Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail where is the directories the email is sotred in located?

I have Apple Mail on two computers a MacBook Pro laptop, an Imac and an iphone 6 using IMAP email. The Imac is located in another country and often switched off. In short when I get the MacBook Pro and the Imac together I want to make sure that I know where the directores for email are located in Apple Mail so that I can synchronised them.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 31, 2015 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2015 3:28 PM

If you are using IMAP account, it wouldn't be necessary. The accounts sync themselves, based on the server, which is where your mail is located.

7 replies

Jun 1, 2015 3:59 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks for the reply Chris. IMAP does work as you have suggested however, if one of the computers is switched off then the EQUAL email distribution does not happen.

Hence I get missing emails whihc I am trying to recover to all directories on all the computers by synchronising them. I need to know where the fiels are properly located in Apple Mail so that I can then use synchronsation sioftware to do this.

Jun 1, 2015 4:16 AM in response to brown_elvis

Thank you Elvis for the reply. I think that you may have misunderstood my question. I have Apple Mail on an Iphone, a MacBook Pro and an IMAC . They all have the same accounts for receiving IMAP email.

The problem is that IMAP works ok when everything is switched on and receiving. If one of the computers receiving email is switched off for a period of time then it missies emails. What I am trying to do is identify the locaton within Apple Mail "e.g. file X123" which I can then sync with the other file X123 s in the other copies of Apple Mail on each of the IMAC Iphone and the Mac Book Pro.

Simple problem I do not know in Apple Computer language speak where the file holding the email is located.

Jun 1, 2015 8:06 AM in response to brown_elvis

brown_elvis wrote:

So I take it that you don't know the other answer. I'm looking for a specific address so I can read and print the e-mails that I had stored in my paid extra storage, for that purpose. Microsoft personnel doesn't know where they went, and they won't give me my old Hotmail back, to retrieve my email's.

If your account is closed, there is no way for you to access it. What kind of specific address are you searching for? Hotmail is stored on the Microsoft server, not on the local computer. If you cannot get anything from Microsoft, that is nothing anyone here could help you with. And, I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "paid extra storage", where is that located?

Jun 1, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Wellington44

Wellington44 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Chris. IMAP does work as you have suggested however, if one of the computers is switched off then the EQUAL email distribution does not happen.

Hence I get missing emails whihc I am trying to recover to all directories on all the computers by synchronising them. I need to know where the fiels are properly located in Apple Mail so that I can then use synchronsation sioftware to do this.

The fact that one computer is turned off has no bearing on your receiving mail. Once you start the computer that has been switched off and start mail, it should synchronize the mail. If it does not, then you are either not set up as IMAP, or something is wrong with a particular mail client.

Apple Mail where is the directories the email is sotred in located?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.