Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't drag photos to Photoshop any more

Just upgraded to Photos...

I used to be able to select a bunch of photos in iPhoto and drag them down to the Photoshop icon in my dock and Photoshop would open all the photos.

This is no longer working since I upgraded to Photos.

Any ideas?? I do NOT want to have to export them first - that is too time consuming. Just want to drag and open.

Thank you

Photos-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Photoshop CS5

Posted on May 22, 2015 7:52 AM

41 replies

Feb 21, 2017 12:18 AM in response to swandy

I don't think this is correct about the file that gets dragged and dropped. I just "dragged" two JPEGs from Photos to my desktop and the photos on the desktop are both the same size as the ones in Photos

It will depend on whether the photo has been edited or not.

• For small image files Photos will save a copy of the original when you drag, if the original has not been edited.
  • If the photo has been edited, you will get a copy of the preview when you drag the photo. This preview can be of the same pixel size and quality as the original, if the original is reasonably small.

For very large files, dragging the edited version will result in a much smaller file, for example:

User uploaded file

The original has a file size of 160 MB and a width of 20000 pixels, the dragged file has still the same pixelsize, but a much smaller file size.

Jan 2, 2017 10:49 AM in response to indiekiduk2

It's not a bug that older versions of Photoshop and many 3rd party apps can be dragged and dropped to.

If the 3rd party app hasn't been updated to be compatible with Photos and Sierra it's not a bug in Photos. Photos can be dragged into Pages, Numbers and Keynote documents. Newer 3rd party apps usually can access images in Photos via the File ➙ Open ➙ Media route or the Insert ➙ Picture route in Bean:

User uploaded file

Feb 18, 2017 10:04 AM in response to mrox

If you have the latest version of Photoshop you should be able to drag and drop but should hold down the Option key to get the original file instead of the preview that's created upon import for viewing.

I use the External Editor for Photos app to edit from within Photos with any image editor that I have in my Applications folder:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

it's similar to the external editor in iPhoto only much more powerful.

But if Windows provides you with more versatility by all means migrate to a PC.

W

Feb 18, 2017 10:44 PM in response to PattiMc

Life moves forward and Apple provided a greatly expanded capability to use any program that provided extensions and the External Editors for Photos extension uses this new Apple provided capability to allow you to use any external editor with Photos - you cn choose to use it or not use it but it is not a bug - it is a new expanded and much more powerful capability

Photo Editing Extensions for Photos for Mac

LN

Jan 2, 2017 11:18 AM in response to Old Toad

It might help to clarify we are talking about a photo being dragged onto an app icon not into a document. Those insert work flows are not very usable because the user is required to re-search for the same photo in a space constrained window.

A work-around for a single photo is to right click the image in Photos and share to Mail, and then drag the image from the new email onto the Photoshop icon.

Jan 2, 2017 11:47 AM in response to ElisabethR

I'm having this same issue, but I don't know if it happened when I upgraded to Sierra or because I upgraded to Photos - both upgrades happened at the same time. Also cannot "open in external editor" from Photos. Can somebody explain this to me in simple terms?

Why in the world would Apple shut off access to a photo editor?

That seems more like a bug than a forced change by Apple. Right?

I mean, seriously, Apple doesn't really want to *force* us to buy another app from them to make a simple task of opening an image to edit possible. Right? RIGHT?

Sure, I can email the photo to myself and then drag it into PS, but that's just silly. I cannot believe Apple would make people resort to adding something like that to their workflow. That's just nuts. 😕

Jan 2, 2017 12:30 PM in response to indiekiduk2

If you drag the thumbnail to an app to open it at best you'll be working with the lower resolution preview version that Photos creates during import. You won't be using the full resolution original version.

With the Apple apps like Pages, etc., it's best to use the Media browser as that will get you the full version (if not edited) to work with or the full edited version.

Jan 2, 2017 12:38 PM in response to PattiMc

You'll just have to get with the new, improved and expanded workflow with the new Photos.

You can use any 3rd party image editor of your choice with Photos. All you need to do is purchase the 99¢ External Editors For Photos from the App Store. This user tip shows how: External Editors in Photos Are Here.

If 99¢ is too much for you for such expanded editing capability you'll just have to make due with the enhanced built in editing capabilities of Photos.

Jan 2, 2017 12:49 PM in response to Old Toad

The _cost_ isn't the point. I'd fork it over if the app actually came from Apple. I hesitate to buy a 3rd party app, from a person/company that uses tumblr as their "website" and doesn't have any contact info on said website.

The question is still unanswered: Is this something Apple did on purpose or is it a bug?

It matters.

Feb 18, 2017 9:57 AM in response to Old Toad

Why?
Didn't Apple develop drag-and-drop, for the simple functionality of editing in a preferred application?

It's ridiculous. You may as well go back to the command line, cos people are too stupid...

I've been using apple machines since '88. Now I'm jealous of my son's machines using WINDOWS... How did it become so?

Feb 18, 2017 12:29 PM in response to Old Toad

So you're suggesting that what previously worked, and no longer does is better?

I should get another app to bring back functionality that Apple invented and built into their apps and then decided to cripple? Are you mad? Do you really believe that adding mouse clicks and intermediate applications is progress?

Can't drag photos to Photoshop any more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.