Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow download of XCode

My Mac currently attempts to download Xcode 6.3.2. It is now doing this during more than half an hour. Ok, its 2.57 GB, but progress is extremely slow. Previously I downloaded eg. iTunes6464.exe - and these 145 MB were completed in a few seconds. If Xcode would download with a similar speed, then it should be complete within a few minutes. Hence the problem seems to be the server that delivers Xcode. Is there hope for a change to better - read faster download?

iPhone 5, iOS 8, working with Xcode 6.0.1

Posted on May 28, 2015 7:17 AM

4 replies

May 28, 2015 7:35 AM in response to msuper69

Nice for you. My Mac tells me that for the last 0.94 GB it will take 22 minutes. This corresponds to a data rate of less than 6 mbps. That's an order of magnitude below the capability of my connection to the net. And I doubt that the problem is caused by the fact that the server is (probably) in the US and I am near Zürich (Switzerland).

May 28, 2015 8:09 AM in response to robertfromstaefa

There is one constant — the size of the Xcode package. Otherwise, there are two many variables between your Mac and Apple download servers to complain about. I have a 3.6MB/s Internet connection, and that is no guarantee that the download of Xcode occurred at anywhere close to that bandwidth.

HyperNova's advice is sound. Fork yourself as another process, and go do something else productive until the Xcode download completes. Or reboot your computer, and establish another network connection, and hope for some improvement. Once your network packets leave your location, you are at the mercy of chaos theory.

May 28, 2015 8:20 AM in response to VikingOSX

Ok, meanwhile the file is in. It took about 2 hours. Now its installing and that is again something stupefying: Firstly the installation time jumped erratically between 17 and 4 minutes, finally after app. 5 minutes it went down to 2 minutes - with excursions back to 4 and this continued with smaller numbers. But finally it made it and Xcode seems to work. Thank you for your advice.

slow download of XCode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.