it is connected via NAS and I get the error message "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission"

I am able to copy from the disk to my MacBook and the Sonos can read from it. When I add new music and update the Sonos music library it updates OK.

Items can't be copied because you don't have permission to read them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.