Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone else HATE the new Photos "upgrade"?

Photos has made a huge MESS of my pictures & I literally want to scream. It changed the dates on a lot of my pictures and now I can't even find the new ones after I upload them. I don't have time to sit at my computer and work out Apples bugs. ARRGHHHH!!!!! Anyone have a good non-Apple program that they have switched to? I am SO ready...

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 19, 2015 12:01 PM

206 replies

Jul 20, 2017 3:28 PM in response to LACAllen

Actually the Apple preview - macOS High Sierra Preview - Apple - has a lot to say about Photo 3.0 and based on the information Apple has released for public distribution I agree with Miguel - HS continues the rapid enhancement of Photos and since Photos 2.0 is much better than iPhoto 9.6.1 with the announced enhancements Photos 3.0 will be even more better (the next set beyond much beyond much better)

LN

Jul 21, 2017 10:52 AM in response to Richard Furno

Photos is a free consumer application and is not intended as an aperture replacement - although many people have found that it is an acceptable replacement and with the new announced features in High Sierra it will get even closer

As to your (eleven year behind) complaint about the change from camera rolls to events you really need to be a bit more flexible - Camera rolls and events and Moments/collections/years are all different and if you read these forums many people have major issues with the change form camera rolls to events (although yours is the first I've seen in many, many years) and the same inflexible people have the same major issue with the switch from events to Moments/collections/years - Photos is totally optional so it you do not like it choose some software you do like - or tell Apple your thoughts - Product Feedback - Apple

As to All Photos it works exactly as documented - no where does it state that All Photos is sorted by Photos date - it is documented and works as documented to sort by the date added to Photos - import date - which is a critically important sort to have and All Photos is the only place it is available

And although your opinion is not this, Photos is far superior to iPhoto in every way and most people see that - it is different and requires learning as all new software does and new work flows but a giant leap forward

LN

Jul 21, 2017 1:59 AM in response to MarkThai

Photos is certainly getting better, but still a far cry from Aperture. You will notice it, when your library gets larger. No good support for batch processing metadata, or batch editing, no editing brushes for dodge and burn, no list view for meta data, or the ability to compare photos side by, and the stark white background is very unprofessional. We cannot even use metadata we have assigned to our photos when we want to use them in books or a slideshow. We have to copy and paste the titles and dates manually from the Info panel when we want to show the titles in a slide show or on a page in a book.

What I love about Photos are the photo editing extensions and the iCloud integration. and some of the editing tools are now better than in iPhoto. I am also using the moments and collections a lot.

Jul 21, 2017 4:42 AM in response to léonie

I have stated that I am not a professional photo user.

I had and was happy with iPhoto and Aperture, iPhoto was a good library App and Aperture was good for my small editions. Aperture was a professional software, which to really get it on the way, we would need to buy Add-ins to do the pro jobs. I never bought one, I never used probably more than 5% of its capacities.

Photo 3.0, part of the High Sierra public beta, covers me all the duties I need to do with Photos in general. Very good library (already in 2.0) and now the editions capabilities are perfect, again for what I need.

about using betas softwares from Apple, I am pretty sastisfied and to use it safetly it is enough to follow the advices from Apple. The actual public beta 2, it is already my main MacOS system in my MacBook Pro 2011

Jul 21, 2017 6:37 AM in response to miguel_forum

have stated that I am not a professional photo user.

Yes you did, but your comment was not about you, but about the applications. Photos is a good, free app with a very unattractive interface. It's nowhere near as powerful as Aperture.

I am pretty sastisfied and to use it safetly it is enough to follow the advices from Apple. The actual public beta 2, it is already my main MacOS system in my MacBook Pro 2011

Then you're not following the advice from Apple, who do not recommend installing betas on critical systems.

Jul 21, 2017 8:34 AM in response to miguel_forum

I am pretty sastisfied and to use it safetly it is enough to follow the advices from Apple. The actual public beta 2, it is already my main MacOS system in my MacBook Pro 2011

You are also forgetting the fact that you are not supposed to discuss anything at all regarding the beta as it is considered confidential by Apple and it violates your non-disclosure agreement. And it may lull someone inexperienced into installing one onto their only device suddenly rendering it inoperable for a myriad of possible reasons.

Jul 21, 2017 10:38 AM in response to léonie

I don't think Photos can or even should replace Aperture which was a professional level piece of software. Since Photos is free, anything is better than nothing. When iPhoto came out it was a great resource for photographers - even professional. More than anything, I could Sort photos by Date, Keyword, Title, Rating. As time went on, features were added but then iPhoto decided how you were supposed to use the software, namely Events. I never liked and they were impossible to ignore, especially when trying to View a Sort. The only workaround was to put all photos into one Event. Worse, you couldn't drag and drop Events; or photos into Events. My brother loved Events, but when Photos came out, his Events disappeared. I had to talk him through options or explain how he could still use iPhoto in Yosemite.

Today Photos 2.0 offers Sort by Title and by Date. Keyword? It's unable to Sort the All photos folder (it says oldest first but not true). iPhoto should be able to sort any and all photos as well as iPhoto. They faced the difficulty of switching from iPhotos custom metadata fields to standard. There are several good ways to work with that but were not.

As reference I am a 33-year Mac user and programmer. For 22 years of that I was an automatic updater - of OS and software. If Apple updated, I adopted. I stopped at iPhoto 8 since 9 made sorting so difficult. Photos is worse.

Jul 21, 2017 1:56 PM in response to Csound1

As I said, Photos is not a replacement for Aperture.

It's common to hear people say that "Photos is far superior to iPhoto in every way". Of course, it's not. It's superior in a lot of ways, particularly in processing and altering photos. In managing photos, i.e. sorting photos, it's quite poor. As I said, after Apple has been programming a photo program for almost 2 decades, the program's sorting capabilities have declined rather than improved. That means Apple is more than "11 years behind" from where it used to be.

In checking out Photos for the very first time, I was very pleased at its ability to processing power (not as much as my copy of Photoshop, but I wouldn't expect it to be.) Then I reached Photos' "Sort" feature, and selected the "all photos" folder, chose Photos' Sort feature. I responds in gray, "Keep sorted by Oldest Date added". No matter what Photos power was, I couldn't use it. I've found another program that does all that Photos does and sorts photos as well. It just costs a few bucks.

Photo programs abound that process photos. There are few that manage photos, something that iPhoto was quite good at. My needs include ability to manage not just snaps, but also scanned photos going back more than 100 years. "Keep sorted by Oldest Date added" is no help. In sorting, iPhoto far exceeds Photos. There are several other ways, but no need to go further.

Jul 21, 2017 2:17 PM in response to Richard Furno

Any user album can be sorted by photo date ascending or descending or by title -

As to All Photos it works exactly as documented - no where does it state that All Photos is sorted by Photos date - it is documented and works as documented to sort by the date added to Photos - import date - which is a critically important sort to have and All Photos is the only place it is available

You simply have not taken the time to learn Photos and are making up capabilities that you insist it have - life does not work that way

as to a cheap program that does everything Photos does you are incorrect - it does not integrate into the Mac OS and into iCloud which are two of Photos biggest features

Anyway you are free to use any program you want but the fact that you expect a program to have every feature you can dream up and in addition you are unwilling to learn how it does work does not mean the program is inferior - it means you have unrealistic expectations

LN

Jul 21, 2017 3:37 PM in response to Richard Furno

As time went on, features were added but then iPhoto decided how you were supposed to use the software, namely Events. I never liked and they were impossible to ignore, especially when trying to View a Sort. The only workaround was to put all photos into one Event. Worse, you couldn't drag and drop Events; or photos into Events. My brother loved Events, but when Photos came out, his Events disappeared

This is not true. Prior to the Events concept there were Rolls. Events were based on date of the photograph, Rolls based on date of import. Each was as much how you were "supposed" to use the app: i.e not very much, just a basic system for those who really couldn't be bothered too much. And you could sort Events, and you didn't have to put all the pics into one Event, you could just use the Photos view, and yes you could drag and drop pics into events and even drag and drop Events. And Events didn't disappear when Photos came out. The iPhoto Library was left untouched and in Photos the Events were preserved as Albums.

So, really I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I have v9.6.1 on this Mac and everything you've said there is incorrect.

Jul 22, 2017 1:24 PM in response to Yer_Man

I'll have to reply to this from memory because I ditched v9.6.1 and stuck with v8.

Take an example of sorting all photos by Date, Title, etc.

If you go to View and Sort in v8, "Event Titles" is checked "on" by default. You can turn "Event Titles" off and sort and get your results without "Events" showing. In v9, you can't turn "Event Titles" off. Any sort is with "Event Titles" on so photos are not listed by date (or by Title, etc.). They're listed (if I recollect correctly) by Event date (or Title, etc.). Another annoying part of such listings is that Events takes up a huge amount of screen real estate. Perhaps you think there's no reason anyone should want to do search without Events. You'd be wrong.

Regarding "drag and drop" of Events and/or photos; I remember it was almost impossible to do, though there were a couple of times it actually worked for me for no reason I could understand (I never read the manual). But dragging and dropping Events into Events and having it work 1 out of 10 times is NOT "Drag and drop", that's "Occasional drag and drop". If you have to hold down a key, or do it only under special conditions, or have to read the manual, then that's NOT "Drag and drop", it's "Do-a-bunch-of-things-first and then drag and drop". If you can't select 2 or 3 Events and drag and drop into another Event and it fails to work, then it's not "Drag and drop". If you have to "just know the trick" to make it work then it isn't "Drag and drop", it's … (you get the idea). iPhoto was, "I'll-give-odds-that-it-won't drag and drop."

Jul 22, 2017 3:44 PM in response to Richard Furno

So, you're replying from memory to a person who actually has the app here in front of him?

In v9, you can't turn "Event Titles" off.

Yeah you can. So... the rest is equally untrue.

Regarding "drag and drop" of Events and/or photos; I remember it was almost impossible to do

Or, you misremember... or you had a local issue. So again, the rest is untrue.

Does anyone else HATE the new Photos "upgrade"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.