Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Calendar Data from Clients after Server Crash

I've had a bad server crash discussed elsewhere:

Re: ServerBackup : Restoring OS X Server from a Time Machine Backup

and

Server 4.1 lost track of ServiceData Location - all Calendar data gone

This is a small server with only 5 users, and I've decided the easiest solution is to start from scratch, rebuilding the user accounts.

The main problem is the loss of Calendar and Contacts data.

I just discovered that the client machines do have backups of these online calendars.

The way to restore these is as follows:

• On the client machine, go to ~/Library/Calendars
  • you will see a bunch of folders. The ones you want are the ones that end in .caldav, for example AAAAAAAA-BBBB-DDDD-EEEE-FFFFFFFF.caldav
  • this folder represents one user account
  • inside this folder are XXXX.calendar folders, each of which represents a single Calendar within that CalDAV account
  • within that folder is an Info.plist file, which includes near the bottom the name of the calendar, e.g. <title>MyWorkCalendar</title>
  • Within the Events folder is where the gold nuggets are: individual .ics files, each of which represents one event.

Restoring these is easy:

• In Calendar.app, create or select the calendar you want the events to go back into.
  • Select all the .ics files in a given Events folder, drag & drop into Calendar.app

I'm so glad I found these files as I was worried they were either missing, or buried deep inside my OS X server backup in some impossible to deal with SQL format.

Mac mini, OS X Server, OSX 10.10.3 with Server.app 4.1

Posted on May 22, 2015 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:40 AM

Correction: the original instructions did not work properly. Here are revised instructions which do work:

• you will see a bunch of folders. The ones you want are the ones that end in .caldav, for example AAAAAAAA-BBBB-DDDD-EEEE-FFFFFFFF.caldav
  • inside this folder are XXXX.calendar folders, each of which represents a single Calendar within that CalDAV account
  • within that folder is an Info.plist file, which includes near the bottom the name of the calendar, e.g. <title>MyWorkCalendar</title>
  • Within the Events folder is where the gold nuggets are: individual .ics files, each of which represents one event.

Restoring these is easy, but is a 2 step process:

• In Calendar.app, click the Calendars button so the sidebar is visible showing your calendars
  • Create a new LOCAL calendar "On My Mac", e.g. "Temporary Home Calendar"
  • Select all the .ics files in a given Events folder, drag & drop into Calendar.app, dropping them on Temporary Home Calendar
  • Select the calendar and from the Calendar.app menu choose /File/Export/Export... and save this calendar to your hard drive (it will be an .ICS file)
  • Delete the temporary calendar
  • Now, you can select the Shared CalDAV calendar, and drag & drop the ICS file onto it : this should properly import all the data without errors.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 10:40 AM in response to xmddmx

Correction: the original instructions did not work properly. Here are revised instructions which do work:

Restoring these is easy, but is a 2 step process:

• In Calendar.app, click the Calendars button so the sidebar is visible showing your calendars
  • Create a new LOCAL calendar "On My Mac", e.g. "Temporary Home Calendar"
  • Select all the .ics files in a given Events folder, drag & drop into Calendar.app, dropping them on Temporary Home Calendar
  • Select the calendar and from the Calendar.app menu choose /File/Export/Export... and save this calendar to your hard drive (it will be an .ICS file)
  • Delete the temporary calendar
  • Now, you can select the Shared CalDAV calendar, and drag & drop the ICS file onto it : this should properly import all the data without errors.

May 23, 2015 2:00 PM in response to xmddmx

I found a similar technique that works for Address Book (Contacts.app) data:

• On the client machine, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book
  • Make a compressed copy of this folder just in case.
  • Restore this folder from a known good backup using Time Machine
  • Launch Contacts. If you are lucky, the contacts will still be there in the server account
  • Select All of the contacts, drag them to your hard drive, which will put them all into a .VCF file format
  • Quit Contacts
  • Delete your Contacts account using System Preferences/Internet Accounts
  • Recreate your Contacts account using System Preferences/Internet Accounts
  • Drag & drop the VCF file back onto the server account.

Restoring Calendar Data from Clients after Server Crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.