Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mdnsrespond; wireless network

I have a mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8 GB memory and a 1TB disk.

My problem is with network access via a wireless network. I'm using Comcast wireless that routinely shows a 75 mbps speed unless it stalls when I try to use it.

Frequently, the progress bar in Safari will advance about 10% after an address is entered and then stall. I started watching activity monitor to see what was happening and notice that _mdnsrespond was always the web app at the top of the list during the stall. So I tried quitting the process and voila, the page loads.

So the question is this - Is it mdnsrespond that's failing or Comcast? I'm guess that the process has gone out to the server and it didn't get the response it needed to proceed.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Browser hangs on wifi

Posted on May 23, 2015 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 11:10 AM

This procedure will erase all your settings in the Network preference pane. Back up all data before you begin, and recreate the settings afterwards.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item named "SystemConfiguration" selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password.

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 11:10 AM in response to GGATCC

This procedure will erase all your settings in the Network preference pane. Back up all data before you begin, and recreate the settings afterwards.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services ▹ Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item named "SystemConfiguration" selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password.

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

May 24, 2015 10:36 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. My situation isn't that the WiFi is dropped. The progress bar intermittently stops when loading a site. At first I could alternate WiFi servers in the house and connect immediately when the stall happened. Then I started watching the process and noticed that the stall would end if I force mdnsrespond to quit.

After Linc's reply, I cleaned house to remove a lot of places that I had connected to that were showing in the WiFi prefs. So far, that alone has prevented any other stalls. If I see it happen one time, I will go the full reset of preferences.

WiFi diagnostics presently says its working properly.

mdnsrespond; wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.