Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting new Airport Extreme to my old TimeCapsule on the network

Hi, hopefully you guys can help. I have the sure type TC, which is connected through WAN to my Uverse router. I also have an airport an airport express base station, contacted in bridge mode to the network, in another part of the house, like a repeater.

I want to install the new Airport Extreme to get faster wifi but want to keep using my TC to back up my Macs. I tried it yesterday, and went nuts for 3 hours. Kept loosing internet.. I had connected the new airport extreme through WAN to my Uverse, then ethernet from my Extreme (lan) to (lan) to TC. Somebody had suggested I create new network. That didn't work. I ended up with 2 networks. Does someone know the steps, and finally how would I switch my wireless off on the TC once everything is working?

Thanks

Alberto

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 24, 2015 6:53 AM

20 replies

May 24, 2015 7:15 AM in response to alberto299

Please check things over and make sure that the wireless is working and the Ethernet ports are working on the AirPort Extreme. It makes no sense to try to set up another device until the AirPort Extreme is functioning correctly.

Assuming that things are working well on the AirPort Extreme, then we will add the Time Capsule to the network.

I understand that you want to......

1) Connect the Time Capsule using an Ethernet cable

2) Turn off the wireless function on the Time Capsule

Is that correct?

May 24, 2015 7:55 AM in response to alberto299

OK, we will set up the Time Capsule.

First disconnect any Ethernet cables that might be connected to the Time Capsule.

Power up the Time Capsule for a few minutes, then hold in the reset button on the back of the device for 7-8 seconds and then release.

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the three LAN <--> ports on the AirPort Extreme (it does not matter which one you use) to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen and look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station.

Just under that, click on Time Capsule. The example below shows an AirPort Extreme, but you will see Time Capsule on your screen

User uploaded file

That will get the setup wizard running, and it will take a minute to analyze the network and then suggest that the Time Capsule will extend the AirPort Extreme network.

Enter a name that you want to call the Time Capsule. You can use the same name that you used before, if you wish

Click Next

The utility will set up everything for you

When you see the message of setup complete, click Done and you should have a green light on the Time Capsule

Post back on your progress, and we will turn off the wireless on the Time Capsule next.

May 24, 2015 9:42 AM in response to alberto299

Sorry, I am confused.

When I asked if the AirPort Extreme was working correctly, and you said that we should assume that it was, this would have meant that the AirPort Extreme was connected to the globe in the AirPort Utility window and since the Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme were both powered off, they would not even appear in the AirPort Utility window.

Are you now saying that you did not check to make sure that the AirPort Extreme was working?

Connecting new Airport Extreme to my old TimeCapsule on the network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.