Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express "An unexpected error occurred. Try again"

My secondary network stopped working so I reset the airport express that I use as a base station but when I go to Airport Utility and click on it in "other Wi-Fi Devices", I get the "unexpected error occurred. Try again". I'm stuck. I've restarted it, tried plugging it straight into my desktop, and still nothing. What gives?

Tommy Holt

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 2009, 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 32GB Mem

Posted on Jun 3, 2015 3:41 PM

4 replies

Jun 3, 2015 3:53 PM in response to ThirdEye

What gives?

Bugs, lots of bugs.

Your tagline indicates that you are using Mavericks (10.9.x), but the "Unexpected Error" message occurs much more often in Yosemite (10.10.x).

In either case, check some settings on your Mac.

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi in the left panel to highlight it

Click Advanced at the lower right

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK

Click Apply

Then, perform the exact same check except click on Ethernet to highlight it, then follow the same steps below

Restart the Mac

Restart the AirPort Express

Check to see if AirPort Utility will pick up the AirPort Express

Jun 3, 2015 4:39 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes Bob, I'm on 10.9.5. I performed the tasks that you suggested and changed those settings, restarted the Mac and the AE. The network I created shows up in my menu bar and on my iPhone but if you select it, there is no internet connection. I have an Airport Extreme in a separate building as an extender for that network and it shows up in Airport Utility with a green light. My AE still has flashing amber. I'm afraid it might have been fried in the last thunderstorm we had here. At one point, it showed up and let me configure it which is why the network name shows up in the menu bar, but it doesn't actually work.

Tommy Holt

Jun 3, 2015 5:02 PM in response to ThirdEye

Was it plugged in by ethernet when the storm hit??

Did anything else die.. generally not just one item will die but several?

When you plug the Express into the computer by ethernet.. set a static IP on the computer..

Do another factory reset on it. Then setup in the computer.

Like thus... in preferences under ethernet.. advanced.

User uploaded file

You need neither Router or DNS for this.. turn off wireless as well.

Go to the Hardware tab and reduce the network speed to 10mbit.

User uploaded file

This ensures the utmost compatibility.

Then in the airport utility go to doing a manual configuration.. and type in the address exactly as shown here.

Airtport Utility can't find Airport Time Capsule on either of my 2009 Macs

BTW use your nose..

Most stuff blown up by lightning has a burnt smell.. electronics especially has a distinctive smell.. the magic smoke is released.. !!

Airport express "An unexpected error occurred. Try again"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.