Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery issues on new Macbook Retina 15" Mid-2015 only lasts <3 hours

I have a mid-2012 model and the battery on that lasts ~5 hours assuming I'm just watching movies on VLC and have wifi off, and with brightness at 1/2 bars. Gaming with wifi off will last me about 3 hours.

I just received the new macbook pro retina which advertised 9 hours of battery life. Right now, I only have a chrome browser open, wifi is off. Not watching a movie nor playign a game.

I'm getting 3 hours remaining on the battery meter. As you can see, on Coconut Battery my capacity is above design capacity. I've confirmed only the integrated GPU is being used right now.

So, what is happening to the other 6 hours of advertised battery life? I typically take 4-8 hour flights 2x/week, so bought the battery on the 9 hour claim. ****, would be happy with the 5 hours I was getting before.

Further, the battery % remaining reported on Coconut Battery is varying from the one above by quite a decent amount (~5% on average)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 29, 2015 6:13 AM

22 replies

Jul 23, 2017 1:08 PM in response to carol33

there are few "make sure its plugged in" level things you can do, then you need more analysis:

• make sure all your software updates have been done. Sometimes firmware changes are introduced that change operating characteristics like battery run time.

• Do an SMC Reset. If you need the procedure, just ask.

• develop the rigor to QUIT Applications you are done with. If you merely close all their windows, they are still running in the background until you quit. This is done so that when you want to re-launch them that will be instant.

Then you need to look for things that might be using more energy that they are entitled to. Activity Monitor now features an "Energy" pane that occasionally provides surprises.

Then run etrechek, a completely non-invasive utility that uses standard system calls to look around inside your Mac. It does not even need to be Installed. It does not change anything unless you ask it to.

Using etrecheck

Jul 23, 2017 12:24 PM in response to IveGotAHeadache

There must be another thread on this topic because I'm seeing this thread on July 23, 2017.

I have owned several Macs, including 3 different MBP's, over the past 9 years.

I have never had a battery go down as fast as this one does - not on any of my Apple devices, and

I own iPad Air, Mac Book Pro's, MacBook Air, and have had all sorts of Mac laptops over the years.

I just bought an iMac and a retina 15" MBP (mid 2015 model still) in January 2017. I cannot believe how the battery

goes down on the MBP. And, it is NOT related to Chrome. Chrome was not even open.

I'm running Sierra 10.12.5 and have 16 Gigs of RAM.

The other day, I was sitting with the MBP listening to a financial talk show on the radio.
I ONLY had WORD open, and I was taking notes as I was listening. Nothing else was running except the OS.

And, I was not typing all the time; I'd sit and listen

9:31 AM - 67%

9:43 AM - 64%

9:49 AM - 62%

10:02 AM - 60 %

10:06 AM - 58%

Even goes down in sleep mode.

I see that others have been having this issue for some time. I just purchased my 15" retina MBP this past January 2017. So, this seems to be an ongoing problem. I'm still within my one year warranty, and I have purchased Apple Care.

1) Can anyone tell me if batteries can be replaced in these MBP's?

2) Or, is it the reset issue I'm reading about in the thread?

Thank you,

Carol333

Jul 23, 2017 6:21 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant,

Thank you for the quick reply. I'm up-to-date on updates. I've only had this MBP since Jan 2017, and

I manually do the updates so I can see what it's updating.

Yes, yes, I always quit applications. I have 16 gigs of real RAM too.

1) I have not looked at the Energy Pane. I'll figure out how to do that.

2) I do not know what SMC reset is, but I'll look it up. (I've done PRAM reset before, but not lately)

3) I will use the link you supplied; have not done it yet.

I just wanted to say thanks for such a quick reply. I'll let you know how I make out.

Carol333

May 29, 2015 7:56 AM in response to stazi

Since you have a new MBP, have it checked under the warranty provisions at an Apple store genius bar.

If you purchased it from Apple (not a reseller), you have 14 days from the purchase date to return the MBP for an exchange or a refund.

Note how Apple advertises battery run time: They say UP TO, not WILL last X amount of hours and they use very conservative settings.

Ciao.

Battery issues on new Macbook Retina 15" Mid-2015 only lasts <3 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.