Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to sign an online contract

Apple Desktop Computer

I have a PDF in my email and want to initial, sign and return the document showing I agree.

I do not have a scanner which would be the only way I know how to do this.

Hopeful,

Jayne

iMac, iOS 8.2, Desktop Apple Computer

Posted on May 22, 2015 2:57 PM

20 replies

May 22, 2015 3:07 PM in response to JT Graves

You will need an image of your signature. You can get the image by scanning it into your computer, but you would need a scanner to do that. Absent a scanner that is software that enables you to use "gestures" on your screen or apps to do the same on an iDevice. I've seen the software but do not recall specific titles. So I'm afraid you will need to search for them in the iTunes or App Store.

Of course, you can run out and get a scanner. You can print out the PDF document, sign it, then use Internet e-faxing to return it by fax. You may even find local stores that provide a service for scanning in your signature and saving it on a flash drive for you.

May 22, 2015 3:27 PM in response to JT Graves

You need to use a Digital Signature Service - the only legal way to do what you want.

I was in this business for 5+ years with Real Estate Contracts.

This is a very easy to use service, with 5 free documents > https://rightsignature.com/ - it has way more features than you describe - I would tour the site and features then decide exactly what you want

Alternately... PRINT the document > mark it up > Sign it > take Photos with your phone and attach to an email is also a legal facsimile as long as you maintain the originally signed document in a safe place for all time and eternity

ÇÇÇ

May 22, 2015 5:02 PM in response to stedman1

A contract is a legally binding document if executed properly according to applicable State and Federal statutes - if any dispute arises over the agreed upon terms, the first thing the adjudicator - court or mediator - will do is determine if the execution was legal. What the online digital signature service provides is a virtual "Notary Service" - the process satisfies chain of custody and original document retention requirements as well.

Real Estate contracts are the most particular about legislative oversight because of the value of the transaction - in conservative Texas, where we did our contract forms software digital signing is VERY particular indeed - even in "reproduction" of their published forms in PDF form (a photocopy actually "changes" the dimensions ever so slighty to invalidate them). We were able to get the Legislature allow our method of signing RE docs first of ANY state - a Clipboard that actually held paper documents that was a big Wacom tablet - and now even Texas is satisfied with the services I cite.

The services are widely accepted now because of all the safeguards that I describe, especially for most agreements.

Even "I agree" check boxes are good enough for "The Court" now.

I just described how I could fraudulently sign a document using the How To. Adobe has a digital signature Business in the Document Cloud.

If it can be faked, it ain't valid.

Google it, you'll see.

May 22, 2015 5:20 PM in response to Linc Davis

Howdy Sensei

If there is metadata about the act of taking the picture of the paper signature included in the final PDF - that is part of the legal battle.

but what if I have a facsimile of your signature and do it myself? I think this is really meant as a 'cool feature' rather than a binding act.

best regards

User uploaded file<<== apologies Alancito, no offense I hope?

User uploaded file

May 22, 2015 5:38 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

I have been signing documents for years since it was possible to scan a copy of my signature to a file. When I lost my file during a computer fiasco I had to do it again. I still have that document. It is dated 2003. Most of the documents I sign are for real estate transactions including the purchase and sale of limited partnership interests. I have used the signature on dozens if not hundreds of documents both legal and not legal. Never has that been questioned by any legal authority. However, I have not been required to substantiate a signature in court nor have the signatures subjected to deep inspection to prove they are mine as opposed to clever copies of my signature intended for illegal purposes.

When I prepared for retirement (finance and real estate professor) I even signed several retirement papers using my copied signature affixed to PDF files emailed to me.

I was in the commercial real estate business for 15 years or so during which I saw the use of signature stamps (these were the days before the computer) on legal documents. Some by the attorneys themselves.

Of course with the ease by which ones signature and/or identity can be taken online there is a definite need for a way to provide acceptable digital signatures, so I'm not in disagreement here, just relating my individual experiences.

May 22, 2015 6:10 PM in response to Kappy

Howdy O! Sensei

In Texas, Commercial Real Estate and Residential Real Estate are regulated differently. Commercial is more like any other business deal. Residential is regulated because they sought to protect naive Buyers & Sellers of residential property by requiring Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) published forms for the transaction to be legal to start with.

As I said earlier, any means of making an agreement between the parties is likely OK when agreed upon 'twixt the parties. The issue really only arises when there is some dispute later on.

The stamps on stuff are still in wide use. There is however "chain of custody" of the stamps themselves.

The services I examined a while back had no facility for uploading one's own signature if it existed locally... they made you pick from a small variety of Script Fonts and you agreed that that was now your signature for that session - recording your consent in the file's archive.

What surprises me most about this agreement is that the other party did not initiate the process using a service to begin with. It is really cheap (MUCH less than courier/FedEx, etc.) - in a Residential RE deal, the offers and counters where a BIG cost at closing for document logistics. Our Digital sigs we implemented with the "Clipboard Tablet Capture" actually embedded the sigs/initials into the file - then just send it via our auto-email or attach to en email of your own. ANY change - one character anywhere and the file/software zapped all the sigs. The "Best Evidence" still remained the actual "Last Signed" accepted agreement. Oh! Did I mention that the parties were actually signing with real ink pen (it had the added feature of being the "Wacom" pen too)

company is http://autorealty.com if you wanna check it out. If I know the owner like I think I do, they are WAY late to the party with iDevice Apps.

Need to sign an online contract

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.