Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot modify files after copying them from old backup to fresh Yosemite installation

I have a new MacBook Pro with fresh Yosemite installation.

I decided to copy files from my old (Snow Leopard) Time Machine backup manually, because I wanted just some files copied, not everything. So I've created a new user, with same names exactly, as was my old one, and copied old backup files into it.

After copying, I've realized, that I cannot modify almost any of those files without Authenticating, or even at all. I cannot change the default program to open the file,some apps cannot save preferences (I've copied some old prefs too), deleting or moving files always requires Authentication, and I don't know what more... 😟

I've tried this "sudo chown -Rv username directory" command (found it in this thread: Root user and permissions), but it didn't help...

I've checked the permissions - they are all ok, I ran permissions fix also from Disk Utility - didn't help.

I'm quite frustrated, as I need to work tomorrow... any solution?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 26, 2015 4:27 PM

12 replies

May 26, 2015 4:35 PM in response to danas_blia

Please avoid entering commands found on the internet if at all possible, especially when they use sudo - it is very easy to mistype or enter the wrong thing if you are unfamiliar with the commands.

You can reset the user permissions via Apples own tools. Backup before you begin – just in case.

Boot holding cmd+R. Recovery mode should startup (assuming you have a recovery partition).

Select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter the word…

resetpassword

… & hit return.

The GUI app will open, select the main boot disk.

Select your user account in the popup menu.

Then click the Reset button at the bottom right. It will "Reset Home Folder Permissions & ACL's"

Repeat for the other users.

Quit ResetPassword from the menu,

Quit Terminal

You can also select Disk Utility and repair the system permissions & repair any disk damage that is reported via 'verify disk'.

Quit to reboot the Mac.

May 26, 2015 5:09 PM in response to Drew Reece

That's a thorough and quick answer, thanks!

I am a bit familiar with commands and Terminal, so far I never did any damage, and all worked fine, so I am quite confident and cautious at the same time.

By the way - you say to avoid commands found on internet, but you yourself tell me to execute a command 🙂

I will try right away, and will let you know

May 26, 2015 5:31 PM in response to danas_blia

danas_blia wrote:

By the way - you say to avoid commands found on internet, but you yourself tell me to execute a command 🙂

I will try right away, and will let you know

Ya I see the irony too 😝

This is a case where there is no alternative way to open that app. The command you posted looks OK, unless you actually entered the quotes & entered the correct path & username, it's a worry when things fail & used 'sudo'.

The main concern is the number of pages that have old or incorrect commands, always get a second opinion.

May 27, 2015 7:28 AM in response to danas_blia

The 'change all' button is normally greyed out for me. I have to select another app to 'Open in' before it becomes a clickable button.

The reset permissions should have fixed all those files but you can try the Terminal option if you want, your user will need to be an admin user for this to work…

sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR..;

sudo chown -R $UID:staff ~ $_;

sudo chmod -R u+rwX ~ $_;

sudo chmod -R -N ~ $_;

Clearly there is a lot going on here, wait for a second opinion if you want confirmation that it is OK but a backup is a really good idea too!

If you are unsure you can list the files in question to see if they have extended attributes or other ACL permissions set…

ls -leO@ "Path To Files"

I'm not sure if the extended attributes listed in cdhw's link is part of your issue.

May 27, 2015 9:46 AM in response to danas_blia

WOW! I found a fix finally. I didn't want to go into Terminal experiments any more - wasn't sure how to use the xattr command precisely, but it gave me some ideas. So I googled a little more and found a simple app "Permissions Reset" http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31741/permissions-reset

I ran it and voila! after 1 minute all is fixed! 🙂

I think that the problem was in messed up Snow Leopard permissions - I believe - removing the ACLs, resetting the permissions, and resetting ownership together did the job.

May 27, 2015 11:44 AM in response to danas_blia

The issue probably arose from how you moved files back from the Time Machine backup. If you manually did the copy the Finder will copy the ACL's & permissions over. If you use the Time Machine UI to restore files it should request admin permissions that allows the OS to restore with the appropriate permissions based on the destination. Restoring user files is best done via Migration Assistant if possible.

May 28, 2015 2:30 AM in response to Drew Reece

You are probably right, because that's what I did - manually copied the files. I should have used the Migration Assistant, but I really wanted to avoid importing all files with no control, and then ending up with 2 users (I already had a new user set-up and some apps installed, and some new files created etc.), and then having to consolidate them into one...

I didn't realize that just simply copying files will cause such issues - I was long time a Windows user before, and still have some old habits 🙂

May 28, 2015 3:05 PM in response to danas_blia

Try the 'Apple way' by copying files back via the Time Machine interface, opened via the 'Time Machine menu > Browse Time Machine…'. That should restore correctly - you don't have to migrate everything.

Time Machine uses ACL's to prevent other users snooping & editing other users data.

I'm glad you have it sorted & having a rough idea of what may have happened is always nice 🙂

Good luck, D

Cannot modify files after copying them from old backup to fresh Yosemite installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.