Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is "MegaBackup"? How do I remove "MegaBackup" from a macbook air?

When doing a search I clicked on a image and had several pop ups changing my browser preference and opening up ads to purchase home furniture and such. I corrected all my preferences as well as deleting the cookies and relevant history. But two items showed up on my launchpad. "MegaBackup", "Reset Search" and "MacKeeper" How do I get rid of them?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 11:54 AM

115 replies

Jan 6, 2017 8:25 AM in response to SeaPapp

Worked - but I watched in Activity Monitor as the app re-initiated the stream even though it was closed. I had to kill it in Activity Monitor and then quickly get it to the trash and flush it before it "regenerated" itself somewhere behind the scenes, or else trash would give the same info that it was "open" even though the application was closed.

Jan 24, 2017 6:18 PM in response to danielfromclarkston

I just got this trashware too, and removed it successfully.

Please follow those easy steps:

1. Open the Mega Backup

2. Open the "Finder"->"Applications", and find Mega Backup there, get ready to remove it

3. Click the Apple logo on the left-top corner, and find "Force Quit", normally it didn't shows up, but if you keep the software open, you can find it here

4. Force Quit it

5. Remove it quickly

Hope this could help you : )

Oct 20, 2017 4:50 AM in response to danielfromclarkston

Hi! I had the same thing happen to me. I don’t know what this MegaBackup, Set Search & MacKeeper are but it seems like a virus. It all happened after I downloaded a new IOS update. I typed in a travel website I always use and instead got an image saying that my “adobe flash player” needed to be updated (as always) so I clicked it & then all that stuff downloaded to my computer with pop ups from fake apple websites saying I needed to contact them immediately about a virus on my Mac... I reset my website preferences and got rid of the Set Search & Mac keeper there.

MegaBackup: right click & quit the app. Search “MegaBackup” in the Finder under This Mac & move the icon to the trash.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find out anything I’m missing

Aug 1, 2015 1:26 PM in response to SoniaK4

SoniaK4 wrote:

This did work for me too!. Thank you! Are there any subfiles in Activity Monitor I can dump to clean things up in there?

Are you having a specific problem or are you just concerned about the number of running processes? Killing files in Activity Monitor can make your mac unstable if you stop something that you don't completely understand. There are always going to be a lot of processes running, perfectly normal.

Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 3, 2015 12:56 PM in response to Tybau

Thank you, thank you. I had been expecting a video from my marketing consultant and clicked on the Skype because I thought it was his video. Big mistake. Ended up with megabuck-up. Option command esc. worked like a charm. I put it in my passwords book just in case I do it again! Glad there are some very smart people to help me out there!

Sep 6, 2015 8:55 AM in response to SeaPapp

Thanks for all your help so far.

I still have a challenge: I'm able to remove Megabackup through Activity Monitor, BUT I cannot remove "Megabackup Agent." It won't go to the trash (it just floats back to the Activity Monitor window. Consequently, it seems, I cannot move the Megabackup icon to the trash from the Applications folder.

What is "MegaBackup"? How do I remove "MegaBackup" from a macbook air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.