Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 9 lags with video (OS X Mavericks)

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping you could help me with this one...

I work with Logic Pro 9.1.8 which is running on my recently bought Mac Pro (4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3). I've also upgraded from Mountain Lion to OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks).

I've noticed that Logic works very slowly when I work with video, to the point of sometimes crashing. I work with video running on a separate screen with the video format being mov, The file size is relatively small and I run the video from a separate SSD to the OS and Logic, so it shouldn't really be a problem for my mac to handle...

I was wondering what could the problem be, maybe the graphic card?

Also I'm quite happy with Logic 9, but perhaps upgrading to Logic X is the only way to solve the issue? Maybe Logic 9 and OS X Mavericks simply don't get along?

Would really appreciate you help on this, thank you in advance!

Daniel

Posted on May 25, 2015 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 4:52 PM

It's more likely to be the Graphic drivers that were installed with Mavericks..

To be honest, I (and a few of the other regulars here) who still use LP9, do so under Snow Leopard because that combination of LP9.1.5/8 and SL10.6.8 has proven to be the most stable and best performing combo of Logic/OS X to date....

However, if you need Mountain Lion for other OS X related features then I'd roll back using your backups as the combo of Mavericks (or Yosemite) and LP9 often does have performance related issue or stability problems for many users.. as you have apparently discovered.

LPX 10.1.1 and Yosemite 10.10.3 works okay.. and is a fairly stable combination so long as your external hardware is fully supported under 10.10...but again, there is a fair sized performance hit using that combo due to the greater loads the recent OS X versions make on hardware....

More info can be found in the following User Tip...

Latest OS X & Logic Pro Compatibility Information

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 4:52 PM in response to danielshachar

It's more likely to be the Graphic drivers that were installed with Mavericks..

To be honest, I (and a few of the other regulars here) who still use LP9, do so under Snow Leopard because that combination of LP9.1.5/8 and SL10.6.8 has proven to be the most stable and best performing combo of Logic/OS X to date....

However, if you need Mountain Lion for other OS X related features then I'd roll back using your backups as the combo of Mavericks (or Yosemite) and LP9 often does have performance related issue or stability problems for many users.. as you have apparently discovered.

LPX 10.1.1 and Yosemite 10.10.3 works okay.. and is a fairly stable combination so long as your external hardware is fully supported under 10.10...but again, there is a fair sized performance hit using that combo due to the greater loads the recent OS X versions make on hardware....

More info can be found in the following User Tip...

Latest OS X & Logic Pro Compatibility Information

May 25, 2015 5:24 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thank you, that's really helpful info.

I'll check the graphic card drivers, hopefully that's the case.

Re Logic version - As my old Snow Leopard hard drive is corrupted and my Mountain Lion drive is in my Macbook, I guess there might be no way to avoid upgrading to Logic X... (paying full market price... wheepee! 😝)

Also do you know if all the video stutter issues were solved in Logic X? (such as the ones mentioned here - Logic Pro X is stuttering video)

And is that maybe why you work with Logic 9...?

Thanks again,

D

May 25, 2015 6:08 PM in response to danielshachar

Also do you know if all the video stutter issues were solved in Logic X? (such as the ones mentioned here - Logic Pro X is stuttering video)

And is that maybe why you work with Logic 9...?

Again, this seems to be related to different Graphic cards and their respective drivers.. Some combos work better than others...

Unfortunately you are 'stuck' with whatever drivers Apple provides with the cards.... as AMD/Nvidia don't provide separate OS X drivers as such.... and often the Apple released AMD/Nvidia driver versions.. aren't as fully optimized for the hardware as the latest AMD/Nvidia ones are..

In my case, my 2011 i7 Radeon 2GB GC iMac doesn't have any such stuttering issues but a client's 2013 Nvidia iMac does..... even though in theory, his iMac is somewhat more powerful than mine graphically speaking,. so it's hard to say exactly if you will have this issue or not.

But again, under Snow Leopard and LP9, there are no such issues on any hardware that will run that version of OS X (Note: newer Macs can't run older OS X's because Older OS X versions don't support their more modern hardware.)

Hope that clarifies things a little more...

Cheers..

Nigel

Logic Pro 9 lags with video (OS X Mavericks)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.