Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Apple reset iPhone's locked to a users Apple ID?

Hi guys,

I want to know if it's possible for Apple to completely factory reset an iPhone and unlink any Apple ID associated with the device.

To put this in to context, I manage telephony and mobile devices for the company that I work for. Unfortunately, a few employees have left under a cloud and as such have not reset their company issued iPhone's so that they can be reused. I know that it's not possible to unlink an Apple ID without the previous owners credentials and I obviously wouldn't want to do anything untoward.

I wonder if anybody else has had a similiar experience? Whether you could point me in the right direction, or let me know if this is something that Apple can do?

Thanks for your help!

P.s. Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I just wanted to emphasize that this is a business requirement.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8, Various iOS 7/8 installs

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 2:44 AM

30 replies

Jun 17, 2015 2:48 AM in response to Rayamondo

There're two possible solutions to your problem.

The first is to contact your former employees and ask them to remove the devices from their accounts using these steps:

Find My iPhone Activation Lock: Removing a device from a previous owner’s account - Apple Support

The second way out is to grab all possible documents that prove the devices belong to a company and go to the local Apple Store. In this way, I believe Apple technicians will help you. I'm not sure, though.

Hope this helps!

Jun 19, 2015 1:16 PM in response to BooMonster

BooMonster wrote:

Apple should definitely assist you even if it takes time, also if the devices unlocked (doubtful though worth a try) go into settings, general, reset, erase all content and settings.

I should point out that in our case, we at least had the passcodes. Our problem was that Find My iPhone was turned on. Resetting doesn't help if that's the case, you still need their AppleID password to set it up after wiping.

When people leave, you have to remember to get users to sign the phone out of iCloud, which will require their password if Find My iPhone is turned on. Make sure anyone involved in dealing with departing employees knows to ask this. Just getting the phone back isn't enough.

Jun 20, 2015 6:09 AM in response to lamonte12

lamonte12 wrote:

My phone is locked and I need to be unlock if all can't get it unlock send me a new phone iphone6pluse okay

No, no one here is going to send you a new phone.

What do you mean by locked? Passcode locked and you've forgotten the passcode? Start here:

Forgot passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

Or do you mean locked to a carrier? If so, contact the carrier to which it is locked and ask if you qualify to have it unlocked.

Or, do you mean activation locked? If so you either need the passcode to the Apple ID to which it is locked or, you need to be able to present proof to Apple that you are the original owner.

Jun 20, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Rayamondo

With the phone and receipt in hand a trip to the Apple store and they will unlock on the spot.

ALso so if your using a MDM for your company you can set the device up as supervised and the MDM will store a code to turn FMI off in the future withoit having to know the Apple ID or password to the device. You can read more below

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

Jul 6, 2015 4:08 PM in response to imodztech

imodztech wrote:

ALso so if your using a MDM for your company you can set the device up as supervised and the MDM will store a code to turn FMI off in the future withoit having to know the Apple ID or password to the device. You can read more below

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

Can you explain this more, please? From that guide:

"With iOS 7.1 or later, a compatible MDM solution can enable Activation Lock on

supervised devices when a user turns on Find My iPhone. MDM administrators can

manage Find My iPhone Activation Lock by supervising devices with Apple Configurator

or the Device Enrollment Program. The MDM solution can then store a bypass code

when Activation Lock is enabled, and later use this code to clear Activation Lock

automatically when the device needs to be erased and assigned to a new user. See

your MDM solution documentation for details."

So if I want to have my devices in this supervised mode, I have to do something with Apple Configurator or DEP? As far as I can tell, we can't use DEP because our reseller (Optus) appears not to participate in it. We can't use Apple Configurator because we don't have a Mac. Is this something that can't be done with the MDM alone?

Can Apple reset iPhone's locked to a users Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.