Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto and Photos

After installing an update of Yoshemite a couple of months ago, I discovered that my iPhoto was missing. Having recovered it, I see that a lot of photos go into the Photo programme, instead of going into iPhoto. I was still making books (projects) into iPhoto. Is that still working or do I have to switch to Photos altogether?

Thanks for helping me out.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 19, 2015 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2015 10:22 AM

If you're using My Photo Stream to automatically import photos taken with your iPhone go into Photos' iCloud preference pane and uncheck ALL checkboxes.

Launch iPhoto and in its iCloud preference pane make sure the three checkboxes are checked as shown in this screenshot: User uploaded file

For the photos that were imported into Photos you'll have to export the original files to the Desktop and import them into your iPhoto library.

The above assumes that you're current version of iPhoto is still working. Is it?

User uploaded file

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2015 10:22 AM in response to marjafromloèche-les-bains

If you're using My Photo Stream to automatically import photos taken with your iPhone go into Photos' iCloud preference pane and uncheck ALL checkboxes.

Launch iPhoto and in its iCloud preference pane make sure the three checkboxes are checked as shown in this screenshot: User uploaded file

For the photos that were imported into Photos you'll have to export the original files to the Desktop and import them into your iPhoto library.

The above assumes that you're current version of iPhoto is still working. Is it?

User uploaded file

May 20, 2015 9:34 AM in response to marjafromloèche-les-bains

Something happened when I added by signature image. The screenshot I was trying to post is this:

User uploaded file

showing the three checkboxes.

Now sure what you mean by the iPhoto folder. There is no iPhoto folder. There's an iPhoto library package in the Pictures folder and an iPhoto Application in the Applications folder. Not sure why the Applications folder is not showing. Are you able to open any apps? If you can then the apps are still on the hard drive in the Applicataions folder but it's hidden somehow.

Download and run Find Any File to search Name equals Application and is a Folder. This will find every folder on the hard drive that is named Application. The results will look like this:

User uploaded file

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages. It will show you if that Application folder is on you hard drive and where. If it's still invisible it might mean you'll need to:

1 - Boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down), select Disk Utility and repair both the disk permissions and the disk.

2 - Boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down) and reinstall the system.

Jun 3, 2015 3:09 AM in response to Old Toad

I saw somewhere your signature image, but can't find it anymore. Can you repost it?

There is an iPhoto folder where I organise my photo's and from which I order photo albums. I have a question about that too.

The albums I was working on do not seem to exist in Photo (e.g. the ringban type is not there), but I'm ready to order from iPhoto. Is that still possible?

Thanks

Jun 3, 2015 9:08 AM in response to marjafromloèche-les-bains

I saw somewhere your signature image,

Don't know what you're referring to.

The albums I was working on do not seem to exist in Photo (e.g. the ringban type is not there), but I'm ready to order from iPhoto. Is that still possible?

Again, don't know what you're referring to. Are you referring to books? If so they're called books, not albums. The wire-bound books are not available in Photos. The following are the options available now:

User uploaded file

You can still use iPhoto and order the wire-bound books. iPhoto was not deleted from your hard drive, only removed from the Dock. If you have iPhoto 9.6.1 you can still use your iPhoto library. If you don't have that version but some earlier version of 9.x try following Terence Devlin's iinstructions in this post to obtain iPhoto 9.6.1 from the App Store:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

iPhoto and Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.