Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to activate iPad 2

one of the user returned the iPad to the company

and we select reset and delete all content

user key in the iPad password

after deletion, the iPad cannot activated

the iPad is connected to WIFI

it will say UnSupported SIM,

The Sim card you are attempting to use is not a standard 20 digit ICCID that is required by the iPhone.

This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please contact your carrier and obtain a standard SIM Card

i have tried a sim card from the iPhone, doesnt work

i have tried WITHOUT sim card, doesnt work

both scenario show the same message

Please help

Kit

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 16, 2015 2:33 AM

48 replies

Jun 16, 2015 3:07 AM in response to nicekit

Hi,

I work at an IT rental company and I have the exact same problem today with 8x iPad's 2 3G! They were rented to a company in Scandinavia which also rented some iPad's 4 4G, and those resets wore successful. Only the iPad's 2 have this problem. I tried a few different SIM cards and did a DFU reset which were all unsuccessful. Hope someone knows what's going on.

Marc

Jun 16, 2015 4:03 AM in response to pointsofki

Apple Support rep with whom I spoke had me perform a factory reset and then attempt to activate through iTunes: but that only leads to the same "Unsupported SIM" message being displayed from within iTunes instead (this despite the fact that I don't even have a SIM inserted on this occasion—I've previously tried with known working SIMs from other iPads).

He claims that "it must be a hardware issue with the SIM card reader in the iPad" and has suggested that I book the device in for repair. Both logical reasoning and the similar experiences reported here by other people strongly suggest he's wrong, but I guess I shall have to do what he recommends.

Please do update us if you reach a solution.

Jun 16, 2015 4:38 AM in response to nicekit

Same here, this morning my ipad was working fine, updated itunes and my ipad crashed. I was forced to do a reset and now I get:

Unsupported SIM

The Sim card you are attempting to use is not a standard 20 digit ICCID that is required by the iPhone. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please contact your carrier and obtain a standard SIM card.

Worst thing is you cannot access restore options anymore. This is not a hardware issue. If it is, it was caused by their update.

Jun 16, 2015 4:52 AM in response to Turalyòn

Same has just happened to me on iphone 4:

Unsupported SIM

The Sim card you are attempting to use is not a standard 20 digit ICCID that is required by the iPhone. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please contact your carrier and obtain a standard SIM card.

Been on Apple chat and they are denying it is a software or phone hardware issue, but phone was fine before restore. I tried several sims all currently working and all come up with same error. It seems because Apple have not declared an issue that it must be my phone is faulty and out of warranty. Got an appointment at an Apple store. Not holding my breath that it will be my problem and not theirs and therefore costly to me!

unable to activate iPad 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.