Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installed OS X Yosemite, and now I can not open Aperture. It states I need to install the latest aperture version, however i can not locate it. I can not view any of my photos, can anyone tell me what my next step is?

installed OS X Yosemite, and now I can not open Aperture. It states I need to install the latest aperture version, however i can not locate it. I can not view any of my photos, can anyone tell me what my next step is?

Posted on May 20, 2015 5:47 PM

13 replies

May 20, 2015 5:52 PM in response to ettamae

Aperture was discontinued; there is a version that will work in Yosemite, but I believe it needed to be downloaded before the application was discontinued. Have you checked your Purchases and Updates section in the app store to see if it might be there? Have you checked/tried to open either iPhoto and/or its new version "Photos" - both should be in your Applications folder and your photos should be there.

I'd be happy to ask the hosts to move this thread to either the Aperture, iPhoto, or Photos forum if you'll tell me which one I should ask for. There are some very knowledgeable people hanging out in those.

May 20, 2015 6:08 PM in response to babowa

Babowa

I had no idea this would happen, not real computer wiz to be honest. I think but I am not certain that all my photos are in the new "photos" version. I would love to find more help on the subject, however I am not certain who to ask. if you wanted to ask the hosts to move it to more appropriate forum that would be great. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you for your help.

May 20, 2015 6:10 PM in response to ettamae

Give this a try. Put your current copy in the Trash. Open App Store and click on you Purchases page. Locate the entry for your purchase of Aperture. Click on the Download button. This should download the current version.

This is for iPhoto and should be the same process for Aperture:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

May 20, 2015 6:19 PM in response to ettamae

No, it will not. If you purchased it on a DVD, then you have a pretty old version. Probably pre-3.x.x. All you can do at this point is to reinstall Aperture from your DVD it the installer will allow it. If not, then you will need to reinstall your old version of OS X that you were running before you performed your upgrade to Yosemite.

May 20, 2015 7:15 PM in response to ettamae

Do you have the Aperture 2 or 3 version? And has it ever been updated via Software Update? If so, can you post exactly which version you have (to do that, open the Applications folder in column view, highlight Aperture, and in the right column it should show you the version number. I also purchased my copy of Aperture via install DVD, but I updated it and did associate it with the app store, so it provided a notice to download the latest version before it was discontinued.

You can try to install from your DVD if it is v. 3.x; I did the last install in Mavericks (10.9.x) and have not tried a fresh install in Yosemite. The worst that can happen is: you install it (don't try to open it) and then go to the app store and check Updates, and it won't show any. Nothing wasted but a little time.

Once you try all the suggestions here, post back with any results and we can see if your question should be moved to the Photos forum or if you were able to find your pictures...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.