Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drives ejecting automatically

Over the past year I've been experiencing constant issues with external drives of ALL BRANDS, connected to my Mac Pro 2010 via both Firewire 800 and USB 2.0. Most of them have this problem of automatically ejecting (even while copying files - sometimes after 6 hours of copying), thus ending any copying or work being done.

I've contacted each of these manufactures and gone through endless software updates,etc and I still have troubles from the cheapest drives to pro Glyph drives.

Does anyone, anywhere have any idea what is causing this?

I'm currently running the newest version of Mavericks.

Thanks!

pro

Posted on May 30, 2015 10:49 AM

11 replies

May 30, 2015 11:48 AM in response to moonspinner123

Since (as Avery Thomas may have been suggesting) rough dismounts can damage the data structures on the drives, I suggest keeping all separately powered external volumes on UPS units if the wall power is at all suspect (which it is in many places).

To properly diagnose whether you are getting power fluctuations would require a recording meter. You might be able to borrow one if you know somebody at a lab at a nearby university or electronics shop, but it would be simpler to put the drives on a UPS and see if the problems stop. If it is the same UPS as you use for your Mac Pro (which should also be on UPS), be sure you have enough capacity for all of that equipment, and be aware that increasing the load even within the maximum capacity decreases the time the UPS can keep the equipment up.

External drives ejecting automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.